• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My take on the side arm throw.

rcracer757

Birdie Member
I use the side arm trow for my drives and sometimes a midrange shot. I feel you get a better view when using this technique. However, I do believe you can achieve much more distance from a back hand shot. As far as my back hand shot it is close to non-existent. I would love to improve on my back hand shot this summer. Let me here your take on this as well as give me any advise on getting a better throw out of my back hand shot.

On your backhand smooth is far. Just try and have a smooth motion and involve your hips and shoulders in you throw, not just the arm. Follow through and the same plane that the disc is on.

throw hard
throw fast
throw straight

and practice, dont forget practice, and putting...

hehe
sidearm or backhand, you'll have to give some details if ya want some advice... a video is worth a thousand words....

oh, and search for videos/ threads/ ect, theres just more to it than waiting for replies :)

interesting..... I now throw RHBH, but I started throwing FH.... most of my friends did it....
During my 2nd summer playing, I finally met a wooded course... and pooped myself. It demanded control, which my FH shot did not have. I can't say that aside from a trick shot, I have ever used a FH as an approach...

My game is now 90+% backhand, I have TOTALLY lost my FH.... It just seemed as though I could accomlish more with a BH throw.

The ONLY advice I feel I can give you, is work on both! If your game is based off of FH, then throw FH.... but PRACTICE BH... you will eventually need both...

Take a day off the course, and go to a field to just do practice throws...

For BH specifics, there's plenty of info on the web, or check out the Climo/Feldberg DVD (VERY worth it for beginner's <2 years, less so at later experience/skill levels)

I am all backahnd and thumber right now. I am going to hit the course this weekend with my new Flick and practice some forehands off the tee. I also carry a Banshee, Warrior, Stalker and Teebird so I should have plenty of good forehand choices to work with. My buddy plays 99% forehand and he is money in the woods. Usually more accurate than me on the tight holes under 250'. On certain holes and courses he has a big advantage over me. I plan on taking that away from him. I say learn and practice them both even if you only use your lesser technique once in a while. It it saves you 1 or 2 shots a round it is worth it.

I am mainly RHBH but, I have gotten to where that is more because most holes are designed for a RHBH hyzer and I am now excited to come up to a RHFH hyzer hole. Trees or no, its all about how I want the disc to finish.

When I first started playing DG I was strictly the "high-up-in-the-air-then-watch-it-fade-hard-left" RHBH thrower. I just didnt know how to throw it properly. I met a local pro here in Charlotte (Big Jerm) at one of the courses and he showed me how to throw side-arm. Once I learned the side-arm, I was strictly side-arm..... I didnt even try to improve my backhand. Well, after watching four days of pros throw 96% backhand at the USDGC this past year I knew I had to go back to the soccer field and learn that backhand technique. I did, and something happened..... I dont know how to drive sidearm anymore!??! I TOTALLY lost it. Its weird. I am now a 98% RHBH on drives and midrange/approach. I will only flick-it now if absolutely necessary.

I have a similar story as lots of people here. At first, it was all sidearm, as this was easy for me having thrown so many baseballs in my life, then I realized that backhand had more potential, and started really trying to learn the backhand. So I throw mostly BH now, and I don't throw sidearm as well as I did last summer shortly after I just started playing.

I am a totally new player, and am nowhere close to the be able to give advise department yet, but just from reading a lot on here and watching every video I can find, it totally seems that the Back hand is where the power and distance are.... so I keep working on the RHBH off the tee.... ( I am a lot like Chain-Addicted "When I first started playing DG I was strictly the "high-up-in-the-air-then-watch-it-fade-hard-left" RHBH thrower. I just didnt know how to throw it properly.".... and it can be frustrating. But I do really like a mid range RHFH throw. Yesterday I played my home course with nothing but a DX CRO and that was the MO... RHBH drive for about 180 - 190', a RHFH set up mid shot to the basket for another 80 - 140' and then a putt ..... the course is a really short 9 hole course that is almost entirely par 3..... and I shot a 32, which was my best ever so far (for only playing for about 6 weeks).....

I really like the Forehand for control and getting out and around things.... and the CRO handles the Forehand just fine..... and even though my Backhand still frustrates me.... I think it would be a mistake to only play one or the other.

I think a lot of players who start out use the forehand throw. Perhaps a poll is in order. I have seen new players get faster results for throwing for distance with the forehand shot then backhand. One form will eventually feel better then the other, but you can't leave out the type of throw in your game and should be practiced to keep good form.

I have a similar story as lots of people here. At first, it was all sidearm, as this was easy for me having thrown so many baseballs in my life, then I realized that backhand had more potential, and started really trying to learn the backhand. So I throw mostly BH now, and I don't throw sidearm as well as I did last summer shortly after I just started playing.

I'm pretty much the same story, only I'm just now realizing I need to work on my bh a ton once it gets warm (and I get healthy). :\

I only throw OH with an Epic. The only disc I need.

Naw, but really, learn BH. There's more distance potential b/c it involves your whole body vs just your arm with FH and isn't nearly as taxing on your rotator cuff as FH is. Catch some Beato vids on youtube and dig around in the technique section.

I have a bad lower back & RHBH is basically impossible for me so I've had to learn the RHFH shot inside & out. The shot that took the longest to learn was the turn over flick for left turning shots. I use beat up DX Panthers for that kinda shot.

Last edited:
I have a bad lower back & RHBH is basically impossible for me so I've had to learn the RHFH shot inside & out. The shot that took the longest to learn was the turn over flick for left turning shots. I use beat up DX Panthers for that kinda shot.

Yep, substitute your back for my R knee and I'm in the same boat. You hit it on the head about the FH anny being the toughest shot to learn let alone master. I still struggle but find that I reach for either a Buzz or beaten ESP Tracker for those shots. Its a great feeling when things work out. Man, I really need to dedicate entire field sessions to just working on my turnover. (self revelation with the intent that posting it on a forum might actually inspire me to do it:p)

I'm the opposite. I started BH and couldn't do crap with it except make my roommate laugh at how bad my throws were. After a year of frustration, I watched a friend (who just picked up the game) FH it farther than my BH, I tried it out, and have been a flicker ever since.

Off the tee, I'm 90% FH, from 200 in, I'm 90% BH. I've tried and tried to re-incorporate a BH drive, but I find little need to considering I can do pretty much any thing i need with the correct disc selection and release angle...

throw what works

i throw 75% fh. it works for me. however some throws lend themselves to certain situations better. for downhill it seems, for me at least that the bh it the way to go. On the flip side the up shot is accomplished much easier with a fh. throw what gets you where you want to be.

Played a course last week with at least 5 right curving lines on drives and decided I needed to learn the sidearm. I watched the Discraft video and also vids of Avery throwing. Went in the field after a round today and threw some bombs out to 250-300 feet. I was literally amazed. I have a baseball background and even pitched for a few years, now that I have the motion down this might be the shot for me.

/Now to try it off the tee with confidence, that might be another story...

I throw a BH for any shot unless it is a long hole that requires a sharp right turn at the end. For me, the forehand is easy to throw because of my baseball background playing 2nd base. I can control both BH and FH really well, but the BH is more versatile for me. Anhyzer a mid for a short right turn, and hyzer left turn is easy with a BH. For me, the key to learning the BH was to be smooth.