• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Multi Purpose Disc

Back in the day a 5,000' course was a monster. The only water hazards you ran across were creeks where you could retrieve your disc. Nobody flicked. You could throw a Roc and an Aviar and never wish you had anything else.

Those days are gone. The holes are longer. The courses are better and require more shots. Playing most courses now with one disc is unrealistic and would be no fun. If I had to play with one disc, I'd quit. :|

If my dad had played back then he would have forehand thrown the disc because he did that with Wham-O Freebies and toy discs since he was 5 or so in the 1960's. In fact my dad had to learn backhand to putt with a disc, his first round was forehand putting.

If my dad had played back then he would have forehand thrown the disc because he did that with Wham-O Freebies and toy discs since he was 5 or so in the 1960's. In fact my dad had to learn backhand to putt with a disc, his first round was forehand putting.
Generalizing. Did people forehand? Yes. Ken Westerfield threw forehand. Jeff Homburg had a nasty Frisbee sidearm. CR Willey threw crazy stuff. My partner in doubles at White Birch took forehand putts with a Super Puppy (missed them all, BTW. :| ) It just wasn't nearly as common as you see now. Like nowhere near as common.

I would use a disc that until mid 2000's was called a multipurpose disc in DX by Innova, the Shark but mine is Star plastic.

I have seen only one other disc that was called a multipurpose disc on this thread so far.

It does need to literally have "Multi purpose" on the stamp for you to use it for multiple purposes.

I'd at least need one more driver to flick. I'm terrible at flicks and need something OS to cover how horrible I am at it. So I could possibly get by with four. I'd rather have five. :|

I am not God's gift to flicking, either. The discs that work best for me for forehands are the Mako3, Panther, and Harp. I forehand about as often as Philo does (not much), but if I had to, one of my three discs would probably do me okay.

If I am limited to two, ain't no way I am carrying a putter. Not on the courses I play.

I hear ya. My putter could also be an approach disc if need be. To your point: yes, there are courses that would not be well suited to the 1-3 disc rounds, while others are fine...

I just asked because ive heard that a lot of the old timers used to use just one or two disc to play,compared to todays players that carry a backpack full of disc.

Don't let these guys deter you. They love cycling stuff. The more the better.

Play with nothing but a Mako3 for a month. you'll have fun and be better at throwing your other discs as well....

I can play pretty much any course with five. Maybe four, but definitely five. Anything less than that is a stretch. Asking one disc to handle all non-putter shots would require a pretty boring course IMO.

Which is generally what happens. You get to an old pitch 'n putt and decide to one disc or two disc to add more challenge into a course that really is an example of why we used to get away with playing with only an Aviar and Roc back in the day. The use fits on the short courses. Do it on a modern course and it's torture for no reason.

I've played the best courses out there with one disc, both casually and in competition, and never once felt tortured.

The disc you choose isn't very important, though some courses play better with a particular style of disc. The keys to having fun with one-disc play are realizing your reasonable potential and finding lines that may be different from your normal routine. And beating people with full bags.

Meh. I'm already a mold minimalist. I throw neutralish discs that I can hit a variety of lines with. I follow the "slowest disc that will get there" rule and try to stretch my putter and mid shots. I keep my game as stripped down and simple as I can get it. If you already do all of that stuff, there isn't much to be gained with an artificial limit of one or two discs. I already know I need four and I know which four. If I could leave any of the four of them home and not have a significant drop in the shots I can execute, I'd already be doing that.

It does need to literally have "Multi purpose" on the stamp for you to use it for multiple purposes.

No but that was what I meant by that, these disc were given multipurpose by Innova because they were good at being all around discs. I know a Uncle that uses a Spider because he wanted a way lower profile Magnet feel for putting starting in the late 1990's early 2000's. The Hydra was not out yet or he would have used that I am guessing, one for his approach disc and one as his putter with both being beat in the way he wants for his game. That uncle thought the Magnet was too high a putter for him.

Lately I'd use a champ Roc3. I really like how they fly and the past few years I've been messing around with putting with my disc upside down. I've gotten pretty good at it. The champ Roc3 works great for that also.

Meh. I'm already a mold minimalist. I throw neutralish discs that I can hit a variety of lines with. I follow the "slowest disc that will get there" rule and try to stretch my putter and mid shots. I keep my game as stripped down and simple as I can get it. If you already do all of that stuff, there isn't much to be gained with an artificial limit of one or two discs. I already know I need four and I know which four. If I could leave any of the four of them home and not have a significant drop in the shots I can execute, I'd already be doing that.

Me too, I know I have quite a bit, 9 molds hoping some day to be at 8 molds but I can play with as low as one disc. I started with well two but lost the Stingray and had a Rubber Putter to work with. I did not like how the Rubber Putter wobbled for me in flight when I would putt harder, the disc is fine when driving to longer midrange just putting the disc does not work for me.

Lately I'd use a champ Roc3. I really like how they fly and the past few years I've been messing around with putting with my disc upside down. I've gotten pretty good at it. The champ Roc3 works great for that also.
I putt with my disc upside down all the time when I'm putting into a strong wind. Some old hippie/Ultimate dude who permanently looked like an extra in a Cheech & Chong movie showed me that decades ago. I've always been surprised how few people use that trick.

I guess when I comes down to it being a "minimalist" is all relative. Some people say one disc. Some cycle molds, some carry different molds ect ect. It really comes down to how comfortable you are with every disc you have and if you know everything it can do. Part of the reason a one disc round can be helpful is because your forced to try new shots with a disc you would never use. Throw my Roc3 on a roller line, no choice really if that's all I have for both line and disc.... I've discovered a lot of cool twerks in particular discs by using them how I shouldn't, or I guess wouldn't really.

So how about this, if you could pick 3 molds and up to 6 discs what's the fewest you could use to get by?

For me
one throwing aviar in star,
one putting aviar,
one beat strait roc
one 8/10 alpha

4 discs and I'd be confident to play any course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I putt with my disc upside down all the time when I'm putting into a strong wind. Some old hippie/Ultimate dude who permanently looked like an extra in a Cheech & Chong movie showed me that decades ago. I've always been surprised how few people use that trick.

That's why I started putting upside down. Then I start doing it when I was too lazy to get my putter out and would just use the disc I threw last to putt with. My best range is 25' in but I have made a few farther out.

For all but 1 of the courses I play locally, I would go with a proton Ion. The 1 course is just stupid long and I'd want a non putter disc for it.