• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first dye!

http://tinypic.com/r/oqeq1g/7
It's the mockingbird logo from my favorite and local band, 10 Years!
I thought the the imprint was off, but for some reason once I started dying it showed up again so I left it on the stove for another 30. I may try a dx tonight. I know it might not work, but meh.

I now know though that the method of putting rubbing alcohol and rit together to just let it set did not work AT ALL! It would just sit on top of it and the logo would show up even more. I know I have some more work to do, but I'm happy with it.

If there is a way to fix the mess ups, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dude's dye

oqeq1g.jpg

Sometimes the original stamp may have faded differently than the surrounding plastic if the disc has seen some use.
Also Innova's deep rainbow stamps leave a yellowish stain behind which may have dyed differently.
Last theory: the hotstamping process could give that part a different texture, making it absorb the dye slower.

How'd you end up with that texture on the disc?

I like it...What's the list in the background? Are you making a potion? ;)
It's my build list for League of Legends

Sometimes the original stamp may have faded differently than the surrounding plastic if the disc has seen some use.
Also Innova's deep rainbow stamps leave a yellowish stain behind which may have dyed differently.
Last theory: the hotstamping process could give that part a different texture, making it absorb the dye slower.

How'd you end up with that texture on the disc?

Well I tried dying twice with just putting the ink on there and letting it sit for 40 mins. It didn't come out how I wanted so I did it on the stove for 45 mins and I got it as dark as I wanted.

But I have an idea right now.

Could I attempt to ink it again to fix the bubble areas?

I was thinking about putting a black ring around it that covers the area. Hopefully I can cut it so it fixes the area.

Would that work?

Yup, a black ring around the edge would be easy - you just have to float it carefully.

Here's how I would do it, others may have different opinions. Find something that matches the diameters of the inside and outside of the ring. Once you start looking around the house, you'll probably find hundreds of things. I used the bottom of a paint can to do the one in my pic. I've recently used lids from cooking pots, thanks to someone's suggestion (Agent Peabody?). I would put the vinyl on the disc, then place your larger circle (for the outside diameter of the ring) on the disc and you should be able to eyeball it for centering pretty accurately. Use the ring as a cutting guide and cut right against it. Then place your smaller ring inside of the one you just cut, again centering by eye, and cut that one. Peel out the section you cut and dip it. If you do it this way, be careful not to let the blade "wander" away from the circle you're cutting against. Does that make sense?

Here's how I would do it, others may have different opinions. Find something that matches the diameters of the inside and outside of the ring. Once you start looking around the house, you'll probably find hundreds of things. I used the bottom of a paint can to do the one in my pic. I've recently used lids from cooking pots, thanks to someone's suggestion (Agent Peabody?). I would put the vinyl on the disc, then place your larger circle (for the outside diameter of the ring) on the disc and you should be able to eyeball it for centering pretty accurately. Use the ring as a cutting guide and cut right against it. Then place your smaller ring inside of the one you just cut, again centering by eye, and cut that one. Peel out the section you cut and dip it. If you do it this way, be careful not to let the blade "wander" away from the circle you're cutting against. Does that make sense?

I already have the circle printed off. I'm talking about dying. I don't want to get any more air bubbles.

Latest posts