• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

OPTI . . .I love that you know why you rated a course a certain way and you defend it . . . you clearly have the knowledge and experience to know what you like and dislike and what is good and bad.

I have decided to stop reviewing courses . . . because there were too many hurt feelings and other issues it seemed to create . . . people just don't get that I expect more out of disc golf and its courses . . . can anyone blast and blame me for that? Sure I guess it is all just opinion . . . but I am doing it to better our sport and courses. . . but I will always offer my opinion if it is requested. Just be prepared for what I have to say . . . because I say it to try to make things better.

One thing working against me in the past . . . 80% of the courses I have played . . . I have only played once so as I mentioned this past week at the PDGA Designers Conference . . . I have only seen a small moment in time in the life of a course so I cannot understand all that had happened before or all the hard work that was done . . . I only saw it the one time. BUT we are only as good as our latest impression.

That's life!

Last edited:
OPTI . . .I love that you know why you rated a course a certain way and you defend it . . . you clearly have the knowledge and experience to know what you like and dislike and what is good and bad.

I have decided to stop reviewing courses . . . because there were too many hurt feelings and other issues it seemed to create . . . people just don't get that I expect more out of disc golf and its courses . . . can anyone blast and blame me for that? Sure I guess it is all just opinion . . . but I am doing it to better our sport and courses. . . but I will always offer my opinion if it is requested. Just be prepared for what I have to say . . . because I say it to try to make things better.

I have quit reviewing courses for the same reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this issue.

Well I'm playing Tyler in three weeks so I guess I'll get to see what all the fuss is about. Wish we could hit Maple Hill on this trip as well but as many have said, it's out of the way. Hopefully Tyler is still in the Top Ten so I can say I've played 3 Top Ten courses (I'm counting Flyboy in that three don't judge me).

There's a thread about - how far would you drive to play a course. According to google maps, Tyler and Maple Hill are approx. 4:20 away from each other. Probably oughta have a home-and-away, the locals from each course, winners' course gets to stay in the top ten.

There's a thread about - how far would you drive to play a course. According to google maps, Tyler and Maple Hill are approx. 4:20 away from each other. Probably oughta have a home-and-away, the locals from each course, winners' course gets to stay in the top ten.

It's certainly doable. When I played Tyler, it was a stop on my way home to NH from Richmond. That drive takes me right by Maple Hill too.

I certainly didn't give Tyler a 4 just to get Maple Hill into the top ten. But I will say that I think they're now in the correct order. Tyler State Park isn't even in the same realm as Maple Hill.

You should have gone to Nocky, although I don't understand your hate of Iron Hill.

Tyler was more on my way and I figured it would be a good chance to experience a top ten course. One which, by rating at the time, was better than any other I'd ever played.

I didn't hate Iron Hill. I gave it a "good" rating.

IMO they rank out like this;

1. Maple Hill
2. Nocky
3. Iron Hill
4. Tyler State Park

LOVED the top 2.

Iron Hill was a everything I expected. A beast of a course. Top shelf for sure. Very memorable.

Tyler is a great course, but for me, it lacks the wow factor of the others.

Nocky was the last course to prompt me to do a review (a full year ago :\) because it was so much more than expected. Maple and Nocky are definitely in my fav's.

Doesn't Tyler have a much more desirable layout though? Has a majority of the people in here who have played both played the more desirable Tyler layout, whatever that is?

One of the things that will determine top ten courses in the near future (especially for "single courses" as opposed to multi course complexes); is to have multiple pins in the ground; and allow players to select whatever layout they desire.
I have been encouraging this at Rollin' Ridge and have heard it may become a reality there....
*It appears that pins are rarely in long configuration at Tyler; which makes sense; from a local perspective. However, traveler's end up bumming a bit.... Up until very recently, good reviewers have needed to take this into consideration (though many have a tough time doing so). However, there are now becoming more courses that have multiple baskets in the ground at all times....though it's infrequent at present...*

I just played Tyler on Monday for the first time. I was also underwhelmed. The golf was fun but on every third hole you look 400 ft further down the fairway and think about the possibilities. There's also a heinous poison ivy problem on a few of the open holes. I would probably rank Tyler after Iron HIll, Deer Lakes, and Moraine, definitely after Nockamixon and Maple Hill. If Tyler had permanent long pins, it would be a tough call where to place it.

I just played Tyler on Monday for the first time. I was also underwhelmed. The golf was fun but on every third hole you look 400 ft further down the fairway and think about the possibilities. There's also a heinous poison ivy problem on a few of the open holes. I would probably rank Tyler after Iron HIll, Deer Lakes, and Moraine, definitely after Nockamixon and Maple Hill. If Tyler had permanent long pins, it would be a tough call where to place it.

Courses like that are tough to rate when the long layout is spectacular but the course is often in short or mixed layouts. I have the same complaint about Grey Fox in Wisconsin, the longs are a 4.5 worthy course but the shorts are only a 3-3.5 layout and it's almost always in a mixed layout.

Have you reviewed it yet? The more reviews (good, bad, and mediocre) that all these courses get, the better. I haven't played Tyler, but I hit Nocky on the way home from Bonaroo last year and it was incredible, even playing with my off hand due to a fracture. I would put it below Maple hill, but barely as it was an amazing course.

Courses like that are tough to rate when the long layout is spectacular but the course is often in short or mixed layouts. I have the same complaint about Grey Fox in Wisconsin, the longs are a 4.5 worthy course but the shorts are only a 3-3.5 layout and it's almost always in a mixed layout.

ideally, the people that play it when it's great, give it a great review. the people who play it when it's merely good, give it a good review. the people who have seen the multitude of layouts give it a review somewhere in between.

this accurately portrays the course and the range of quality it sports

i do think the people who see all versions of a course tend to only consider its best layout when reviewing. this skews the overall, imo

I don't disagree, but it's not a top 10 worthy course in the shorts, it goes from spectacular to just great.

yeah my point was that in shorts its 3.5-4 and in longs is 5 which puts in the 4.5 + range which is where it is
So its not that far off base

I feel the same way about Camden II in Milan, IL. The shorts are ok while the longs turn that course into arguably the best course in the state.
On a side note, I wish there was some solid footage of that course during the Rumble a couple weeks back.:(

River city has some of that as well. Absurd amounts of pin positions. 4 is common. Some of the spots are truly horrid. Pitch and put.

In the best possible layout its a 4. Typically it's a mixed bag

I feel the same way about Camden II in Milan, IL. The shorts are ok while the longs turn that course into arguably the best course in the state.
On a side note, I wish there was some solid footage of that course during the Rumble a couple weeks back.:(

Another great example, the first time I played that course it was mostly in shorts and was totally underwhelming. Now that I've seen the longs it's a fantastic tough technical course. It's expensive, but permanent long pins on courses like that are a huge upgrade, it works really well at courses like Iron Hill and Lemon Lake Gold/Silver where the long layout is always available but there are shorter options for everyday play.