• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

For me it would have to be the Ozark Mountain courses in Missouri. It is a shame that the new owner hasn't done a better job of maintaining them during the grass growing months because I always described that property as disc golf the way God intended it. You won't get any amenities, but you will come closer to God when playing :) I am playing the Pine, CO area courses this Sept so maybe that experience will change my mind....but I doubt it.

I played on a temp safari course through Ausble Chasm in NY. They had an event with the 4 steady ed floppy discs from DGA. You could only use those discs they were provided as the players pack. Shots were down cliffsides, across the chasm, and through huge cracks in the rocks. To complete the course they had raft rides to get you from hole to hole and kayakers in the water to retrieve your disc if you went in the water (2 of those floppy discs from that set float). It was a ton of fun!!

Having not been out west yet, I am going to go with The Rock at Stonewall in Germanton, NC. Since they mix ball and disc golf on the same course simultaneously, they require everyone to use a cart. Which is good because it is not likely anyone would survive walking those cart paths. Heck, the carts barely make it. Next in line is Ashe County in West Jefferson, NC

Nothing too crazy as far as free climbing up mountains or anything but the most extreme settings I've played in and holes I've thrown were at:

Sugaree
Whippin' Post
Nockamixon

I couldn't pick just one, so here are the most extreme courses I have played so far...

Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort (#1 on my list because we had to walk all the way up the the 1st tee.)
Brian Head Mountain
Bucksnort
Coyote Point--Lake Casitas
Skyline Wilderness
Stafford Lake
Bailey
Flyboy
Holler in the Hills

There is a course just outside of Bremerton Washington, on the road to Silverdale? Maybe NAD? Anyway, I played it about eight years ago. When I got there, it was roped off for munitions removal, someone had found a shell. I had come a good ways and, well, I played it anyway. Got to the end and the removal crew had arrived. They shook their heads and gave me the, "what a dumbass," look. I have to admit, I walked very gingerly and with much fear. Now, if I ever catch my sons doing something that stupid, I'm kicking some donkey.

Every year the Southern IL Chain Gang holds the Collinsville Extreme. The pins are moved to their extreme locations and different mandos, water shots, and island greens are used for this one day event. Playing the round without going OB one time is dang near impossible.

The Ozark Mountain courses are the most extreme courses I have played. But then again, I'm only at 52 courses played!

Makoshika State Park in Montana would be the most extreme I have played. It is a fairly easy course but they make up for it with the beautiful scenery while being able to play disc golf in the Badlands.

The Ozark Mountain courses are VERY extreme! Very fun and unique. I just played the new Harmony Bends course in Columbia and would say it is fairly similar (terrain wise) to Ozark Mt.

Being from northwest Ohio, most of the courses if played are rather flat. Johnny Sias's private course, Lucky 8 in WV, is pretty crazy.

The course outside of Lindrith, New Mexico is my extreme submission. Partly in a Pinon Pine forest, partly in a canyon/badlands area. Way out in the middle of nothingness but a really cool way to spend a weekend camping and discing. I'm not sure it's still available it's been quite some time since I've played it.

I played on a temp safari course through Ausble Chasm in NY. They had an event with the 4 steady ed floppy discs from DGA. You could only use those discs they were provided as the players pack. Shots were down cliffsides, across the chasm, and through huge cracks in the rocks. To complete the course they had raft rides to get you from hole to hole and kayakers in the water to retrieve your disc if you went in the water (2 of those floppy discs from that set float). It was a ton of fun!!

I hope there will be some more of those. I don't see any listed on DGA's website. :\

I hope there will be some more of those. I don't see any listed on DGA's website. :\

Sadly the camp director that ran these events moved on to a different job. Here is the flyer from the last one I went to the 2 annual ones before this one. See the pic? Yes those players on the cliff are at the tee box....also what you don't see is there is water between the basket and the cliff. these were the kinda shots you took at his tournament.
steady-ed-safari-iii-1467179786-large.jpg

In Arizona, Snowbowl is tough, hard to breathe, and can break you down. Buffalo Ridge in the summer at 115 degrees is tough to finish 27 holes.

Where's Black Jack DGC? It didn't come up when I searched here on DGCR.

OK now I found this when turning on the button to show extinct courses. Any word whether Black Jack will be open again someday?