• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I guess it's "all in the presentation!"

Biscoe: Cow poop artiste extrodinaire.

I'll have to make it out there some day. :hfive:

*spit polishes diamond TR icon to make sure he gets in the door*
*realizes he just rubbed saliva all over his screen*

Last edited:
Hey Cerealman,

Sugaree is 4.75 with 18 TR's...btw, the feeling is mutual. Don't stub your toe, brother.

I ran the numbers for "Trusted Reviewers only" ratings on the top 26 rated courses on DGCR. Interesting results. Of course, some courses are rewarded or punished by their small sample size ...

Top Twenty – Trusted Reviewer ratings only
(Number of reviews in parenthesis)

1. Harmony Bends – 5.00 (7)
2. Selah Ranch Lakeside – 4.933 (15)
3. Flip City – 4.858 (53)
4. Maple Hill – 4.85 (30)
5. Idlewild – 4.824 (68)
6. Highbridge Hills Blueberry – 4.816 (19)
7. Bucksnort – 4.75 (8)
Sugaree 4.75 (18)
9. Harmon Hills – 4.7 (25)
(tie) Rollin Ridge- 4.7 (20)
(tie) Highbridge Hills Gold – 4.7 (15)
10. Deer Lakes – 4.679 (11)
11. Tyler State Park East – 4.667 (12)
12. Moraine State Park – 4.661 (31)
13. Beaver Ranch – 4.660 (28)
14. Fairfield Park – 4.633 (15)
15. Lake Claiborne SP Whitetail – 4.6 (5)
16. Wildcat Bluff – 4.591 (11)
17. Selah Ranch Creekside – 4.589 (17)
18. Blue Ribbon Pines – 4.557 (26)
19. Riverbend – 4.546 (22)
Do your homework.

im sure this has come up before - but i wish the ratings included the tr rating.

Last edited:
TRs only, * indicates courses that don't have 20 regular reviews yet

name-- rating-- number of reviews

Harmony Bends-- 5.0-- 7
*Frost Valley-- 5.0-- 2
*Lake Marshall - Lions-- 5.0-- 1
*Branson Trails - Blue-- 5.0-- 1
*Smuggler's Notch - Fox Run-- 5.0-- 1
Selah Lakeside-- 4.93-- 15
Flyboy-- 4.92-- 18
Flip City-- 4.86-- 53
Maple Hill-- 4.85-- 30
Idlewild-- 4.82-- 68
HB Blueberry-- 4.82-- 19
Sugaree-- 4.75-- 18
Bucksnort-- 4.75-- 8
Harmon Hills-- 4.7-- 25
Rollin Ridge-- 4.7-- 20
HB Gold-- 4.7-- 15
Hawk Hollow-- 4.68-- 14
Deer Lakes-- 4.68-- 11
Tyler East-- 4.67-- 12
*Muddy Run-- 4.67-- 3
Moraine-- 4.66-- 31
Beaver Ranch-- 4.66-- 28
Fairfield Park-- 4.63-- 15
*Birds of Paradise-- 4.63-- 4
Lake Claiborne - Whitetail-- 4.6-- 5
Selah Creekside-- 4.59-- 17
Wildcat Bluff-- 4.59-- 11
Blue Ribbon Pines-- 4.56-- 26
Riverbend-- 4.55-- 22
Phantom Falls-- 4.53-- 17
*Hobbs Farm-- 4.5-- 7
VisionQuest-- 4.5-- 5
Langley Pond-- 4.5-- 4
*Tyler West-- 4.5-- 4
*Flat Creek-- 4.5-- 1
*501-- 4.5-- 1
*China Peak-- 4.5-- 1
Sabbattus - Eagle-- 4.42-- 6
Black Falls-- 4.31-- 8
Smuggler's Notch - Brewster Ridge-- 4.13 8
*Lake Claiborne - Dogwood-- 4.1-- 5

Does Flyboy even still exist? I know he originally removed it from here to reduce traffic, but it could still be potentially played. Is that still the case?

agreed. plus i also think it would be easy to add a tr number rating below the full rating.
for example - harmony bends - see thumbnail

rating:
ooooo
tr - 5.00

it would be cool if you could tailor a search with TR ratings only, its a lot of work otherwise

Attachments

• harmony bends.jpg
    harmony bends.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 38
^ I like the idea, but I think the obstacle is that the list of TR's is continuously changing... always adding more TR's (and potentially dropping some, of helpfuls drop below 40% threshold).

Perhaps Tim will chime in.

Plus you can filter to see TR ratings for any given course, which doesn't require a massive recalc on an ongoing basis.

Harmon is one of my favorite courses but I can see where people don't think as highly of it. The front 18 I've always described as Hawk Hollow lite. Then the back 9 is to rugged for some people's taste. If you super care about equipment you can bump it there as well.

Though to me when you put it all together it's one the funnest and diverse courses you can play. It may not not hold up to newer designs but saying it isn't a fantastic course is just hating.

That's a great way to put it. I haven't played Hawk Hollow (one day, one day) but I can see this. The first 18 of Harmon is great golf but mostly lacks wow factor (unless you're wowed by rolling farmland) and the final 9 is like adventure golf, like its own separate 9 hole course.

Count me as one who thinks Langley is slightly Overrated. Though when I played it it was miserably overgrown.

Don't get me a wrong, Very good course just not top 10

^ I like the idea, but I think the obstacle is that the list of TR's is continuously changing... always adding more TR's (and potentially dropping some, of helpfuls drop below 40% threshold).

Perhaps Tim will chime in.

Plus you can filter to see TR ratings for any given course, which doesn't require a massive recalc on an ongoing basis.

that should be no different than the fact that new reviews are always changing the rating.

you can filter for TR ratings but having them attached to the course page as a permanent, searchable field would make it easier to do course searches.

that should be no different than the fact that new reviews are always changing the rating...
Sure, from the user standpoint there's no difference because you just click a button and you see the reviews and maybe there's a retabulation in the backgroun. As for TimG's side of things he would have to set the review page to be able to tabulate an average rating based on reviews from a list of reviewers which is not simply "all reviews" as he has things setup currently. This would involve something like creating a new table just for the trusted reviewers which he would have to move people into as they gained that status. Even if he doesn't move the trusted reviewers, the account property that grants them that status would now have to be accounted for in course ratings and he would have to rewrite a lot of crap to make this work. He's a smart guy. I'm sure he could figure it out. I just wouldn't hold your breath that this is a project he wants to take on.

Let's say this feature was implemented and it was extremely popular. I have a concern for validity of those future trusted reviewer's reviews. There would be a potential corruption since each course would only have a couple trusted reviewer reviews. A few of these reviewers could give poor rating to a private course who didn't let the trusted reviewer play for free or they could inflate course ratings due to personal relationships with designers, land owners, etc.

Of course I hope that would not happen but it is a possibility - if that feature were to become a big deal.

In the end, if you're on the fence about playing a course and a trusted reviewer's review is what will turn your "maybe I'll play it" into an "I'll probably play it" then don't waste your time traveling to that course. It's great that a lot of people take a lot of time and care to review a course in such a detailed way but it's not like trip advisor where you're trying to decide on spending $$$$ to goto country X or $$$$ to goto country Y. I don't think having a trusted reviewer-only rating would be that great in the end.

Latest posts