• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My backhand drive - comments welcome.

Kevinm

This is from a couple months ago. Unfortunately it's the only recent video I have but it's a pretty typical drive for me, with maybe slightly better than average distance.

(It's easier to see if you click-through and view on YouTube at 480p)

If the signage is correct this was around 390-400' which is a bit better than average for me (I tend to hang out around 360-370) but there are some fundamental things with my throw that are bugging me nonetheless, namely the high-to-low level change in my pull-through. I used to have bad nose-up problems (I kinda still do in this video) but I've just dealt with it by keeping my head down and weight forward. I didn't realize how extreme it was though until I watched this video. As you can see my reach back & pull-through is not on the same plane at all and my weight is almost too far forward in order to compensate for nose-up.

I had a "duh" moment yesterday when analyzing my grip and realized that my nose-up problem was mainly due to my thumb pressure being ever so slightly behind my index finger all this time. Once I made a conscious effort to keep my thumb forward more it stopped happening. I guess now I just need to unlearn this high-to-low pull I've been doing to compensate. I suppose the best way to do that is to revisit the right peck drill and work backwards again, something I haven't done in over a year. Gonna try and get more video of my progress over the coming weeks, I just wanted to post this now before I start making drastic changes in case I'm missing something. Any input is appreciated.

---

*edit* another quirk I seem to have: the final stride in my run-up seems really long to me. I'm not sure why but it just feels natural and I've always done it. I can't help but wonder if that also contributed to my random nose-up problems in the past despite having my weight forward.

*edit2* after reading some comments on Eric's Throwing Videos thread, maybe I really should work on shortening that last step.

That kind of step length should only be used on full run up max D throws. Keeping the left foot planted until the disc rips helps. You should also stiffen the right leg after the plant so that you would rotate more to the right instead of falling forward and stepping through forward. Which is super hard to do at high run up speeds. You have a mild anny running direction and the arm goes mild hyzer. That's gonna create inconsistencies. Especially if different body parts tire at different rates.

You have a lot on your plate already and you seem to have read up on a lot of things so now it's more a matter of putting in the field work than reading up on more. Those kinds of changes can take months to implement.

Thanks for the input. Yea I tend to go for max D rather than golf D more often than I probably should. This was pretty much a max D throw for me since the camera was rolling (lol) and it was a 416' par 3 I believe. I got lucky in this case and barely got on the green but it could have easily been way off given my go-for-broke approach. Anyway, I've got some things to think about for my next field practice. Will hopefully get some more videos to post then.

A controlled drive video would be good to see too. The standard advice of this board is to slow down everything initially and take off run up steps when changing form.Then gradually increasing speed and power in increments trying to see where changes to ideal form start to occur. It will quicken the learning and tell you where you begin to experience troubles and inconsistencies. Once you have that base line you know how far you are mostly golden and it helps in disc selection and shot selection while giving ideas on what to work in technique. And which muscles or muscle groups to train to remove troubles. Hopefully :)

Latest posts