• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I have never looked at the Top 10. I have read enough reviews on here to realize that everything must be taken with a very large grain of salt. Somehow the 5 disc review that is two sentences long from a guy that can't put together a coherent thought doesn't really influence me much.

Hmm, sounds like some of you are coming around to the very conclusion that I've been carping about for two years now. Where's the vindication smiley at?

Well, to those who thought I was nuts, this will have to do.
url

The very presence of the Top 10 list gives the courses on it artificial promotion. That's why things hardly move on it. If it weren't so prominently displayed, I think it would look differently and change a bit more often.

I also agree with Mando that the review standard is too high. That's the other, if not bigger thing keeping the list so static. I understand the rationale of making a credible standard to keep some biased homers from getting their decent but otherwise not outstanding course on there, but does anyone really think that those folks come in packs of up to 19 people?

I don't pay attention to the top courses list. 5, 10 or 20. From my experience on this site, when I am looking for info on a course that I haven't played I can easily find good info either thru the course description, the reviews, the photos and map or a combination of any of the above.
That's what I think the intention for this website was in the first place. The top 10 listing is just something people use for bragging rights for their local course(s). I know here in the Cincy area the ratings and reviews on Idlewild are paid attention to very closely by the players and designers of the course.

Noticed a new comer today...Winter Park out.

It might be outta the top 10 cause of it's location. There is not a lot of other "great" courses around it to make it a worth while destination. So it doesn't get the reviews #'s up on a consistent basis. Flip City has good courses surrounding it. Same thing with Highbridge complex. Same thing with Idlewild. Blue ribbon pines, etc.....

If you look at the ratings from "Trusted Reviewers Only," most of the "Top 10" courses would be rated even higher. For example, Flip City would be rated at 4.98, and Flyboy would be at 4.90. With that said, the trusted reviewers are only a small fraction of the reviewers on either of these courses. Better to read the reviews for a course than go by rating alone.

Seriously, that list is for wide-eyed noobs. It's like watching the "world's strongest animals" on APL and having the ant be #1, it's 100% subjective.

Top ten list is quite solid. Before too many more years; top twenty or thirty would all be destination spots.

Seriously, that list is for wide-eyed noobs. It's like watching the "world's strongest animals" on APL and having the ant be #1, it's 100% subjective.

damn them ants are strong... thats probably why prerube wont go back to ZEB

Top ten list is quite solid. Before too many more years; top twenty or thirty would all be destination spots.

It's as valid as most anything else on this website. An accummulation of opinions, filtered by certain criteria.

OK, the maps on this site are objective, and the course info mostly objective (and accurate). The rest is opinions......

Which is part of what makes it all so valuable and entertaining.

I say, take the "Top 10" for what it is, and don't sweat it. Not, at least, until someone starts handing out big-money grants to the winners.

I'm sure they are all deserving courses; the few that I've been to are most excellent. But it's kind of a perpetuating cycle. People will go to the courses in the top ten, so they get more reviews, and chances are more 5* reviews out of a preconceived notion or fear of thumbs-down.

Like, oh, this is a top 10 course, it's a 5 no doubt. Maybe not for the trusted reviewers, but for the person who does one review.

Conversely, the courses that don't qualify due to the lower # of reviews are a lot more hidden, and won't get the exposure, or have the added pressure of thumbs down for a less than stellar rating. It almost skews the ratings so the top ten get higher ratings, IMO.

But, based on the abuse idlewild has been getting, maybe not...

It'd be nice to see what the Trusted Reviewer top ten would be. I don't know if it's possible to get that list from the search.

I'm sure they are all deserving courses; the few that I've been to are most excellent. But it's kind of a perpetuating cycle. People will go to the courses in the top ten, so they get more reviews, and chances are more 5* reviews out of a preconceived notion or fear of thumbs-down.

Like, oh, this is a top 10 course, it's a 5 no doubt. Maybe not for the trusted reviewers, but for the person who does one review.

Conversely, the courses that don't qualify due to the lower # of reviews are a lot more hidden, and won't get the exposure, or have the added pressure of thumbs down for a less than stellar rating. It almost skews the ratings so the top ten get higher ratings, IMO.

But, based on the abuse idlewild has been getting, maybe not...

:hfive:

true I dont trust the ratings as gospel I view it more as a quideline.....though in some cases Ive found the ratings to be off...overall the site does a decent job

I used to always check out the top 10....I never look anymore

Check out the top rated courses - ALL - sorted by rating of those with 5+ reviews, in my signature

Still no easy way to search and sort by TR ratings only.

I enjoy watching the Top 10, especially as my local course Deer Lakes has climbed in the rankings, although it gives me this very odd sense of both pride and despair.

On the one hand, it makes for a nice soundbite at local events promoting the sport: "Come play disc golf at the #5-rated course in the country!"

On the other hand, it's sort of disappointing that there aren't many courses around the country that have garnered a similar level of praise to Deer Lakes, which makes me a little sad for the state of course design/development in our sport. It's a great park and a great course--which I think deserves the highest rating of the small number I've seen--and took a lot of work (I only came to Pittsburgh toward the tail end) but it didn't require alchemy to come into existence.

Bottom line: #5-rated course is a nice badge now, but I hope that Deer Lakes becomes the #5-rated course in just Pittsburgh alone in 10-15 years.

It's as valid as most anything else on this website. An accummulation of opinions, filtered by certain criteria.

OK, the maps on this site are objective, and the course info mostly objective (and accurate). The rest is opinions......

Which is part of what makes it all so valuable and entertaining.

I say, take the "Top 10" for what it is, and don't sweat it. Not, at least, until someone starts handing out big-money grants to the winners.

^ that

I'd like to see regional top tens with lower minimums,northeast, mid-atlantic,southeast...it would be a nice feature for traveling to different parts of the country.

Latest posts