• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My son is getting into disc golf ....

Chainchaser

Double Eagle Member
It's been really cool as of late, my oldest son who is 17 is starting to really like disc golf. It started the other week when he said hey dad lets go play some disc golf. He had played before but it was a while ago. So this past monday he was like lets go to a different course. So, and this was a big shocker, the wife said "yea let's all go play". So we all headed to Lincoln Ridge park and played a round. My wife and younger son were done after 18 but my older son and I finished the course(24 holes) and what was better was I ended up two under on a course I have only played once before. My son ended at + 12 so I have some work to do with him. I am not the most knowledgeable golfer out there but I am hoping to help him do things right unlike me when I started.:wall: Even a better bonus is my wife and younger son are getting into it so we can get out as a family to play. Tomorrow we are going to rent a pontoon at Paint Creek in ohio in the morning then play the 18 hole course there after that. I am hoping to keep his interest in disc golf and so far it has taken very little encouragement from me to get him out. I guess I just need to teach him enough to keep him interested but not enough to beat me!!! LOL J/K :D

There's no clearer sign that your son is smoking pot. ;)

Congrats this is very cool! I hope to be there someday too...

There's no clearer sign that your son is smoking pot. ;)

Congrats this is very cool! I hope to be there someday too...

Thanks, You know that is something I never worried about with my son. He has never given me cause to think he was doing drugs. I actually have a lot of doubt he is even mine and my wifes son because of how he is. We think he was switched at birth to be honest, This kid took three years of german and can basically speak it like he was born there. He recently went to germany and was the only kid on the trip that was able to truly speak to the native germans. He studied it on his own so that when he went there he would be able to speak it only and besides having to talk with the other kids in english that is what he did. He also gets straight A's with like a 3.9 gpa so like I said it was either switched at birth or aliens, we have really be able to figure out which.:confused:

He really does not like sports at all so this is kind of surprising. I do also think it has something to do with his new girlfriend who is a cross country runner and fairly athletic.

I wish I had found disc golf 20 years ago when I was his age. It's awesome that you've been able to make it a family affair; I introduced my younger brother to it and he loves it as well. My girlfriend gets tired of me talking about it, though. She just needs to watch it live, she thinks... although I don't think she would enjoy the "wild outdoors" of the typical disc golf course as much as I do. Icky bugs and stuff. In contrast, I think it's funny that she calls the targets "laundry baskets" and she named my marbly Champ Orc "Harold". :)

He played a 24 hole course to half of what I (not so) fondly call a "bogey round", and he did it after a long time not playing and on a course that wasn't familiar to him? You might need to do some work with him, but you must be proud. Seriously. That's awesome. That whole thing about your whole family coming along is pretty badass too. Congrats.

I know you live right near Idlewild and Boone Woods and all, but I have to ask...

Why have you only played Banklick twice? That's crazy! ;)

No kids for the wife and I yet, but that's awesome that you family is getting unto it.

I wish I had found disc golf 20 years ago when I was his age. It's awesome that you've been able to make it a family affair; I introduced my younger brother to it and he loves it as well. My girlfriend gets tired of me talking about it, though. She just needs to watch it live, she thinks... although I don't think she would enjoy the "wild outdoors" of the typical disc golf course as much as I do. Icky bugs and stuff. In contrast, I think it's funny that she calls the targets "laundry baskets" and she named my marbly Champ Orc "Harold". :)

I feel your pain. I wish I was 18 when I discovered this great game. Alas, I was 40 and regularly get beaten by guys half my age (or less) at tourneys. That does not take away from the fun though. Also, my wife calls my disc bag my "purse".

It's been really cool as of late, my oldest son who is 17 is starting to really like disc golf. It started the other week when he said hey dad lets go play some disc golf. He had played before but it was a while ago. So this past monday he was like lets go to a different course. So, and this was a big shocker, the wife said "yea let's all go play". So we all headed to Lincoln Ridge park and played a round. My wife and younger son were done after 18 but my older son and I finished the course(24 holes) and what was better was I ended up two under on a course I have only played once before. My son ended at + 12 so I have some work to do with him. I am not the most knowledgeable golfer out there but I am hoping to help him do things right unlike me when I started.:wall: Even a better bonus is my wife and younger son are getting into it so we can get out as a family to play. Tomorrow we are going to rent a pontoon at Paint Creek in ohio in the morning then play the 18 hole course there after that. I am hoping to keep his interest in disc golf and so far it has taken very little encouragement from me to get him out. I guess I just need to teach him enough to keep him interested but not enough to beat me!!! LOL J/K :D

I can really be a great thing to share in common. Keep him encouraged and have fun. I was 40 when I started and wish I had started much younger (might have taken time to learn to throw backhand!). I have two sons, my oldest(just turned 18) is not interested other than the 1-2 times a year when he decides to play. My youngest is another story, He been tagging along since I started (7 years ago) and just turned 13. He played has first sanctioned tourney the week of his 10th birthday and finished even though the second day was in a steady downpour. He has since played tourneys in Huntington WV, Ashland KY, Holler in the Hills & the Goat path along with the central KY ones. He's heard of Idlewild and I owe him a trip up there soon.

