• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Distance Drivers

I think it's fair to say MVP has a very well-defined and planned strategy on how they wanted to enter the DD market that was contingent on meeting some quality standards. I for one, appreciate this, which is why they'll get a good chunk of cash from me for several of these molds. Given the list AFTC posted, that's a pretty good cross section and going to be hard for folks to ignore and want to test out.

Last year, I found myself very curious about the Prodigy drivers at one point which led me to having an F7 that was more OS than an F3, a D5 that was more OS than a D4 and an M2 that I didn't know if it was really an M3 or not since they changed the name/mold at one point. For having a "well thought out naming convention" that pretty much put me off their stuff since it was just all a game of chance.

With that in mind, I know it's been a long wait, but I for one appreciate how MVP has come to do things in releasing quality, reliable, consistent molds. Doing is RIGHT is always better than doing it FIRST. I don't fear losing a disc as much now a days cause I can pick up another and know what it'll do right off the shelf. That's nice.

And, even though I probably don't have the arm to throw them, I'll probably buy a Motion and Tesla anyways just to round out the set. ;-)

MVP has had their quality control issues as well. I wouldn't guarantee these fly as intended right out of the box.

Meh. Part of the beauty of the pd is the availability of different plastics as well for different flights. I will be trying out at least one of the for sure, as long as the rims aren't too plussed. Mids I don't mind, but anything above a fairway just changes the feel too much for me. Will be interesting to see how these throw.

I am no fan of MVP, ( big shocker I know) but this is a winning move. releases the four main stabilities,
Motion : Overstable
Tesla : Stable-Overstable
Inertia : Stable-Understable
Impulse : Understable

this is great. having a line up from Understable to Stable to Overstable is just what they needed to do.

how many of you MVP fans actually throw speed 13 discs correctly? Im guessing < 2%. just because they didnt release a disc you can OAT the hell out of doesnt mean they missed the mark. these are a great start the DD market. and prob as much disc as many of you should be throwing anyways.

Well said. And it really just makes the most logical sense. They started with a putter. Then made a mid. And then they rounded up those two classes a bit. Then made some fairways. Again went back and rounded up missing slots. And now are making the 11 speed distances with a full line up. Give them a year or two to make the next step of 12-13 speeds. It'll come. I'm personally not interested and much more excited about this release, but to each their own.

It seems to me that, for the most part, the people wanting speed 13 yesterday are more the people casually interested in MVP. I think most of the "MVP fans" have been pretty happy with releases thus far. Are max d drivers on wish lists? Sure. But I think most are pretty happy with how things have been going. I know I am. I am really excited about the speed 7s. The servo has been great and I eagerly await the switch.

I'd say that 60-75% of the people that throw speed 12 & 13 discs don't have the arm speed for them. If you can't throw a Destroyer at least 400ft, then it's pointless to be throwing it in the first place. That being said, I'm looking forward to these.

The amp, volt, and shock are 1.9/2.0 rims already. This seems silly. Still hoping for some big D gyro action.

Patience.

I think MVP measures them out differently. The PDGA site isn't exactly known for all measurements being accurate.

Plus, there have been plenty of releases lately that are plenty speedy with a smaller rim width. The Renegade from Dynamic comes to mind.

really 5 pages, and 6 hrs in and we are already talking about stuff thats on the first page.:\
edit i bet this is a sword, i know discspeed had talked to the brothers about making one over a year ago.

Last edited:
I haven't been this psyched about an MVP release in a while. The Tesla and Inertia look like contenders for my PD/Sword distance driver slot. Tesla is too cool a name not to check out, ha.

I'm glad they're releasing speed 10-11 drivers, a very underrated class and really all the speed I should be messing with anyway. I hope the rims aren't too narrow to get your finger pads on.

MVP's site lists rim width of their DD's as 20mm. This makes sense to me, as there's a 1.5mm step from the Resistor/Servo/Switch class to the Shock/Volt/Amp class. And, there's a 1.5mm step from Shock/Volt/Amp to DD. I'm not sure where these measurements are taken, but there's evidence that there was some thought put into their evolution of rim width.

Speculation: I think this also leaves room for an additional, faster, class of drivers (21.5mm).

I guess I just came in to debat the language. The same rim width is being called a distance driver for marketing purposes, whereas the 1.9/2.0 was called fairway when that was convenient. Selma gimmicky to me.

Edit: @jake master some points bear repeating. Good job being the first though...

Last edited:
and remember when the XL was the distance driver with the world record?! .... Volts/Shocks/Amps already could be distance drivers for SOME people. I would assume these will feel much different being a new core. Many players use "fairway" drivers as distance drivers and distance drivers as "fairways"

I didn't even carry distance drivers all last spring/early summer. Who gives a crap what they name it if they fly far. Hell my ions go far enough to call them fairways too but does it really matter? I would assume these hold up to their flight design at a higher speed and allow for more carry. You can really see at 425' where volts/amps/shocks start to just die. They don't want to carry much past that without crazy effort or max D line/wind/elevation.

Well if an average volt/shock indeed measure 1.9cm with a micrometer and these end up measuring 2.0 that is a surprisingly small jump in my opinion. Not that 1cm doesn't make a difference but I don't think I would want to bag a volt and tesla if they were equally overstable. Could be wrong...either way speed 10s are cool discs...but so are speed 9s...

and remember when the XL was the distance driver with the world record?! .... Volts/Shocks/Amps already could be distance drivers for SOME people. I would assume these will feel much different being a new core. Many players use "fairway" drivers as distance drivers and distance drivers as "fairways"

I didn't even carry distance drivers all last spring/early summer. Who gives a crap what they name it if they fly far. Hell my ions go far enough to call them fairways too but does it really matter? I would assume these hold up to their flight design at a higher speed and allow for more carry. You can really see at 425' where volts/amps/shocks start to just die. They don't want to carry much past that without crazy effort or max D line/wind/elevation.

Or when the roc/viper/teebird was a distance driver... The volt came out in 2012 durring the control/fast fairway craze, so they called it a fairway driver even though it was faster than tons of "distance drivers." Now people are asking for distance so they made basically the same thing but with a new label. I get that it's MVP buying time and catering to the beginner/amature fanbase with pseudo distance drivers. They are certainly nothing ill get excited over.

Rant over. Carry on.

protos or first runs?

Do you think they will be released as protos first? Or would they just go straight to first runs?

MVP has had their quality control issues as well. I wouldn't guarantee these fly as intended right out of the box.

There has not been any quality issues that i am aware of since the Amp/Shock First runs, and that was a long time ago.

It's pretty safe to say MVP knows what they are doing enough to release discs consistently at this point, wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts