• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Neck strain driving?

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I keep straining my neck while driving backhand. Im righty, so my right back side of neck gets strained. Im still learnin the backhand, and just started hittin 300'. I'm not sure if its from pulling, or followthrough, or could it be something else?

I sometimes have the same symptom. (I'm 51) I do a few things to loosen it up. I've some hand weights that I swing thru my throwing motion before I leave the house. ( slow...think more like stretching) I do slow neck rolls clockwise and counterclockwise slowly working thru that tight spot on right backside of my neck. On the course for the first hole or two, as I'm walking to my throw, I keep my shoulders squared towards where I'm walking and turn my head 90-100 degrees left and right. I also do the old gym class propellor stretch, holding both arms parellel to the ground and rotating them in both directions....you can do this while you're walking. I'm usually warmed up by the end of hole two. Thats this winter, where there's not a lot of time or space to find a clear practice field.

Summertime, I definitely do at least 30 minutes of practice throwing, either in a field near the course or if possible on open holes on the course. Working up from like 70% effort to full out.

Hot shower, icing the sore spot...ibuprofen.

I strained the back right side of my neck also. I have played more holes in one day before without a problem. Just wondering if it might have been stress and tension due to playing in my first tourney PDGA sanctioned? I am definitely going to work on my neck a lot more for warm ups.

I played my first tourney yesterday 36 holes of Md's best which took about 6 hrs and I had some advil and it felt ok. I didn't have much of a warm-up except for some stretching and a few putts cause I was kinda late which killed me. I think I played my worst 2 rounds ever there. It was ridiculously muddy and melting ice especially around the tees and baskets. I played another 36 today at a much easier course and felt alright. I was killin it today, thought I had a couple aces, but had some nice birdies. I didn't have one birdie yesterday, and missed a 10', 15, and couple 20' attempts. At least I will only do better next time.

I think my strains are from it being so friggin cold when I was practicing. I think I threw 300 or more drives in 11 degree weather and the wind chill was 1 degree! I haven't noticed any pain the past two days where it is almost 60 degrees and not throwing that many drives. I've noticed I get more strains in the winter. I have tight muscles in general and I stretch as much as possible. I always hit the hot tub at the gym.

Try streching beforehand, also, when you drive make sure you have a good FLUID follow through. I could only imagine getting such pains for shortarming your drives.

I agree that stretching and follow through are key to avoiding injury. Make sure you stretch your back, shoulder and neck before letting it rip! Also make sure you stay hydrated. People forget that even muscles need fluid to function properly.

Also take several warm up throws before the round, getting increasingly stronger. Don't just go out there and shock the system by starting too powerful.

It's easy to forget to stretch especially when there is a backup on the first tee. That and always sink a few putts before you get started.

I must not be throwing hard enough..... some of my buddies come off the course all beat up and I'm ready for another 18...... I think it's all the Monster Energy drinks I drink..... fountain of youth IMO.....

I notice that if it is a big arm course like Milo McIver, plenty of stretching is a MUST. If it is smaller and less strenious like Timber, stretching is important but you don't to do it as much. Especially as we get older, stretching to us is like oxygen to a smoker.

Latest posts