• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My BOD Candidacy and What Needs to Change

jobwilson

Eagle Member
I would like to officially announce my candidacy, and would like to be included in the election for the 2013 PDGA Board of Directors. It is my hope to provide fresh and innovative ideas to a Board of Directors that could use a shake up.
Here is a little bit about me.

Professionally, I am Vice President of Rosedale Services, a small environmental consulting company in Boonville, IN. I currently manage permits for five large corporations in Western Kentucky and Southern Indiana. I graduated from the University of Southern Indiana in 2005 with a Bachelors of Science in Marketing.
I have been playing disc golf for four years and seven days (I am writing this on June 8, 2013 – I played my first round on June 1, 2009). Obviously, my disc golf experience isn't nearly as expansive as other board members and candidates. I believe my lack of experience is more than compensated for by the energy and enthusiasm I bring to the promotion, growth and expansion of the sport. Since I started playing disc golf four years ago, I have assumed many responsibilities and worn many hats for the game.
In 2011, I was elected as treasurer of the Ace Eagle Disc Golf Club.
In June, 2012, I ran my first sanctioned tournament, the 4th Annual Evansville Open B-Tier in Evansville, IN. One month later, I was elected as State Coordinator of Kentucky.
As State Coordinator, I am managing a series of four tournaments across the state to determine the 2013 USDGC Representative. I also just directed a highly successful Evansville Open V, which many regarded as one of the smoothest running tournaments they have ever played. I will be running at least one, maybe two more local events in 2013.

If I am elected to the Board of Directors, I will place the bulk of my focus on two key subjects.
My first area of focus will be how can the PDGA appeal to new members and how can the PDGA retain existing/lost members. I believe revising the membership levels to include more options for new and existing members, based on the level of benefits players wish to receive. Members should be able to opt-out of certain benefits (mainly tangible items, e.g. magazine, minis, stickers, etc.). A more cost effective family membership should be offered (The family that plays together stays together - Thanks Spirit!).

The second area I would focus my attention, which can be tied back to membership retention and new member addition, would be the PDGA's level of support to smaller, regional tournaments and leagues. If the PDGA's primary goal is to increase exposure and promote the sport, then it needs to become more involved in the promotion of smaller events, where new players are more likely to compete. Why not offer a free membership to every tournament director to give out at his/her event?

Please provide feedback. Every one of your opinions and insights matter and are valuable to the growth and prosperity of this game we love.

Thank You,
Job Wilson
PDGA #41259
Henderson, KY

Why not offer a free membership to every tournament director to give out at his/her event?

Very simple but fantastic idea! Every tournament I play in has some kind of raffle or drawing and why give a free annual membership to someone at every tournament. Very low cost way to increase our numbers. Almost too logical. :clap:

More women!

You should also bring focus to getting women into this sport. Maybe offer a women's package at sign up (women's weighted disc, women's cut shirt, pink mini, ect.) instead of the regular pack everyone receives. I say this because my girlfriend plays, and these were suggestions from her. Also need more training videos from the bigs done by women, for women. As I was told, their bodies are different than ours and require different form adjustments to compensate for said differences. Also, women like to learn from other women as it makes them feel more comfortable. If you promise to pursue this topic along with what you already have on your platform, I can promise you to votes from my household. Thanks for taking time to read this and good luck.

You should also bring focus to getting women into this sport. Maybe offer a women's package at sign up (women's weighted disc, women's cut shirt, pink mini, ect.) instead of the regular pack everyone receives.

sexism all over. pro women tend to throw max weight discs, and a pink mini.. really?

anyways im not sure why people are making their official candidacy announcements on a forum, its like citing wikipedia for your college thesis.

sexism all over. pro women tend to throw max weight discs, and a pink mini.. really?

anyways im not sure why people are making their official candidacy announcements on a forum, its like citing wikipedia for your college thesis.

I knew it would be perceived that way, but these are ideas from my girlfriend. You know, she's a girl. And those are the things she wants. Still sexist?

Maybe you should try not to turn into an ass because someone posts some ideas from a woman on a forum.

I think you have great ideas, but I caution that I have heard it before throughout the years. I have no idea on the politics od the PDGA so I cannot say why their goals went unfufilled...if you stick to your guns and dont back down I am aure you can find some success.

I agree you dont have a lot of time in the sport, but your track record does seem pretty solid. Hope it works out for you...and I also hope you declared your candidacy to the PDGA...and not just DGCR.

It's election time already? I thought I just voted for a bunch of people to be on the PDGA board.

Thanks everyone for chiming in so far.

Regarding women, I am in absolute agreement that disc golf needs to be made to appeal to more women. In my area (Central/Western Kentucky & Southern Indiana), there are very few women who play any kind of competitive disc golf. Most of the women I see on the course are wives/girlfriends of guys that are playing.
I was tournament director of the Evansville Open in May, and of 115 competitors, only 4 were women. I was pleased to have an all women card, but would have liked to have more.

I am definitely open to any ideas that you may have. Again, my main goal is to represent the voice of disc golfers.

