• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mountain Golf

916er

Any tips on discs to use when playing at 5800 feet? I've heard using lighter discs works better, but I'm not really sure. I mainly use a 168 destroyer and a 169 wraith.

Lighter or more understable. Thinner air means less aerodynamic effects and therefore less high speed turn; all your discs are going to behave more overstably than you're accustomed to.

I live and play at 5280' and I use all types of weights and discs. I have never played at sea level so I have to type of comparison, however, EricJ who has both played here in Colorado and live/plays in Texas says that there is little to no difference.

I had asked the same question in a earlier thread.

I live and play at 5280' and I use all types of weights and discs. I have never played at sea level so I have to type of comparison, however, EricJ who has both played here in Colorado and live/plays in Texas says that there is little to no difference.

I had asked the same question in a earlier thread.

Thanks for the info. I am coming out to Colorado with my high school students Thursday. I am planning to play Cottonwood Creek in Colorado Springs, where we are spending the majority of our time. I am also going to be able to fit in Beaver Creek/Conifer before we come home next Monday. I was wondering if there would be any difference. I can't wait to experience Rocky Mountain disc golf!!

Definately bring your most beaten plastic! Bring the disc you took out of your bag a long time ago because all it ever did was flip over. Then throw that one... it will fly straight. When I play the wrightwood course (@ ~6500' in CA), I mostly throw putters (they'll glide forever) and super beaten dx plastic discs (i found a 150 archangel on a mountain course... and it flew great! you would never catch me with a 150 AA anywhere else in the world).
If it turns left (RHBH) at low elevation... it's going to go crazy left (like a brand new firebird left) on the mountain.
Have fun up there.
DSCJNKY

Thanks for the info. I am coming out to Colorado with my high school students Thursday. I am planning to play Cottonwood Creek in Colorado Springs, where we are spending the majority of our time.

That's cool. I have played at this course few times. No major weight or disc changes for me to use as compared to East coast. Any good discs that you are comfortable with will do fine at this course.

BTW, you should check out Red Mountain Sports for awesome lines of discs and stuff!! Its right in downtown Colorado Springs in historic Old Colorado City.

Tahoe= Overstable

We just got back from a trip to Tahoe and I will say the three people in my group would agree sea level to 6200 makes a difference. We had all our usual disc just diving left(rhbh) Thats what I have seen any way. Some people may say no difference but from playing on the coast most to the mountains, I think there is.

Good call on making the trip up to Beaver Ranch. I live in So Cal and play La Mirada all the time, but my parents live in Colorado and as such I have played many of the courses there including Beaver Ranch which is my favorite Colorado Course. Be sure to bring brightly colored discs as you could spend a lot of time looking for the disc that took that slight deflection off a tree.

As far as the discs are concerned it will be most noticable on the longer holes when you are really trying to gun your discs out there. I had a hard time this past trip back to Colorado getting my discs to flip for me like they normally do in So Cal. Those beat in discs that you may have retired might be a good choice but in the long run you want to throw what feel most comfortable to you. Hope that helps.