• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need form help, what do I need to clean up/adjust?

ralvarez

Hey disc freaks!!

Need your assistance on my form...

Here is where I was at in July, 2015:
Throwing a really beat up 171g DX Valkyrie (it went maybe 260' with nose up issues)

Here is where I am at now:
Throwing a fairly new 166g Champion Valkyrie (it went ~325')

On RowVid for frame by frame:
http://rowvid.com/?v=zkDr_q5Ti3g

Here it is on YouTube

Thanks guys!

You aren't staying upright in posture enough and turning inside it, squeeze between the knees. Watch how far apart your knees/thighs are when you plant compared to the pros.

You aren't staying upright in posture enough and turning inside it, squeeze between the knees. Watch how far apart your knees/thighs are when you plant compared to the pros.

The legendary sidewinder! Books will be written about you good sir! Thank you.

Good old Boone Woods. I threw a Valk on this same hole as well when I started couple years ago and then lost it on the following hole. Just disappeared in the thick on the right. I looked for 30 minutes because it was the first disc I ever bought. I was out there last Friday and played 2.5 rounds. Fun course. You came to the right place for advice.

Should my elbow be higher through the throw? Because something looks off when I get the disc to my chest area and then it looks like I make an adjustment to bring the disc more on plane.

Should my elbow be higher through the throw? Because something looks off when I get the disc to my chest area and then it looks like I make an adjustment to bring the disc more on plane.
Yes, keep your hand lower and elbow up and out forward/wider. When you bend/extend the elbow the lower arm/disc should stay parallel to your shoulder plane. Instead you are bending into a triangle with your elbow not forward enough.

I think also with the leaning back and then leaning forward during the throw, the arm tends to do wacky stuff to keep the disc on plane since your axis (spine) is tipping back to front.

First order of business is staying upright/spine not tipping about.

Good old Boone Woods. I threw a Valk on this same hole as well when I started couple years ago and then lost it on the following hole. Just disappeared in the thick on the right. I looked for 30 minutes because it was the first disc I ever bought. I was out there last Friday and played 2.5 rounds. Fun course. You came to the right place for advice.

Yup, I live around the corner. It's the perfect practice course. I am hitting up Idlewild tomorrow.

Yes, keep your hand lower and elbow up and out forward/wider. When you bend/extend the elbow the lower arm/disc should stay parallel to your shoulder plane. Instead you are bending into a triangle with your elbow not forward enough.

When you say "elbow not forward enough", are you talking about just a couple inches more or needs to be a lot more forward?

I think also with the leaning back and then leaning forward during the throw, the arm tends to do wacky stuff to keep the disc on plane since your axis (spine) is tipping back to front.

First order of business is staying upright/spine not tipping about.

Awesome! thanks guys!

Whenever I get my elbow out in front (just past 90 degrees from shoulders) it feels like my disc/wrist is ahead of my power. And the disc goes significantly more to the right. Do you think that is because I am pulling my elbow too far or too early?

Next time I am out, I will try to capture that on video.
Shoulders too open = releasing power to right. Swing a heavy hammer around back and forth and toss it straight, you will find you need to close up your body to toss it straight instead of hooking it right.

Shoulders too open = releasing power to right. Swing a heavy hammer around back and forth and toss it straight, you will find you need to close up your body to toss it straight instead of hooking it right.

Ahhh, so when I am mentally trying to get my elbow out front, I am actually physically opening my shoulder too much.

Latest posts