• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need info (ammo) on Environmental Impact of Discs in Water

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
A local course owner, with whom I have a good relationship, is being bullied by someone upset over not being able to use part of the course for other activities. There are threats of a social media campaign, protests, etc. The person attempting to bully the course owner is basically throwing a fit and raising every possible issue that she can to scare the course owner: essentially throwing everything agains the wall to see what sticks.

The primary concern that the owner has are environmental issues raised regarding two holes that are bordered by a bayou. Of course, discs occasionally make it into the bayou and the bully is essentially screaming bloody murder about the environmental issues raised by the plastic going into the bayou.

I'm putting together some talking points for the owner to defend itself against such criticisms, like pointing out that the discs do not float and do not go downstream (bayous don't typically have fast moving water) and that local golfers routinely go disc diving.

If anyone has any good information, talking pooints or arguments that you think might be helpful with this issue, I'd deeply appreciate posting it here.

Also, does anyone know that type of plastics are used in the discs (PVC, PET, HDPE, LDPE, etc., or mixtures thereof), that would help me research additional helpful info.

Thanks in advance!

Polypropylene (PP) I am pretty sure- generally considered the safest form of plastic for food containers, etc...

Does the course owner not own the property itself?

You might reach out to the brands to see if they can provide you information on the types of plastics used (you don't need percentages or anything that will give away brand secrets). They might even have done studies on the environmental impact of their discs and be willing to provide it.

The course owner should look into 'getting ahead' of the bully by posting on social media, etc. that they are being bullied and threatened. Depending on the actions by the 'bully', the course owner might be able to get a cease and desist against them - this does sound like harassment. He/she should talk to a lawyer....I really suggest this as the bully could sue the course owner...better to get advice now rather than wait.

Some of them. I assumed all did and threw one of my dog's Superheroes (125 g or so) into the pond on the farm. It dropped like a rock and poor Annie swam around for about 5 minutes wondering what the hell happened.

: ( Bummer poor Annie.

Also, does anyone know that type of plastics are used in the discs (PVC, PET, HDPE, LDPE, etc., or mixtures thereof), that would help me research additional helpful info.

Well in my area of expertise all of these type of plastic are used in either sewer, storm, Domestic Water or Natural Gas below ground piping systems.

And the world has not ended.

Interesting topic.

In terms of talking points, I'd keep it simple. Nobody intentionally puts a disc in the bayou. Sincere efforts are made to retrieve any disc(s) that get wet by accident. Any disc that creates noticeable impact in the environment is removed.

Trying to argue any more technical details is playing the game that the troll/Karen wants to play.

The environmental impact of a lost disc sitting in the water for a year is "technically" not zero, but (I'd guess) statistically indistinguishable from zero. Delving into those subtleties does not do you any favors.

Don't do homework for the opponent. Don't waste time making valid but complex points in good faith, when you know you're facing a smear campaign.

You might find a lab to test the water so everybody knows what the status is. It would imply that water could be tested in the future to see if there is an appreciable change. I think what everybody knows is that discs are going to be a small component of the plastic waste in the water system, but quantifying that is going to be impossible. You might find there are currently worse offenders than plastic particles. I'd structure it so the burden of proof was on the person making the accusation and I'd not fall into the trap of defending a problem that has not yet been proven to exist.

Polypropylene (PP) I am pretty sure- generally considered the safest form of plastic for food containers, etc...

Does the course owner not own the property itself?

The course owner is a public body and is very concerned about a social media campaign. This also gives them no recourse with reference to "harassment." The body of water is an adjacent, navigable bayou that flows (slowly) into a nearby major river.

there was something on this in the course design section a while ago

ill see if i can find it in a bit

This is similar to the thread about a year ago in which I think a Park's Department was concerned about the bits of plastic that were being left behind by discs hitting trees and rocks.

The major environmental concern about plastic is when it decomposes to micro plastics.

Like soda bottles and grocery bags that become brittle due to UV, then fracture to tiny pieces and end up in the wild life. They ingest it—not to eat the plastic, but incidentally.

Discs can sit in the water for years on the bottom and there will be no noticeable degradation.

As was suggested, you have to use caution about playing the harassers game.

It may be difficult to impossible to win this.

The major environmental concern about plastic is when it decomposes to micro plastics.

Like soda bottles and grocery bags that become brittle due to UV, then fracture to tiny pieces and end up in the wild life. They ingest it—not to eat the plastic, but incidentally.

Discs can sit in the water for years on the bottom and there will be no noticeable degradation.

It may be difficult to impossible to win this.

Wonder what fraction of a percent of the microplastics are from discs? Not to make light of the issue as we are all soaking in complex molecular structures that are probably killing us all slowly and costing us bazilions in medical. Even the bioplastics have issues.

One of the talking points I gave the course owner is that fishermen (like me) inadvertently put far more plastics into the water than disc golfers and such plastic has far more troublesome shapes and sizes for wildlife (e.g., fishing line and plastic lures) than golf discs. I especially like this comparison because the course owner would laugh at any suggestion that it curtail the use of such plastics near the same water body adjacent to this course (and that it has jurisdiction over). Any threat to protest fishermen would be met with, "go ahead, knock yourself out."

Entanglement and ingestion are issues that discs don't really have around here. And the discs that don't float aren't going to end up in the ocean. No one is going to successfully argue or protest against fishing in this neck of the woods and such threats against disc golf shouldn't be taken any more seriously.

You might find a lab to test the water so everybody knows what the status is. It would imply that water could be tested in the future to see if there is an appreciable change. I think what everybody knows is that discs are going to be a small component of the plastic waste in the water system, but quantifying that is going to be impossible. You might find there are currently worse offenders than plastic particles. I'd structure it so the burden of proof was on the person making the accusation and I'd not fall into the trap of defending a problem that has not yet been proven to exist.

I second these comments. The water test is probably more of a last resort if the situation really escalates. The simple fact is the environmental impact of a few discs potentially floating into the river, and a few more sinking and sitting in the bayou over time is going to be very low. That's primarily because those discs are going to take a very long time to decompose to a level that is likely to harm wildlife.

Latest posts