• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Charlotte, NC Courses

scooby snack

Birdie Member
Has Charlotte become oversaturated with courses, or are there plans in the works for new courses in undeveloped areas around town?

Considering both Eastway and RL Smith were pulled recently due to a lack of course maintenance, I would say yes.

That's not at all why they were pulled. New utility lines were installed at Smith. A giant new red center / park amenities went in at Eastway. A new layout is being designed now.

Has Charlotte become oversaturated with courses, or are there plans in the works for new courses in undeveloped areas around town?

Have you played a course in Charlotte? You notice the crowds at them on the weekends? It's on each municipality, p & r department, and volunteers to care for courses.

Charlotte is blessed to have an enormous DGC with 600+ members. Just like any other club 5% of members do 95% of the work. Ask Bravethrower, 1978, or DavidW about steps to take to get courses in other areas.

That's not at all why they were pulled. New utility lines were installed at Smith. A giant new red center / park amenities went in at Eastway. A new layout is being designed now.

I forgot that about RL Smith, but had heard it. Shame as I really liked that course. Glad to here that Eastway will be returning. Last time I had played there it was super overgrown and had heard it was pulled from lack of play/upkeep.

Have you played a course in Charlotte? You notice the crowds at them on the weekends? It's on each municipality, p & r department, and volunteers to care for courses.

Charlotte is blessed to have an enormous DGC with 600+ members. Just like any other club 5% of members do 95% of the work. Ask Bravethrower, 1978, or DavidW about steps to take to get courses in other areas.

I played Reedy and Renaissance on a trip to Charlotte pre- covid. Didn't have time to play all the courses I wanted. You guys living there have it good.

I forgot that about RL Smith, but had heard it. Shame as I really liked that course. Glad to here that Eastway will be returning. Last time I had played there it was super overgrown and had heard it was pulled from lack of play/upkeep.

Might want to check your sources next time.

I played Reedy and Renaissance on a trip to Charlotte pre- covid. Didn't have time to play all the courses I wanted. You guys living there have it good.

I still don't understand the crux of your post. Why are you criticizing Charlotte's courses?

Huh, where in my posts did I criticize Charlotte courses?

Pretty strong criticism / implication in the OP. Why does it matter if Charlotte / Meck County has X number of courses? How does that impact courses, or lack thereof, anywhere else? If you're counting school courses, Rock Hill technically has more courses than Charlotte proper.

Pretty strong criticism / implication in the OP. Why does it matter if Charlotte / Meck County has X number of courses? How does that impact courses, or lack thereof, anywhere else? If you're counting school courses, Rock Hill technically has more courses than Charlotte proper.

It's not a criticism, it's a question of whether Charlotte will be able to continue installing courses, or if the city decides at some point that there are enough courses, and new ones aren't needed.

As big as Charlotte is (or any other city), there's only so much land available.

If you think I'm criticizing your city, read my previous post saying "you guys who live in Charlotte, have it good."

It's not a criticism, it's a question of whether Charlotte will be able to continue installing courses, or if the city decides at some point that there are enough courses, and new ones aren't needed.

As big as Charlotte is (or any other city), there's only so much land available.

If you think I'm criticizing your city, read my previous post saying "you guys who live in Charlotte, have it good."

There's a gap in that thought as the two concepts aren't connected. There is a finite amount of space within the city limits for any commodity - roads, houses, schools, parks, greenways, disc golf courses, etc. - whether there is enough of said commodity/resource or not. And, you can always build outside of that territory as well. If you've played in Charlotte before, you know some of the best courses in metro Charlotte (for the sake of this discussion, within one hour of downtown) are away from the city: Fox Chase, Goose Landing, and City Lake in Albemarle, Chester State Park, Camp Canaan, Rankin Lake, Bear & Glenn C. Hilton (Hickory), Stumpy Creek, etc. None is in Mecklenburg County. If you expand it to a two hour drive, you're bringing in Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, western NC, and the Triad. All have excellent courses in those regions too.

Again, getting back to your original question, why does it matter how many courses are in any municipality? How many are in Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Tupelo, MS? Does it matter?

Again, getting back to your original question, why does it matter how many courses are in any municipality? How many are in Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Tupelo, MS? Does it matter?

My original question was about new courses in Charlotte, not Mecklinburg or courses hours away. In the city proper, will there continue to be new courses installed? Or is it at or near the point of saturation where the city won't allow it, or the local club can't keep up with the maintenance?

Charlotte is known as a disc golf mecca from coast to coast. I've only visited once, and I played Reedy, and Renaissance. I wanted to play Hornets nest and Kilbourne but didn't have the time.

My original question was about new courses in Charlotte, not Mecklinburg or courses hours away. In the city proper, will there continue to be new courses installed? Or is it at or near the point of saturation where the city won't allow it, or the local club can't keep up with the maintenance?

Charlotte is known as a disc golf mecca from coast to coast. I've only visited once, and I played Reedy, and Renaissance. I wanted to play Hornets nest and Kilbourne but didn't have the time.

You are missing the point. It's not an issue of saturation. It's an issue of available land. There is a finite amount of space. At some point there won't be parks, but we're a long ways from there.

Again, why the concern for Charlotte when you seemingly live nowhere near it? Why not worry about getting courses getting built in your area rather than the 297 square miles that make up Charlotte? You clearly have no clue how busy courses are/how popular the sport is here or you wouldn't be asking ridiculous questions.

Last edited:
Maybe he's researching for his own purposes. Maybe he wants to be able to go to his own city council and say "Charlotte has 25 courses and are not oversaturated. In fact they are building more! I think you can let us have more than 2 in our city."

Or maybe he's just curious about a city he admires.

You are missing the point. It's not an issue of saturation. It's an issue of available land. There is a finite amount of space. At some point there won't be parks, but we're a long ways from there.

I'm not missing the point, you've been evading the question until now. And why do you have an issue with someone asking about the disc golf scene in Charlotte? This is a forum for discussing disc golf.

I enjoyed my time there and would love to return or possibly relocate there if given the chance.

I'm not missing the point, you've been evading the question until now. And why do you have an issue with someone asking about the disc golf scene in Charlotte? This is a forum for discussing disc golf.

I enjoyed my time there and would love to return or possibly relocate there if given the chance.

There continue to be new courses being built in and around Charlotte. Reread your original post. You asked about surrounding areas. I listed a dozen highly regarded courses in towns around Charlotte. It doesn't matter where the course goes in the ground. In most areas, if you build one, people will come.

Mental note: Never ask about Charlotte disc golf with Craig around.

How about ask a direct question and you'll get an answer? On weekends, every course will seemingly have backups with groups of 4-8 on many holes. Are there too many courses? No. There aren't enough. Still don't know what that has to do with the OP about other towns not having courses.

Latest posts