• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My 2019 ITB

Thotograph

I've been playing for about 15 months... loads of Ultimate play prior to DG.

I have gone through many iterations of my bag. I started out with way too many different molds. I'm not a powerful thrower but can lace a good shot every now and then. My focus lately has been consistency, and along those lines I've tried to simplify my bag and throw several of the same mold. Here's what is in my bag right now:

Putters:

Hard Pure (fresh): pretty much just use this for putts.

Star Aviar (seasoned): Very familiar disc for me. Use it for approach shots and sometimes longer putts.

Mids (of which I may have too many):

Star Mako3 (half beat in): This disc and I are good friends. It's my scramble disc... I'll throw it at tight gaps with confidence.

Champion Mako3 (new): I just picked this is up. Felt like I needed a more OS mid and I love the Mako3 mold. Will see if it stays.

Opto Claymore (half beat in): Had this disc a long time. I throw this when I'm out of Mako3 range. Great off the pad when I need straight and then some fade.

X Buzz (newer): Got this in a mystery misprint box. Sits right between the Claymore and Mako3. Just getting to know this disc. Might not stay but I like it.

Fairways:

Big Z Zombee (half beat in): Got this in a mystery box. Bagged it as my hazard disc initially. I've grown to really like it. Mostly throw it at 60% on a hyzer.

Recycled Maul (beat in): I really like this mold. This disc is very straight with lots of glide. Can get this to turn over. Used often for tight drives.

Gold Maul (kinda beat in): A little more stable than the Re Maul. It will flip up to flat and then finish with decent fade. Not a bad forehand disc, but not my best.

Opto Maul (new): Opto seems a bit more stable so I thought I'd give this a go.

Drivers:

Pro Valkyrie (seasoned): My workhorse and first distance driver. It's beat in to be nice and flippy. I've thrown some insane ropes with this disc.

Star Valkyrie (getting there): My FH driver for sure. Also used off the pad when the pro would be too US.

Westside Hatchet (getting there): This disc is kind of a wild card. Sometimes it turns over on me but typically it'll flip to flat, ride right and not fade much.

Most of my drivers are right around 170g, and I play mostly wooded courses.

At this point I should mention that my bag holds 13 discs with room for another 4 underneath (Lat 64 Easy Go). I feel like I have too many mids and need to work in a more stable driver.

I have a bunch more discs... most are newer. Ones worth mentioning are a Pro Thunderbird (I bag this sometimes instead of the Hatchet), Star Thunderbird, Tournament Underworld, Pro Wraith, 159g Star Wraith, Glo Buzz (flat topped and quite OS for me), Opto Tursas, Z Meteor and a Mantis in D I think.

Any suggestions on a speed 9-ish stable driver for someone with a lighter arm? I lost my Saint Pro recently... that disc filled a nice gap in my bag. I've kinda hit a plateau on my max distance. Still working at it... trying to dial in the shots I have and get more consistent.

Cheers!

-Trevor

Bag looks solid! I definitely see some stuff you could trim but to answer your first question...

I think a GStar Thunderbird would be a good addition. The GStars tend to fly much straighter than their Star/Champ counterparts and won't beat in as quickly as the Pro.

Honestly...if your Pro Thunderbird is beat enough...add a Gstar and that Star you have and use those as your only drivers. :hfive:

Pro Thunderbirds are awesome. I bag one in place of the SL if the baskets on my home course are in certain locations that work for it.

Sounds like you're pretty happy with your bag, so decide which ones you like best, and have a great day on the course. :thmbup:

Putters:
Hard Pure (fresh): pretty much just use this for putts.Try throwing this off the tee every now and again, the Pure is one of the best driving putters I've used...Good putter too!
Star Aviar (seasoned): Very familiar disc for me. Use it for approach shots and sometimes longer putts.

Mids (of which I may have too many):From my experiences throwing these 3 discs, I'd say there is too much overlap to bag all 3 molds. The Buzzz and Claymore are the most similar, maybe pick one to complement the Mako3 and drop the other.
Star Mako3 (half beat in): This disc and I are good friends. It's my scramble disc... I'll throw it at tight gaps with confidence.
Champion Mako3 (new): I just picked this is up. Felt like I needed a more OS mid and I love the Mako3 mold. Will see if it stays.
Opto Claymore (half beat in): Had this disc a long time. I throw this when I'm out of Mako3 range. Great off the pad when I need straight and then some fade.
X Buzz (newer): Got this in a mystery misprint box. Sits right between the Claymore and Mako3. Just getting to know this disc. Might not stay but I like it.

Fairways:Interesting Maul cycle, I would think they would be too flippy out of the box to get a good cycle with them.
Big Z Zombee (half beat in): Got this in a mystery box. Bagged it as my hazard disc initially. I've grown to really like it. Mostly throw it at 60% on a hyzer.
Recycled Maul (beat in): I really like this mold. This disc is very straight with lots of glide. Can get this to turn over. Used often for tight drives.
Gold Maul (kinda beat in): A little more stable than the Re Maul. It will flip up to flat and then finish with decent fade. Not a bad forehand disc, but not my best.
Opto Maul (new): Opto seems a bit more stable so I thought I'd give this a go.

Drivers:
Pro Valkyrie (seasoned): My workhorse and first distance driver. It's beat in to be nice and flippy. I've thrown some insane ropes with this disc.
Star Valkyrie (getting there): My FH driver for sure. Also used off the pad when the pro would be too US.
Westside Hatchet (getting there): This disc is kind of a wild card. Sometimes it turns over on me but typically it'll flip to flat, ride right and not fade much.This looks like it overlaps with the Valkyries a good amount. I'd stick with the Valk since you already have 2 in the bag and seem ambivalent about the Hatchet.

My comments are above in red. If you are looking for a good speed 9, look no further than the two Thunderbird you have already. They should OS drivers that you can grow into as you keep playing. Thunderbirds would pair quite well with your Valkyries. Trimming the fat when you have really similar molds may help you with decision making out on the course. You can always add things back into the bag if you realize that you are missing certain lines.

Thanks all for the input guys! Indeed I have too much overlap in my mids/bag. The Buzz was something I added recently to compare with the others: they're basically interchangeable. I think the Buzz will come out to make room for the Thunderbird(s). Other thing I might do is swap in a super flat topped Glo Buzz that is quite stable for me.

As for the Hatchet: I think the #'s are wrong... it's way more US than it says on the tin. I may give this to a buddy b/c his drives are progressing. He needs something more flippy than his Pro Thunderbird which I dug out of a lake a while back.

I think I enjoy throwing the Maul so much b/c I like releasing closer to flat @ 60-75%... that disc loves to be thrown like that! I've gotta learn to trust a hyzer release instead of trying to just throw straight. Too much Ultimate in my past??

Latest posts