• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Oh, and port in any snacks or beverages. The on-site store (discs too) is very well stocked, and convenient, but way overpriced for drinks/snacks. Not sure why this still tugs at my chains. Come on, you already got $25 off me to play, huh?

One last thought--they are gearing this toward top players, but the course is closed the entire non-tournament season--like Nov to March I think. When are the top players supposed to experience the course? Anyone good enough to even sniff par from the blues is likely a touring pro already. Also--not sure if they plan to have different tees for FPO, but I think whites would be too much--the water carries anyway, for all but the top several distance throwers, and reds too short, not challenging enough for top FPO players. Worlds of course would require full attention to FPO as well.

All this said, I will be going back, gotta get a full 18 in!

Oh, and port in any snacks or beverages. The on-site store (discs too) is very well stocked, and convenient, but way overpriced for drinks/snacks. Not sure why this still tugs at my chains. Come on, you already got $25 off me to play, huh?

One last thought--they are gearing this toward top players, but the course is closed the entire non-tournament season--like Nov to March I think. When are the top players supposed to experience the course? Anyone good enough to even sniff par from the blues is likely a touring pro already. Also--not sure if they plan to have different tees for FPO, but I think whites would be too much--the water carries anyway, for all but the top several distance throwers, and reds too short, not challenging enough for top FPO players. Worlds of course would require full attention to FPO as well.

All this said, I will be going back, gotta get a full 18 in!

That's a great point about FPO; the reds and white do feel a little short or long respectively. If they host a high-profile tournament for FPO, maybe they would end up doing a case-by-case basis as to which tee they use on a given hole.

John Houck mentioned several projects he's working on recently, maybe he can weigh in. I'm most interested in his re-design of Shaver Park in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. This park was destroyed during the derecho and they received a grant to renovate. Early map designs I've seen make it look like some beautiful wooded golf.

Thanks, Brett. I'm also excited about Shaver. Amazing property and amazing club there in Cedar Rapids. And a HUGE cleanup job, but the progress has been remarkable.

And you're right, I have three projects in progress that I believe are as good as any I've ever done.

Agape (Shirleysburg, PA) ran into lockdown-related funding issues, but we're hoping it'll open this spring. I love that property and am very happy with how it's turned out -- some of my favorite holes ever.

Mammoth Cave DGC at Hickory Cabins (Mammoth Cave, KY) got delayed when we decided to finish the Wolf Knob course first. The last tees on that course are going in now, and it will be open for play very soon. They already have a great Micro Course that Dee designed. And the cabins are great, too -- love staying there. On my last visit, I did renew work on Mammoth Cave.

Also working on a private course that I can't really talk about yet, but it just might be the best of the bunch.

Of course, Hillcrest Farm (Bonshaw PEI Canada), which would be #1 in the world if it had enough reviews, is getting a Gold update and some other improvements. Also working on two other Canadian courses that we have very high hopes for.

And we hope to be announcing a couple new projects in the next few weeks. Lots to look forward to in 2022.

By the way, if you have a shoelace on either foot right now, you have more string than all the courses I just mentioned, combined. I like it that way.

That's a great point about FPO; the reds and white do feel a little short or long respectively. If they host a high-profile tournament for FPO, maybe they would end up doing a case-by-case basis as to which tee they use on a given hole.
The default should be to go shorter so that more players in the field have the distance to reach more holes with skillful shots. It produces scores based more on skill than power and keeps more players in the hunt. Same logic for MPO but it may take a while for the DGPT/NT host teams to come around on that concept.

I simply walked Diavolo in Cary NC today without actually playing it but immediately thought this is a top 10 contender. This comes after playing North Cove earlier in the week. With 3 tees on each hole and well defined fairways cut thru a pine forest with elevation changes and 2 holes over water, it truly is outstanding. The front 9 was so busy with amateurs and families with kids though, that surprised me for such a challenging course. I hope to play the middle white tees later in the week when the weather improves.

Diavolo was THE course I was originally thinking might snag a top ten spot next. Almost everything I've heard about it has been nothing but glowing praise. Lake Marshall was the other one I kept hearing about that could get in, especially with 3 courses (I think) onsite. The other highly touted one I remember hearing a lot about is Echo Valley, which I'll get the chance to play in May. Albeit not nearly as much hype as the first two I mentioned. All are wishlisted, now I just gotta figure out how to get over to play them :thmbup:

Diavolo was THE course I was originally thinking might snag a top ten spot next. Almost everything I've heard about it has been nothing but glowing praise. Lake Marshall was the other one I kept hearing about that could get in, especially with 3 courses (I think) onsite. The other highly touted one I remember hearing a lot about is Echo Valley, which I'll get the chance to play in May. Albeit not nearly as much hype as the first two I mentioned. All are wishlisted, now I just gotta figure out how to get over to play them :thmbup:

I've played all but one of these, the big one at LM is definitely top 10 material, I thought "this is what Maple Hill must of looked like early on". The 2nd one is sweet but not top 10, I did rate it 4.5 though. Echo's very nice but I thought the last 6 were a let down after the 1st 12 or so.

I'll try and get some pix at Diavolo later this week.

The other highly touted one I remember hearing a lot about is Echo Valley, which I'll get the chance to play in May.

Have you played Caesar Ford? If not, try to play that too if you can.

I've kind of given up trying to rank great courses so I won't bother trying to say whether Caesar or Echo are better or worse than Idlewild or each other, it's enough to say i think they are all in the same league.

Lake Marshall is a strong contender to join the top 10 when it gets the required number of reviews and it could easily be #1. It sits at 4.92. The problem is that it needs 7 more ratings and it's only getting 3 or 4 a year.

And a course with a small number of ratings can really get dinged if someone gives it a 3.5 or 4.0. It's probably unlikely that anyone would give LM a low review, but you know..."The course was great, but I lost 2 discs" = 3.5 stars. :wall:

I just love that rolling terrain ! So many places in the mountains are just too steep for disc golf, but that looks perfect. WOW ! What would you compare it to ?

Last edited:
I just love that rolling terrain ! So many places in the mountains are just too steep for disc golf, but that looks perfect. WOW ! What would you compare it to ?

A lot of the challenge on this property will be avoiding the places that are indeed too steep. Hawk Hollow is probably the closest comparison- both are pasture land with woods mixed in although this one is steeper and has the one pond instead of the omnipresent creek.

A lot of the challenge on this property will be avoiding the places that are indeed too steep. Hawk Hollow is probably the closest comparison- both are pasture land with woods mixed in although this one is steeper and has the one pond instead of the omnipresent creek.

I can put you in touch with the guy who designed and owns Hawk Hollow. Pretty sure you can persuade him to tell you what did and didn't work on that course, and otherwise pump him for info.
;)

I can put you in touch with the guy who designed and owns Hawk Hollow. Pretty sure you can persuade him to tell you what did and didn't work on that course, and otherwise pump him for info.
;)

I hear he's a d*ck and nearly impossible to deal with. your luck may be better than mine. :)

This property is one that begs the question- "how many big downhill shots is too many?"

I never played it, but talking to those that did and looking at the pics, Iffy Hollers may be a good comp.

Iffy Hollers sits on some of the most breathtaking property I've ever played disc golf on. Spectacular views on so much of the course. My legs were rubber the next day.

This property is one that begs the question- "how many big downhill shots is too many?"
Great question. I think it depends on how many uphill holes are required to gain the elevation back. Personally, I like working with the contour.

Last edited:

Latest posts