• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Naming convention cancelled; moved to online only.

Emoney

* Ace Member *
It doesn't help that Prodigy has the worst naming scheme in disc golf, and has continued to make it even more confusing and unmarketable.

Prodigy can't compete now because of their own mistakes. I don't get this "underdog" take.

It doesn't help that Prodigy has the worst naming scheme in disc golf, and has continued to make it even more confusing and unmarketable.

Prodigy can't compete now because of their own mistakes. I don't get this "underdog" take.

The naming scheme is the primary reason I don't throw their discs. I get that it's modeled after ball golf, but when each club/disc slot has various options across the slot, it becomes a little much, and that's before all the disc revisions they've made.

H1V2 means nothing to me. Is that an HVAC unit?

The naming scheme is the primary reason I don't throw their discs. I get that it's modeled after ball golf, but when each club/disc slot has various options across the slot, it becomes a little much, and that's before all the disc revisions they've made.

H1V2 means nothing to me. Is that an HVAC unit?

What does Meteor mean?

I have no Innova in my bag.....but, yeah that is dumb too. :hfive:

To your point....kind of, I do have a Buzzz SS in the bag. But, the SS tells you exactly what it does.

I have hardly any prodigy. I inderstand the names as well as I understand any other brand disc names. Anyone could understand them if we wanted to.

Every time I hear someone say that the prodigy naming scheme is easy to understand they have to spend 47 minutes explaining what the hell 400g H2v2 means…

There are putters, approach, mids, fairways, control drivers, distance drivers. Just like every company. Instead of renaming the Kong into Zeus, they call it the second version. V2. That seems simple. Bigger numbers means more turn. If you're unfamiliar with… Axiom, say, all their disc names are confusing. Until you learn them. You have to memorize the difference between a Tenacity and a Crave. You don't have to memorize a F2 is fairway and a D2 is a distance.

Again, I'm not a Prodigy fan or anything. Not one prodigy disc I bag. I own a D2 (2nd most stable Distance driver) and a P model S (which is a Putter that is Stable, lol)

Sorry for digress!

Last edited:
300g was a pretty good tennis racquet by Dunlop about 20 years ago. No idea what the different plastic types are from Prodigy, no interest to figure it out, and have never bought/will never buy one of their discs for that reason.

I get the sentiment of disliking prodigy naming, but isn't it all a little nonsensical? A disc called the panther doesn't tell you anything about what it does. It all requires context.

No it doesn't, but for whatever reason, I do better with names than I do the Prodigy naming.

Cool names and stamps sell well: better than good discs with crap names and stamps I'd wager.

The pearl clutching ITT and elsewhere over the Prodigy naming system is among the silliest things I've seen on here that wasn't posters being intentionally obtuse (for the record, by the tone of the replies, I'm not sure this isn't that). I throw exactly one Prodigy disc and have for several years, as it is a proto stamped PA4. Not because of the name or stamp, but because it has a unique and essential flight for me. I feel like people here largely bash Prodigy, and some of that may be deserved, but using the name as a basis to take a shot at them is absolutely ridiculous. It's no less intuitive than any other company's scheme. Yeesh.