And yes Andy, I declared my candidacy to the PDGA Thursday night. I followed up with an announcement on Facebook on Friday and then came here yesterday. I feel like dgcoursereview is the best place to reach the most golfers in one spot.

I look forward to everyone of your comments and responses.

Thanks again,
Job Wilson

Am events do you prefer trophy only, or plastic payouts?

I don't believe it's the PDGA's responsibility to tell tournament directors how to run their events.

A culture has been built up and amateurs expect merchandise payouts. If the PDGA were to begin mandating trophy only, I believe tournament directors would be inclined to stop sanctioning events or go to another sanctioning body.

Keeping that in mind, the PDGA has the right to run its events however it sees fit.

Now, from a personal standpoint, I would like to see more trophy only, low cost events. I don't believe that is what the majority wants though. As a tournament director, I will continue to promote large amateur payouts and players packs. To me, the biggest thing is to have people playing.

Last edited:
Well put, job. I'm really excited to see you run.
As a member with a whole bunch of kids, I would like to see some sort of umbrella family membership that would cover all of us and encourage my wife to get out and play some tournaments as well. She would like to see the PDGA encourage some sort of Family Day events that would allow the whole family to get out and play.

You have my support,

@alpha_dave

In reference to trophy-only, which I am a supporter of in so much as it equates to lower entry fees and thua more accesability, were the PDGA to formally declare that as the direction they are going in, and were you a member of the Board at that time, how would you implement it? Would you start by mandating "-Tiers first, then gradually moving up, tier by tier, until all events were trophy only for Amateurs? Would you simpsly give a start date, say, 1 January 2014, as the day all events would go trophy only? Or do you have an entirely different sution?

In reference to trophy-only, which I am a supporter of in so much as it equates to lower entry fees and thua more accesability, were the PDGA to formally declare that as the direction they are going in, and were you a member of the Board at that time, how would you implement it? Would you start by mandating "-Tiers first, then gradually moving up, tier by tier, until all events were trophy only for Amateurs? Would you simpsly give a start date, say, 1 January 2014, as the day all events would go trophy only? Or do you have an entirely different sution?

Great question. It's something I haven't thought about because I am against the PDGA making an absolute mandate or trophy only.

If the board were to vote and make a decision to implement trophy only, I would suggest implementing from the top down. Overall, most higher tier events have more credibility and a stronger reputation. If these events are able to prove to players that trophy only is a viable solution, maybe players will continue to play the lower tiered events.

From my perspective, I still believe players and tournament directors will shy away from PDGA events if events are mandated to be trophy only.

I've seen Job excel at everything he's involved in from being an excellent state coordinator to running great events. I fully support him in this endeavor and am sure he'll have the same positive impact on the PDGA Board of Directors as he's had on the state of Kentucky and the Evansville area.

I've seen Job excel at everything he's involved in from being an excellent state coordinator to running great events. I fully support him in this endeavor and am sure he'll have the same positive impact on the PDGA Board of Directors as he's had on the state of Kentucky and the Evansville area.

Adam, thank you for the kind words!
Your endorsement is one I greatly appreciate.

I truly believe Job is good for the sport of disc golf and feel that anyone who votes for him can ensure their vote is not wasted.

What about enforcing the equipment specs more? One of the biggest complaints I read is manufacture consistantcy, etc...

What about enforcing the equipment specs more? One of the biggest complaints I read is manufacture consistantcy, etc...

I absolutely agree with you that consistency is an issue, but I have a hard time seeing how the PDGA can actively enforce this. The PDGA does not have the resources to set up shop as QA/QC within disc manufacturers.

I do like the idea of random spot checking. The PDGA can go to a retailer, randomly grab a stack of new discs and put them through the standard testing (flex, weight, etc.). Again though, this requires resources. I've worked in a laboratory environment for 10+ years. If a sanctioning body is going to levee some kind of sanctions against an equipment manufacturer, it will have to set up Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), internal QA/QC and be subject to audits.

I believe the importance of technical specifications must be put in the hands of tournament directors, but I also understand the headache this would create for tournament directors.

I don't believe there is a correct answer to your question. I believe it is something that must be addressed, but it is going to take valuable resources to come up with any kind of viable solution.

I believe the importance of technical specifications must be put in the hands of tournament directors, but I also understand the headache this would create for tournament directors.

To me, this is the one absolutely unacceptable answer to this question. Enforcement of equipment standards absolutely *cannot* end up entirely in the hands of tournament directors, without the equipment standards being essentially dropped entirely. TD's simply do not have the time or resources to verify the material standards for every disc in every players' bag. Right now, as I've mentioned before, it is *solely* the culture of disc golf that has prevented every player at every event questioning the legality every disc in every players' bag. In the rulebook, it is entirely within the rights/responsibilities of players to do this, and entirely within the rights/responsibilities of the TD to enforce. This needs to change, one way or another.

Edit: I like essentially everything else you've had to say, but this one issue may be a deal-breaker for me.

FYI - Tech standards spot checks have been done for several years now and the PDGA follows up on all reports from players when a disc may have a problem.