• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MPH of a Putter off the Tee? An idea for video.

giles

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Anyone know about how fast a putter flys? Or a mid?

I am curious about the possibility of filming some throws from a chase perspective. I've got a few possibilities in mind and I'm now sure how they would work.

We have a downhill hole at Alex Clark Memorial DGC. #10 Tee box is half-way down a grassy slope with the basket at the bottom. I'm wondering if you could do a helmet mounted GoPro and start on a mountain bike at the top so you were moving fast when you reach the tee box, then chase a drive to the basket.

The same course has two holes that run parallel to a (35 MPH) road that isn't too busy. Thoughts on (the passenger) filming a drive from a moving car?

How about an empty parking lot. Set up a practice basket/temp hole. Stick a go pro on a boom arm off a truck so it was 8' away from the vehicle and high enough up where you could drive the camera straight over the top of a thrower and follow all the way into a basket?

Anyone tried anything like this or seen a video like this online?

A quadcopter-mounted GoPro would be a better way to get a stable shot. I've seen some flyovers of courses done this way. I haven't seen live shots of discs in flight, but I expect that it could be done reasonably well with a good pilot.

A quadcopter-mounted GoPro would be a better way to get a stable shot. I've seen some flyovers of courses done this way. I haven't seen live shots of discs in flight, but I expect that it could be done reasonably well with a good pilot.

I've got a mounting bike and truck, don't kow where I left that dang quadcopter:\

I figure I can get ahold of a GoPro and a camcorder and build up any rig I want.

You are right though, the quadcopter flyovers are cool.

With enough practice, using the zoom seems like it could accomplish something similar.

You are right about that on the chase from behind.

If I was setting up on a parking lot you could do neet stuff from ahead of the disc, over the top on some shots inside 100' and chase along side shots.

Anyone know about how fast a putter flys? Or a mid?

I am curious about the possibility of filming some throws from a chase perspective. I've got a few possibilities in mind and I'm now sure how they would work.

Not sure I understand what you want to do... but to know the average speed of the flight of your putter, divide the distance that it travels by the time it took. Voila.

That will give you the average speed. If you would like to know the speed at its peak, use a camera that can record a lot of frames per second, and set it up so that you can film from the side of the release and record the first few meters (2 or 3 I guess) of the flight. To know the distance it travels, you need to get something you can measure in the background, say a soccer net. Basically, you get someone to trow from one post to the other post, while you record the flight of the disc from one post to the other. Then, using a video editor software or any other playback software, check the time it took for the disc to travel the distance between the two posts. That will still give you an average speed, but it should be close to the speed at release.

Of course, that is much less exciting than riding a bike down a hill with a helmet cam!

Last edited:
I've been working on an Urban DG video like Tennessee's, and zoom really adds some dramatic effect, but it does get pretty redundant.

I like the idea you have for sure though. After watching the demo for the next GoPro(3 Black, I believe), I bet you could get some crazy shots. I imagine it would take some practice to get the disc in the frame right, but if you could catch a long putt or ace smashing the chains...money!!!

I've been working on an Urban DG video like Tennessee's, and zoom really adds some dramatic effect, but it does get pretty redundant.

I like the idea you have for sure though. After watching the demo for the next GoPro(3 Black, I believe), I bet you could get some crazy shots. I imagine it would take some practice to get the disc in the frame right, but if you could catch a long putt or ace smashing the chains...money!!!

yeah, i was watching gopro videos, thinking of how you could use it for DG.

Golf carts or a Rhino might be decent options too if you have access. Since GoPros don't have any sort of viewers unless you pay extra, using something like a Rhino could make filming easier. Unfortunately, I don't think there are a lot of cameras that stabilize video like GoPros though. My Samsung (which takes great video) certainly can't. I'm tripod all the way.

If you can throw 350' with your fairway drivers then it's north of 45 MPH but probably not much higher than 50 MPH.

The mountain bike idea doesn't sound like a good one. You'd have to keep your head pointed at the disc and you might easily crash (going 45 MPH). A helicopter sounds like a winning bet if you know a skilled enough operator.

The mountain bike idea doesn't sound like a good one. You'd have to keep your head pointed at the disc and you might easily crash (going 45 MPH).

yeah, that would make a terrible video:doh: lol

Mountain bike is out, that wouldn't be any better than a good zoom.

Vibram somehow determined that the ideal launch speeds of their discs range from 40 to 60 mph. It's part of their flight ratings.

1202973_orig.jpg

Not if the OP is trying to figure out whether or not it's feasible to drive along next to a shot, my speedometer certainly doesn't show fps.

Putters and mids actually come out of the hand faster but slow down quicker than a high speed driver, you might find it easier to do that kind of filming with a driver that keeps a more constant speed throughout and has a slightly lower launch speed.

What I want to see is a shot over a parking lot with video of the disc from the side view.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
O
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
^
(camera)
<------<-------<------<---vehicle and disc direction

Latest posts