• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first dye attempt

shroom

Eagle Member
This is my first attempt at dyeing, and it didn't turn out so hot.
The vinyl I had obviously was the wrong kind and didn't stick as well as it should have. I used a credit card and smoothed out all the bubbles on the edges but when I pull it up out of the dye I noticed that it was starting to peel.

Second problem was I listen to a few people instead of doing what I read on the forum. The dye bath was cold so the black in not very dark.

Live and Learn.

Any and all comment and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

firstattempt.jpg

not sure exactly how your vinyl was on there, but how did the die bleed in around the outside? Usually you would have to vinyl go up and around the edges, and you shouldn't be submerging the disc. The vinyl is probably alright for dying if you got the toxic symbol on there without much bleeding. Just make sure its on nice a solid before you get it wet. But if you really think you need a new vinyl, just check out a local sign shop for a bunch of free scraps. That dye is probably better than many first dyes you see on here. Glad to see another one join the club.

(the heat of the water doesn't matter all that much, it will just take more time in a cooler water, but you don't want to go too hot otherwise the vinyl with bubble away from the disc. never put a disc in water that is even simmering)

I see a little bleeding around the symbol, but other than that, it is a very very good dye for a first time. I wish I could motivate myself to do something like that.

Make sure you stick the vinyl up around the edges really well so dye doesn't get in from the outside. On things like points be especially vigilant about avoiding bubbles, and especially continuous bubbles, within about an inch - relooking at it seems the dye all got in at those two points and leaked around the whole disc.
Also make sure you wash the disc really well, it may prevent bleeds in the future (maybe not though, could just be the vinyl).
Nice cut though, looks like that part went perfectly.

vinyl suggestion: Oracal 651 - has always worked for everyone

wow, wish my first attempt was that good.
good vinyl, proper burnishing, good dye mix, and good plastic.. thats what it seems to boil down to..
oh and lots of practice.. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was good dyeing..

Good job for the first attempt, if it were me I'd go and try to add more "bleeds" to look like it was intentional. Nothing wrong with imperfections, they can be used to your advantage.

The bleeds make it look like it "really is toxic"! Good job cutting the pattern! Oracal 651 seems to be the preferred vinyl. Couple of times had it leave some goo. Prob'ly my fault though.