• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Excerpt from another quality 5 disc review of BRP: "Played it near the end of winter while wearing shoes! Feet didn't get wet once!" hahaha. My reviews are terrible too, but that one is funny. If you put BRP next to most of the other top courses, it just (in my opinion!) doesn't hold up. We all know the rating system isn't perfect, but it gives users a ballpark idea of what to expect. Personally, I don't want the best course near me to be high on the list, then it will be too busy to get in a quick round.

Excerpt from another quality 5 disc review of BRP: "Played it near the end of winter while wearing shoes! Feet didn't get wet once!" hahaha. My reviews are terrible too, but that one is funny. If you put BRP next to most of the other top courses, it just (in my opinion!) doesn't hold up. We all know the rating system isn't perfect, but it gives users a ballpark idea of what to expect. Personally, I don't want the best course near me to be high on the list, then it will be too busy to get in a quick round.

You should live close to Idlewild then. There's never a back up but there's no such thing as a quick round there either. :)

B9xs9xc.jpg

ya gotta screenshot the fake ones so we can all point and laugh even after they've been removed :D :thmbup:

might be a "fake" review but it is actually on point.

18 holes, 1 set of baskets, tons of safety issues... I dunno its not a gem yet and needs major work still but I wont review it until I get to play a few more times'

id spend my $ many other places in the twin cities right now.

"My inappropriate footwear didn't ruin my round! 5-discs!"

I liked BRP and VQ, but if I was back in the TC's, I'd play Lakewood and Bryant Lake again before either of them. Heck, I'd probably play Kaposia before them, as well.

I liked BRP and VQ, but if I was back in the TC's, I'd play Lakewood and Bryant Lake again before either of them. Heck, I'd probably play Kaposia before them, as well.

Me too for Kaposia. I'd play Hansen before going back to BRP just to play to those crazy baskets again.

Played Vision Quest this weekend. Sweet course but damn the guy at the proshop told me to post a review here about 5 times in the 10 combined minutes I was talking to him before and after the round.

Played Vision Quest this weekend. Sweet course but damn the guy at the proshop told me to post a review here about 5 times in the 10 combined minutes I was talking to him before and after the round.

He is getting about 10 reviews a month right now...that is pretty good.

Quote: Many "signature holes".

is the reviewer implying that they aren't really signature holes? why is this phrase in the pro section?

or maybe he is just quoting someone else who called them signature holes. designers should start putting this info on the hole signs. that way we all know which holes are signature before playing them

is the reviewer implying that they aren't really signature holes? why is this phrase in the pro section?...
I think the reviewer is just putting quotes around it. I doubt it is done in an attempt to diminish the term or the holes since it is in the Pro section.

From About.com
Definition: The term "signature hole" is nothing more than a marketing term, although it's now been adopted by golf media and fans. The "signature hole" at a golf course is the one hole that the course has decided is most aesthetically pleasing and most photogenic. A signature hole may or may not be representative of the golf course as a whole, but because it is so pretty or dramatic it is the hole featured in the golf course's advertising and marketing efforts. And since that becomes the hole area golfers are most familiar with, the signature hole then gets talked about by golf media and fans.

Some courses go even farther these days and claim two signature holes. As in: "Our course is so good, we couldn't pick just one!" Within the next few years, expect to see a golf course advertising itself like this: "Come play our course - it's so good we have eighteen signature holes!"

And referring back to that screenshot of "heartman" 's review on the previous page - I hate when people complain about paying $5-10 to play a private course (unless it's in worse condition than a public course). You can't do much in this world for under $10 and luckily a vast majority of courses are public and free. That shouldn't ever mean a private course should also be free. I'm sure these review comments are only ever made by people who have never pitched in to work on a course.

Where's the "Preaching to the choir" emoticon?

is the reviewer implying that they aren't really signature holes? why is this phrase in the pro section?

or maybe he is just quoting someone else who called them signature holes. designers should start putting this info on the hole signs. that way we all know which holes are signature before playing them

At least one designer puts it in the "Description" section of the hole details thusly:

"Par of 64, featuring a par 5 hole running almost completely along the creek bed (#10). Another signature hole is #18, which covers both sides of a seasonal tributary and plays uphill through the biggest oaks and elms on the property. The green sits just beyond a deep ravine and will no doubt be a make-or-break finishing hole for players looking to win a tournament here. Red tees for beginner to rec players and blue tees for intermediate, advanced, and pro players."

In that particular case it describes the worst hole on the course. But that "signature hole" claim has apparently had a positive "influence" on some reviewers opinions of the hole.

If a course is permanently closed, shouldn't it be removed from the rankings? Talking about Coyote Trace and most likely Holler.

It would be nice if the review system required ranking various aspects that make up a quality review to provide a better idea of why the consensus ranking for the course is what it is. It could also be used as another medium by which to sort/filter someone's next outing. For example you could have 5 ratings:

Flow/Navigation
Uniqueness
Upkeep
Replay-ability
Overall
(these are just the first examples that came to my head, could certainly be modified or added to).
This would also help differentiate the glut of 3 to low 4 star courses that seem to make up the overwhelming majority of courses. With out sifting through pros and cons.

It would be nice if the review system required ranking various aspects that make up a quality review to provide a better idea of why the consensus ranking for the course is what it is. It could also be used as another medium by which to sort/filter someone's next outing. For example you could have 5 ratings:

Flow/Navigation
Uniqueness
Upkeep
Replay-ability
Overall
(these are just the first examples that came to my head, could certainly be modified or added to).
This would also help differentiate the glut of 3 to low 4 star courses that seem to make up the overwhelming majority of courses. With out sifting through pros and cons.

Honestly, I don't think it is this important. It is a lot of fun and makes for some interesting threads, but it should be a given, that it is subjective and really pretty arbitrary. I think the reviews themselves have a ton of great information and can be invaluable to the traveling golfer. I think by playing anything in the top 100 or better simply gives you a chance at playing a course unique or outstanding in some way.

Besides, I think you would just end up the the same randomness and subjectivity in each individual category. I really value the judgement of some trusted reviewers. They seem to see courses similiar to me and value some of the same characteristics.

Last edited:

Latest posts