• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Underrated Disc Golf States

^^^sigh. Looks like I'll bag most of the 18s in the OR/WA I-5 corridor, courses in and north of Boise, and maybe a fall swing through N. CA/Tahoe/Reno, but some of the fabled places like MI/OH/NC/PA will just have to wait till I can "Dewgarita" my life a bit more than it already is. :p :D

I might suggest swinging up into North Idaho/Eastern WA if you can. Here in Spokane (which is like twenty minutes from Idaho) we have Four Mound, which is a great destination spot with three courses. It's rugged, chunky terrain with great views and some really memorable holes. You could swing in to North Idaho and play the three courses at Farragut; one so-so, one good, and one excellent 4-4.5 star course (AWOL/Double Black Diamond).

^^^Yep, that area is on my radar, but I'll have about a week to pick up my vehicle in Everett, drive to Salem, and then out to Boise to find a place to live for the summer while doing wildfire, so it might not happen till next late spring.

I'm going to have to put my $5 down for Maine as being completely underrated. Not a lot of players in Maine on DGCR and most of the courses are pay-to-play which turns off a lot whom are used to free courses. We have a very active group and our own tour separate from the PDGA.

Come out this summer for a week and play!

+1 for Maine! :clap::thmbup::)

Ive never been to Maine...but New York (ironically the media capital of the world) has some of the best disc golf I've encountered

^^^sigh. Looks like I'll bag most of the 18s in the OR/WA I-5 corridor, courses in and north of Boise, and maybe a fall swing through N. CA/Tahoe/Reno, but some of the fabled places like MI/OH/NC/PA will just have to wait till I can "Dewgarita" my life a bit more than it already is. :p :D

you should make a swing off of the I-5 and come over and play some Humboldt disc golf.

^^^Definitely in the N. CA plans. Besides, I want to look for a spring "gardening" job there. :p :D

Washington DC? i was thinking making a monument walk/toss course so you could play it at night and see all the sights but still be respectful of the monuments too.

Oklahoma is rarely spoken about, but houses some really great courses. Pretty good course-to-population ratio as well, so there's not much waiting around in these parts.

I'm probably biased though, seeming that I live in Oklahoma. That being said, I've often heard of Z-Bo being referred to as one of the best courses in the DFW area of Texas and after playing it, I would rather play 3 or 4 courses within a 15 mile radius of my house. Pretty good discing to be had in the OK state....

I've only played in Texas. I want to play elsewhere to check out the scene. I hear the Colorado courses are great. I can't imagine a bad course in Louisiana unless you try to be bad. Oklahoma has great land for it... and I'm sure they've installed some awesome courses around Tulsa. Going to get up there sometime soon.

New Mexico should have great courses, but you never know. P.Katt is a really good course designer in West Texas. I bet he could work wonders in New Mexico... to make good courses out of the West Texas terrain is very challenging... he's done a great job.

I wouldn't know where under rated disc golf would be...
Thanks Eegor! When I started, that is what I figured would be the challenge....making a fun and challenging course out of 'not much to work with' in some cases. I travel extensively in the region and really am just selfish - I want good courses to play. I am sooooo upset when a course is installed by someone who simply does not know good design issues (and more importantly does not accept offers to help them get a good course). Oh well.

I haven't been playing long enough to have been out of state yet, but we'll be down in Texas next month and playing in the Dallas area, so I'm excited for that. I would like to mention though, that Iowa does have the most courses per capita, and of the 6 we've ventured to in our "neighbor hood" of the state I've liked them all, all for different reasons. I def suggest the following: Gateway Hills in Ames, Big Creek State Park, Walnut Ridge in Johnston, and I have the feeling our local course in Boone will be awesome as soon as they finish cleaning it up :)

How many people have seen this thread, searched their state, read the posts on it, and gone about heir day without reading the rest? That's what I always do on these kind of threads.

Of course, those of you who do that are not reading this
ConspiracyKeanu.jpeg

How many people have seen this thread, searched their state, read the posts on it, and gone about heir day without reading the rest? That's what I always do on these kind of threads.

I will admit, I didn't read everything. I just got excited when IA got mentioned in the middle somewhere

Most underrated disc golf states in my opinion are Iowa and Arizona.

Iowa has a ton of really nice challenging "prairie style" golf courses. Being from MN and whole heartedly believing our disc golf is superior to everywhere else, it was hard to convince me to drive down to Iowa to play disc. I'm glad I did.

Arizona is underrated because of Phoenix and Flagstaff. Phoenix has terrible disc golf. Flagstaff has AWESOME disc golf. Most people have only played Phoenix courses so they have a lower opinion of Arizona as a whole. Only Phoenix deserves this bad reputation.

Phoenix is kind of bad for disc golf, but we have Buffalo Ridge, Vista del Camino, and Fountain Hills. Other than that, the other courses are terrible. I'm going to Flagstaff this weekend to play NAU, McPherson, and Thorpe. This will be my first time discing in Flag and I'm looking forward to it!

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but here in Alabama we have some of the best courses I have played anywhere. Huntsville and Mobile both are great disc golf destinations. They have lots of courses and lots of variety. Pretty much any kind of course you wanna play.

Latest posts