I can really be a great thing to share in common. Keep him encouraged and have fun. I was 40 when I started

I just turned 40 and just took up the game myself. My son is 9 and absolutely loves it. He'd play everyday if he could. Just trying to have a fun right now, not working too much on form and what not. What's really cool is at our local course there are plenty of "elders" whom love to give him tips and what not.

Picked the game up around 40 as well... apparently several of us did!

Started out thinking great thing to do with the kids... my 12 year old my son was luke warm at the time, 9 year old daughter, not so much.

Now he's 20, and certainly a rec player.
She's 18 and still couldn't care less about it. I'm just waiting for her to tell me one day,
"You'll really like this guy I'm dating - he plays disc golf..." Relationship over! :p

My ex would never let me live that down!

Last edited:
I have 3 boys, best advise I can give is to not give advise unless he asks. My 12 year old is more interested in the disc names and stamps. He can throw pretty good with the "right" discs, but has more fun throwing high speed drivers with cool names...rampage,destroyer,katanas.... its all about fun, not score cards.

I have 3 boys, best advise I can give is to not give advise unless he asks. My 12 year old is more interested in the disc names and stamps. He can throw pretty good with the "right" discs, but has more fun throwing high speed drivers with cool names...rampage,destroyer,katanas.... its all about fun, not score cards.

How does he feel about the "Groove"?

Yeah I totally agree. I was able to convince my son to get some lighter weight disc only because he like the color.

My daughter, 7, is now also showing more interest in it after I showed her some pictures/videos of the pro women playing. Again, I was only able to get her to pick the right discs as I found them in Purple and Pink.

I know you live right near Idlewild and Boone Woods and all, but I have to ask...

Why have you only played Banklick twice? That's crazy! ;)

No kids for the wife and I yet, but that's awesome that you family is getting unto it.

I know!! It just works out that way. Usually it's just me going so I just take the easy way out and go to boone woods. Now that my wife and kids have seen Lincoln ridge I think we will go there more often.

I wish I had found disc golf 20 years ago when I was his age.
That is my biggest thing because I did find disc golf back when I was 18 in 1978. We played with whamo fresbie's and were really out there just doing things we shouldn't have probably been doing. Around the middle 80's or so we would see people come around with these bags of disc's. But back then no internet or anything so we really just shrugged it off. Then things happened and I just didn't play it for years. Then about 5 years ago we found some disc's on the course at idlewild, which I eventually returned, and started playing again. I looked it up on the internet and found a ton of info and now I love the game,which I always did back in the day, even more. So at 47 I started playing again and just hate that I missed out on all the things that happened in the sport since the middle 80's. Now at 51 I am going to be able to enjoy the game with my family which is really cool.

Similar story

Hey Chainchaser,
Your story sounds like mine: age 51, I've got one daughter (of three) who goes out disc golfing with me sometimes. I threw frisbees pretty seriously in the 70's, and somehow brain-cramped on the idea that this could be THE exercise for the last three decades :wall:. Got into disc golf last fall and really love it.
I'll be playing with all those young guns in the Rec division at the Course Challenge Series at Idlewild this Sunday. C'mon out: you'll probably win some plastic if you shoot under par at Lincoln Ridge.
Wait...maybe you shouldn't: I don't need ANOTHER guy finishing ahead of me! ;)
--Jeff A.

Hey Chainchaser,
Your story sounds like mine: age 51, I've got one daughter (of three) who goes out disc golfing with me sometimes. I threw frisbees pretty seriously in the 70's, and somehow brain-cramped on the idea that this could be THE exercise for the last three decades :wall:. Got into disc golf last fall and really love it.
I'll be playing with all those young guns in the Rec division at the Course Challenge Series at Idlewild this Sunday. C'mon out: you'll probably win some plastic if you shoot under par at Lincoln Ridge.
Wait...maybe you shouldn't: I don't need ANOTHER guy finishing ahead of me! ;)
--Jeff A.

Yea I may get out there but I am not sure if I can. I know my son has to work so he definitely will not be able to. Idle wild is tough on me so I doubt I would be ahead of you.:thmbup:
I will say I had a hot round a Lincoln Ridge and was hitting a bunch of putts that I would usually miss. I parked hole 2 for an eagle.
Yesterday we where at paint creek. I was all over the place there. Couldn't hit a putt to save my life. We had just spent 4 hr's on the Rocky fork so we were tired and it was super hot. We played 7 holes and then just stopped because we were all so tired. From what I seen it was a decent course but still needs some tee signs and pads installed.