• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help with form

Yeah, you are tipping over your front leg instead of moving forward ground up.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.58.29 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.58.29 PM copy.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 141
I've learned how to brace properly and can do it on my practice swings, but in my actual throws I'm still tipping over the top with my upper body:
https://youtu.be/_QDQGa86uIo
https://youtu.be/zr7H3q38jE8

For some reason every time I try to actually throw the disc, with an x-step or a single leg throw, I always tip over. I'm slowly getting better at it, but can anyone point me in the right direction of what exactly is causing me to do this?

June looks better than May. Looks like you are over-rotating in backswing. Rear foot is pointed 180 from target instead of like 135 and your rear elbow goes behind your back closer to target and then moves further away from target during swing. You want your rear arm to always move targetward, or never away from target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=9m40s

Due to recent injury I am stuck throwing standstill drives. I've currently hit a wall with my distance and need help.
https://youtu.be/7qTvuYfBXL0
One of the big things that I've noticed is that my right hip always gets jammed up during my swing but I dont know why. Also I am still working on adding the left arm to the throw.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.45.33 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.45.33 AM copy.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 91
Thank you for the reply. So regarding the head tilt, should my head be balanced over my front leg through the swing like in the Shawn Clement video, or is there a moment where the balance of my head changes?

Thank you for the reply. So regarding the head tilt, should my head be balanced over my front leg through the swing like in the Shawn Clement video, or is there a moment where the balance of my head changes?
Your head should be balanced on whichever leg you are on just like walking or running. If you stand on the rear leg and swing your front leg laterally, your head/spine should swing inline with the swinging foot so you land balanced on it in.

This has been driving me insane. I've been reading a bunch of threads and trying different drills and it seems like nothing is working. It's just like before where when I do practice swings, everything looks perfectly balanced but then when I throw I'm coming over the top/tilting my head.

The closest I got to more balanced was this drive https://youtu.be/Ytox4s17ygw
Where I'm thinking about really leading with my butt. Am I on the right track with this?

Need to side bend, so your left shoulder rises higher in the backswing and right shoulder swings back underneath.

Thank you! Really focusing on the side bend has helped so much. I think its still not perfect, but it's a ton better: https://youtu.be/WfPiupzakaU
I went out to the course today and although I didn't get much more distance, it now feels almost effortless to get the same distance I was getting before.
I had an unrelated question about the runup. So when I reachback in a standstill drive, I can really feel the coiling in the left hip pretty much until I brace. When I do a runup, should I be feeling the same thing? I noticed today when I tried a runup, there was almost no coil in my left hip and I bet its costing me distance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 12.30.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 12.30.16 PM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 61

I need some clarification on the arm during the swing. In the video above, the first throw is my normal swing where I try to really feel a coil from my left leg up through my shoulder, and then I brace into the ground very hard to make my body rotate around. With this swing I can reach a little over 400ft, however when I'm recording myself I often notice that my arm doesn't get nearly as deep in the pocket as most pros, most of the time barely reaching 90°.

The second swing is something I stumbled upon trying to correct this. Instead of thinking about coiling everything up and trying to push through the brace as hard as I can, I think about catching/stopping the lateral shift with the brace and letting the inertia of my arm/disc pull it through the swing. I feel much less coil and it's like I'm barely throwing the disc, but it goes almost as far as my normal swing. Theres also a video with Tristan Tanner describing wanting to feel the disc being ahead of the shoulders, which is exactly how I would describe this swing.

Is the second swing the "correct" way to think about arm movement, and if so, how do you add power to this swing?

When we push into the ground, should it be full force once the heel comes down, or is it a slower ramping up of force? It seem like when I do a dingle arm with a hammer I don't fully push into the ground until it's over my foot, which I guess would be the power pocket in a normal swing.

Although my distance has steadily been increasing, there have been some major issues that I have been ignoring, and I don't think I will break 500' without fixing them. Here's my current form:

The biggest problem I think I have (correct me if I'm wrong), that has plagued me since the beginning, is tipping over the brace. I get to a point where everything looks balanced right here:
balance.jpg
And then I drop into/collapse my right knee leading to this:
unbalanced.jpg
There are also a few other things that I've noticed, which could be related to tipping over. One is that my drive leg fully straightens and the other is that posture is really upright.
GZMkDAw

When I look at Kuoksa throwing a standstill, his drive leg is way more bent, and he is hinging at the hips much more. Are these problems with my swing, or is it just a difference in swings/body types? Also any drills to help the tipping over would be much appreciated.

Latest posts