• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Here's my question,are people lowballing top 10 and top 25 courses just to knock them off the lists ? I'm seeing alot of that lately. Brakewell,Harmon Hills,Winter Park...

I mean that's the thing, its really hard to vote on courses, but I think any one that in some point in time was top 10, unless locally made that way, should be atleast a 4. Like I get that people sometimes give flip city a 4, it's a great course, my personal favorite, but some people don't want the luster in a field of dreams style course, they want something like Idlewild.

Now if courses had a great parks department and then they stopped, and forgot about it, that could change it. I've played courses that I've changed the rating one a year later because it's over grown and forgotten.

10 or 11.

Last edited:
Ya'll aren't paying attention. Vermont does have 25+ courses. They just don't get played/reviewed that much. Only 5 qualify for the 10+ review requirement.

VT has to have one of the best courses or at least destinations in all of new england in Black Falls/Cherry Hills

was taken from this thread

Here's my question,are people lowballing top 10 and top 25 courses just to knock them off the lists ? I'm seeing alot of that lately. Brakewell,Harmon Hills,Winter Park...
I tend to think so, but there's also a lot a less skilled players out there that don't know what a good course really is. I just got back from Brakewell - Animal and that should be a top 10 course.

I tend to think so, but there's also a lot a less skilled players out there that don't know what a good course really is. I just got back from Brakewell - Animal and that should be a top 10 course.
I could not agree more,Brakewell is awesome. I wish it was just a matter of ignorance to explain lowballing, but there's something else going on...

There's also a tendency for courses to start out with a flurry of really high reviews. Locals are eager to get them on here, and whether by deliberate homerism, lack of experience, or just pride, they initiate the course with high ratings. This brings in other, more traveled, more objective reviewers, and the rating dips.

Of course, you'd have to measure whether the courses whose standing dropped did so because their rating drop, or because newer courses jumped them.

Once a course has 20 or 30 reviews, you have to really lowball it, or get a lot of people lowballing it, to move the overall rating much.

There's also a tendency for courses to start out with a flurry of really high reviews. Locals are eager to get them on here, and whether by deliberate homerism, lack of experience, or just pride, they initiate the course with high ratings. This brings in other, more traveled, more objective reviewers, and the rating dips.

Of course, you'd have to measure whether the courses whose standing dropped did so because their rating drop, or because newer courses jumped them.

Once a course has 20 or 30 reviews, you have to really lowball it, or get a lot of people lowballing it, to move the overall rating much.
Actually, it only took 2 back to back 4's to drop harmon hills from 4 to 10. It's when you get over 100 reviews that ratings are harder to move. I think that the same homerism that is often villified for inflating ratings is also at work deflating the competition by lowballing.

IMO Winter Park never really was a top ten course...can't speak for the others.

I agree that if people are dropping bad reviews just to knock things off the list that's pretty lame. If you think a review is suspect, point it out to timg and he'll make the judgement call on whether or not it's legit and whether or not it might need to be removed.

Actually, it only took 2 back to back 4's to drop harmon hills from 4 to 10. It's when you get over 100 reviews that ratings are harder to move. I think that the same homerism that is often villified for inflating ratings is also at work deflating the competition by lowballing.

Was that lowballing, or accurate reviews chipping away at the inflated early reviews?

Was that lowballing, or accurate reviews chipping away at the inflated early reviews?

There was a big rumor I think back in the day that people from Idlewild were low balling flip city and vise versa (I think) when they were both 1 and 2

I'm pretty sure that tim is more interested in the number of reviews on this site, rather than the accuracy of them. Otherwise, he would not have dropped the requirement of playing all the holes in order to write a review.

I'm pretty sure that tim is more interested in the number of reviews on this site, rather than the accuracy of them. Otherwise, he would not have dropped the requirement of playing all the holes in order to write a review.

Yeah but like one time there was 5 reviews or something in a row all from accounts with only that review and all lowballing or high balling a course and I am pretty sure someone reported it and they had similar IP addresses so he deleted them all.

I thought he just didn't like having to pay some much money. He griped about the $40 in both of his reviews. There was definitely a certain amount of copying and pasting going on with his reviews.

Nope. You misunderstand my take on the $40 cart fee. I count the pay to play as a positive. I was simply noting in the negative column what you don't get if you don't pay the $40 (and if all the carts are taken). For those two courses (and for any two good courses) my $40 half of the bill was a pittance. I'd like to see more pay to play.

Latest posts