• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Underrated Disc Golf States

Bikinimower

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
We've all heard of the Best States for Disc Golf, Michigan ,Wisconsin, Oregon Texas. (Just a few examples please don't start attacking me if I left your favorite state off the list) But what about the underrated ones? Are there any States out there that deserve more love then they are getting.

I have noticed that West Virginia never gets any credit but every time I play a WVA course I end up loving it. So I did a little checking

WVA only has 15 courses with 18 or more holes. But what they lack in Quantity they more than make up for in Quality. Out of those 15 course 8 are rated a 4 or higher and 13 of the 15 are rated a 3 or better. Every single one is rated 2.5 or better, not too shabby. I could be wrong but I bet per capita (I know the populations are different) West Virginia is at the top of the list on states with great courses

I've played the New River Gorge course and even though It's lowest rated course in WVA it was still fun as hell

I think the reason for this is the land. I know West Virginia has a bad reputation but the wooded mountain land out there is beautiful and absolutely perfect for Disc Golf but it seems like every time I play a course, it empty. The residents out there enjoy the outdoors more then most people do but It just doesn't seem like the sport has caught on there as well as it could have.

Lucky 8 Rating: 5.00, Whippin' Post 4.50, The Woodshed Rating: 4.42, Orange Crush - Rating: 4.15, Rotary Park - Rating: 3.94, The Black course- Rating: 3.90, Seth Burton Memorial DGC - Rating: 3.84, The Timberdoodle Thicket: 3.8. All are great courses, go play a few WVA courses before you tell me how wrong I am

We've all heard of the Best States for Disc Golf, Michigan ,Wisconsin, Oregon Texas. (Just a few examples please don't start attacking me if I left your favorite state off the list) But what about the underrated ones? Are there any States out there that deserve more love then they are getting.

All are great courses, go play a few WVA courses before you tell me how wrong I am

No need to tell you that you are wrong.. cause you originally asked an opinion question. I have nothing else to add to this conversation because I have only played dg courses in MI.

If Georgia was smaller or more centralized, it'd be perfect, tons of great disc golf to be had here.

Well with two of the top ten here I would have to say Colorado. The courses keep popping up here and lately they have been home runs. Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, Colorado Heights University, Sakuna Pines, Jelly Stone, Johnny Roberts. Must plays out here for sure!

Illinois...Joilet and Peoria area both have several great courses...add in fountain hills in centralia

Illinois gets a bad rap because of the populated area around Chicago and it's insane amount of 9 hole courses but outside of Chicago, the state of Illinois isn't that bad.

Well with two of the top ten here I would have to say Colorado. The courses keep popping up here and lately they have been home runs. Beaver Ranch, Phantom Falls, Colorado Heights University, Sakuna Pines, Jelly Stone, Johnny Roberts. Must plays out here for sure!

Yes, yes, and yes!

Love me some Colorado Disc Golf!

Dude VA golf is the best! We got the Grange, Hawk Hollow, Newquarter, Giles etc.

Illinois gets a bad rap because of the populated area around Chicago and it's insane amount of 9 hole courses but outside of Chicago, the state of Illinois isn't that bad.
Yes and no. It's better now as in the last five years or so some very solid courses have gone in. They are very spread out, though. If you try to road trip through Illinois, you end up playing a lot of forgettable golf between the good courses. It is better than when I lived there. Ten years ago you would play a lot of forgettable golf between the courses that were just below average. Overall Illinois has improved, but IMO it's still in the bottom 1/2.

I've never been but I've heard Pennsylvania has some really good courses.

I was going to add to this conversation by listing some states. Then I came to the realization that I was about to nearly every state that I've played. It would be much easier to list the states with no great disc golf: Rhode Island. People will ask me "Where's the best area you've played" obviously there's some areas that stand out more than others, but really, I don't have an answer. Every area has its surprises and great courses.

There is no wrong answer here. Ok, even Rhode island was mildly enjoyable... I won't be returning for the disc golf scene.

^^^I was going to post something; and also realized that there is something good to said for almost everywhere these days. The mid Atlantic, in general, is under rated.

i haven't had the chance to play any of the courses in the chicagoland area, but have hit a lot of courses along i74 from the quad cities down to champaign, and south along i57, and along i64 into st louis. there are some nice courses and there are some ones not playing twice, but there have been a TON of new courses going in over the past 5 years or so it seems. obviously every course built won't be a nt level course, but more courses means more options, which means more people playing.

i'd love to see some kind of traveling tournament series within the state, and think there are enough quality courses to hold an even every month or so. but that's a lot of time and resources to get it up and running.

Delaware. Most courses per square mile and i think all but 1 are rated a 3 or greater.

Dude VA golf is the best! We got the Grange, Hawk Hollow, Newquarter, Giles etc.

^^^^^^^^You could add so many these. In Southwest VA we have some of the hardest wooded courses I've ever played. Plus, Walnut Creek in Charlottesville could be top ten in the country if more people played in this state to rate it.

I would also add to the list, PA. The Pittsburgh area specifically has three 4+ rated courses within 40 minutes of each other.

I think Vermont is overlooked too often. Most are pay to play, and winters are long, but the scenery is beautiful and the courses are great.

agreed,I'm not sure if its underrated, but just not on the OPs list.

both Pittsburgh and Philly have multiple championship level courses near by. Pennsylvania has some beautiful state parks.

I've never been but I've heard Pennsylvania has some really good courses.