• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My best friends in life came from the disc golf course.

dandaman

Birdie Member
Time for some positivety around here.

My all time best friends in life I've met on the disc golf course. I'm currently experiencing a medical condition that has me nearly bed-ridden and my disc golf buddies came through for me today in one of the greatest gestures I've experienced in life.

My lawn needing mowing, and I asked my friend Mike to help me mow it because I'm unable to do so. He showed up this morning with another disc golf buddy of mine- JK, and they mowed my lawn. Not only that but they cleaned my gutters, trimmed the bushes and made the outside of my house look the best it has in several months.

Such a gracious gift! I would have never met these friends without disc golf.

Just thought I'd share the positivety that disc golf has brought into my life.

That's a great story dandaman, thanks for sharing.
Hope you get well soon!

*Seems like we should know each other?*

Very nice! You know, that could simply be gracious southern hospitality taking on a somewhat different form. I've found people in GA to be very open and helpfull.

That's a great story dandaman, thanks for sharing.
Hope you get well soon!

*Seems like we should know each other?*
^ ...take the gentleman above, for example. :)

"I play because my discing family and my real family are one and the same.."

Very nice! You know, that could simply be gracious southern hospitality taking on a somewhat different form. I've found people in GA to be very open and helpfull.

^ ...take the gentleman above, for example. :)

Aw shucks...;)

Good stuff, and a GREAT insight to the DG Family here in GA. Not sure I know either of you personally, though I was at Hotlanta at JP, but I have found the DG community here in GA to be amazing. Don't have any other place to compare it to, but the family feeling around here is strong.

Ive seen everything from giving people rides when needed, taking in out of towners for tournaments, fighting the Snow-ma-geddon just to help out complete strangers, raising money to send our players to Worlds, raising money to send our players on tour, etc, etc. That doesn't even come close to encompassing everything I have witnessed in our little community.

GA ROCKS!!

Good stuff, and a GREAT insight to the DG Family here in GA. Not sure I know either of you personally, though I was at Hotlanta at JP, but I have found the DG community here in GA to be amazing. Don't have any other place to compare it to, but the family feeling around here is strong.

Ive seen everything from giving people rides when needed, taking in out of towners for tournaments, fighting the Snow-ma-geddon just to help out complete strangers, raising money to send our players to Worlds, raising money to send our players on tour, etc, etc. That doesn't even come close to encompassing everything I have witnessed in our little community.

GA ROCKS!!

We JAWJUH folks just try to keep it all in perspective!
:thmbup:

Hope you are getting better Daniel - Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I'm glad you got some assistance from the Disc Golf Family in GA.

Even though I'm not most people's favorite F/B person in GA :), The GA Disc Golf Family, was very kind to my wife and our family when Dawn's mother passed last month.

Best wishes and get well soon!

Bogey - It's also a pleasure to show out of staters some of the best courses in the state when they visit - Thanks for stopping through on your way back to Michigan!
It was great to meet you.

My all time best friends in life I've met on the disc golf course. I'm currently experiencing a medical condition that has me nearly bed-ridden and my disc golf buddies came through for me today in one of the greatest gestures I've experienced in life.

My lawn needing mowing, and I asked my friend Mike to help me mow it because I'm unable to do so. He showed up this morning with another disc golf buddy of mine- JK, and they mowed my lawn. Not only that but they cleaned my gutters, trimmed the bushes and made the outside of my house look the best it has in several months.

Just thought I'd share the positivety that disc golf has brought into my life.

Right on, man! :)

Sometimes I hear people say "let's grow the sport" but I wonder if the close-knit community, so perfectly illustrated by dandaman's anecdote, will suffer from the influx of new blood.

I can only hope the community can grow in stride, and teach the newer generations some of the lessons learned by those who've been around a while.

Thanks for sharing, and speedy recovery! :) :hfive:

I used to think my older brother was crazy for driving to the middle of nowhere for Mustang or Jeep meetups. Now he thinks I'm crazy lol

Also wish you a speedy recovery, to go roast on the sunny JP Moseley fairways.

Just to add to good disc golf friends:

I ran recreation programs for 12 years. I met some nice people. I had four different jobs during those years. The one I had the longest was in Hazelwood, MO. We had a disc golf course there. When I left to move to Chicago, the disc golfers gave me this:

picture.php

In all those years and all the programs I ran, it was the only time that the people in my programs took the time to say "Thank you." It was the nicest thing anybody did for me while I worked in parks and rec.

You no when I first moved to the town I live in now the first friend I made played disc golf. He introduced me to his other friend who played with him every Tuesday. I started goin with them an made 3 other really good friends threw disc golf. All of my friends play but 3 lol

Just thought I'd share the positive that disc golf has brought into my life.

That is, indeed, a labor of love. Which only proves (to me, at least) that people are, by and large, inherently good. Passion breeds familiarity and familiarity breeds bonding. It's no surprise that disc golfers helped you out in a time of need.

This is a WAY bigger deal than neighbors mowing the lawn of a person in their community who's deployed with the military. Not that it's appreciated or respected any more or less, mind you; just that the allure of disc golf and the bonding it breeds is much less publicized than the politically correct do-goodery that, in my own humble opinion, is over-valued prima facie by virtue of the social currency it lends to the person(s) delivering the services.

Point is: It's one thing to do something out of the goodness of your heart because it's a really awesome thing to do for the family of someone away on orders from the U.S. Government. It's a completely different thing to do the same thing because you enjoy the same sport as the dude you're doing it for.

In short, what your friends did for you is a pretty darn altruistic act. Mad props to those cats.

Thanks to all have responded with well wishes.

Further update on how cool these friends are: When Mike was cleaning my gutters he inspected my roof and noticed some areas that needed repair or replacement. He called me back later in the day and said that he'll be happy to fix them.

Another disc golf buddy of mine for life is coming over tomorrow and bringing over his nearly world famous bbq brisket and baked beans- just because he misses me and he wants to help out. He sent out a massive message to fellow disc golfing buddies of mine and the prayers are going up!

These relationships I would not have found without disc golf.

Even here, on a nearly anonymous forum, with my internet disc golf forum buddies, miles away and having never thrown a round or disc together, I get that sense of community that makes us all better.

Once again, thanks for the well wishes and the stories that you are sharing. I like to hear how this great sport of ours binds us together.

Don't know what the specific problem is but I will be praying in Alaska that you get well soon!
Proverbs 18:24 says "A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother".
Glad you found faithful friends, & I'm guessing that's in part because you have been a faithful friend!

Nice story dan, thanks for sharing and starting this thread.

I met two of my best friends through DG that I never would have met otherwise. I am a molecular biologist at a biotech company, and they both work at what is best described as a BBQ mass production facility. One is a guy in his late 30s, another is a woman in her early 40s, and I am a guy in my early 30s. There is no way I would ever have met these two people without DG, and they are now two of my closest friends. We actually met through a member here on DGCR, which I think makes the story that much cooler.

Latest posts