• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Judging by what I saw at the recent Butler County Disc Golf Classic, North Boundary should be the first course listed with that search! 🙃

If North Boundary is first, then I'll bet Iron Hill would be a close second!

More

If North Boundary is first, then I'll bet Iron Hill would be a close second!

Nockamixon, The Woodshed. Not every hole but definitely enough holes that create plinko. I'm one of those weirdos who found the difficulty at Iron Hill to be all about the distance; North Boundary is definitely the longest and woodiest. Just remembered Quaker's Challenge and Bootlegger's Cave - it ain't called Pennsylvania for nothing.

The elevation is what gets you at NoBo. The trees in the fairway is the easy part.

Absofrigginlutely.

And not just throwing up/down hill or near tricky pin placements. Fairways that slope left or right really make it important to hit landing spots with the right angle, or discs can end up a long way from where you want to be. Tree kicks that can send you to oblivion.

Big downhills are fun, but can really make to pay dearly if you grip lock, get flippy, or release nose up .... because discs have that much more time to travel off the fairway.

Plus Nobo's a real workout. Constantly going up and down big hill after big hill takes a lot out of you.

Video generally doesn't do courses with big elevation justice, Toboggan being a great example. I'd say video does Nobo even more of an injustice, because Toboggan's open enough , so you see more "in frame," which provides a better perspective.

But Nobo's trees and turning fairways limit how much topography is captured in frame, so the video perspective really sucks.

Nockamixon, The Woodshed. Not every hole but definitely enough holes that create plinko. I'm one of those weirdos who found the difficulty at Iron Hill to be all about the distance; North Boundary is definitely the longest and woodiest. Just remembered Quaker's Challenge and Bootlegger's Cave - it ain't called Pennsylvania for nothing.

Agree with the bolded. The majority of fairways at Iron Hill are wider than those on most Eastern woods courses. The need to maximize distance on them is what gets you in trouble.

Buddy traveling with me, who's a top Wisconsin MA55 player, threw a 1,000+ rated round at Iron Hill, using mids off the long tees on almost every hole.

Like the way Drew Gibson was playing Northwood Black at a (fairly?) recent tournament? [Probably less recent than I'm thinking, but remember him using a buzzz off the tee on more than half the holes]

Staying in the fairway and avoiding really big numbers seems to be key for that type of course.

Is that Longview course in KS really a one, or is the Redneck Machismo back in town ?

Is that Longview course in KS really a one, or is the Redneck Machismo back in town ?

I do like that the reviewer thinks the trees were placed in the fairways of an existing course, albeit randomly. In his book the course came first, the trees came second.

Haven't seen that name in a while. I don't think any review has ever made me laugh so hard than his review of Angry Beaver. I could feel the vitriol he felt for that course oozing from his review.

I thought the newest redesign could have warrant a new page for that course, since it has something like 6 new holes compared to the original design, as well as many tweaks (minor to major) to 8 to 10 other holes on the course to make it much better.

I plan on playing Muddy Run in a few days. Really like what Matt had to say in his review. :)

Last edited:
Buddy traveling with me, who's a top Wisconsin MA55 player, threw a 1,000+ rated round at Iron Hill, using mids off the long tees on almost every hole.

A good buddy of mine shot his one and only 1000-rated round of his life at the '08 worlds on Oshtemo's long tees in pro masters by throwing Stratus off the tee, Stratus under the basket, tap-in par, one after the other, with some deuces mixed in on a few of the easier holes. Most people sprinkler spray bigger drives and wind up in the woods too often and fight to even beat a 60 there (it's 18 holes) despite their superior distance. Course management 250' at a time works great on those kinds of courses if your division's winnings won't get you McLarens.

Sad to see Maple Hill drift in and out of the top 10. With the large # of reviews it has, unlikely its rating will increase all that much. Like Steve or not, there is no reason this course shouldn't be top 5 at least.

That said, we plan to hit Muddy Run, Faylor and maybe the Preserve on our pilgrimage to Maple Hill 2nd week of October. Hope we will have better weather than MVP Open is having!

Latest posts