• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Charlotte, NC Courses

This thread derailed really quickly. I travel from Columbia SC to charlotte to play alot. They are the best courses in the US to me. I did not find his question offensive at all. I feel there was a simple question asked and someone just wanted to be butthurt or just argue for the sake of arguing. I have never had a super huge back up at any charlotte course. However I can see back ups on a course like scrapyard not at renny or hornets nest. Its no an uncommon complaint I have noticed from your rec, not everyday players they find Charlotte DG people are very rude. Again I have no ran into this, but it is a complaint I hear a lot. Ok I derailed my own comment. I love Charlotte, I love the work the guys put in for the beautiful courses, and will always go and play these amazing courses. I think the simple question was is the area oversaturated.... Its not that hard to give a simple answer. Dont run off potential people coming to Charlotte by being rude and arguing.

This thread derailed really quickly. I travel from Columbia SC to charlotte to play alot. They are the best courses in the US to me. I did not find his question offensive at all. I feel there was a simple question asked and someone just wanted to be butthurt or just argue for the sake of arguing. I have never had a super huge back up at any charlotte course. However I can see back ups on a course like scrapyard not at renny or hornets nest. Its no an uncommon complaint I have noticed from your rec, not everyday players they find Charlotte DG people are very rude. Again I have no ran into this, but it is a complaint I hear a lot. Ok I derailed my own comment. I love Charlotte, I love the work the guys put in for the beautiful courses, and will always go and play these amazing courses. I think the simple question was is the area oversaturated.... Its not that hard to give a simple answer. Dont run off potential people coming to Charlotte by being rude and arguing.

Well said

QUOTE=DiscGolfCraig;3698389]There continue to be new courses being built in and around Charlotte. Reread your original post. You asked about surrounding areas..[/QUOTE]

I asked about Charlotte, not surrounding areas. Here's my original post.

Has Charlotte become oversaturated with courses, or are there plans in the works for new courses in undeveloped areas around town?

Maybe some other folks more knowledgable than you will respond, seeing as your posts haven't really been helpful.

QUOTE=DiscGolfCraig;3698389]There continue to be new courses being built in and around Charlotte. Reread your original post. You asked about surrounding areas..

Maybe some other folks more knowledgable than you will respond, seeing as your posts haven't really been helpful.[/QUOTE]

Join the clubs' FB pages.

QUOTE=DiscGolfCraig;3698389]There continue to be new courses being built in and around Charlotte. Reread your original post. You asked about surrounding areas..

Maybe some other folks more knowledgable than you will respond, seeing as your posts haven't really been helpful.[/QUOTE]

Re-rereading your original question, I think you simply meant to ask, 'are new courses being planned for Charlotte?', instead of the way it was actually written. In that case, the answer is:
- Elon Angry was recently redesigned.
- Cornelius Road Park was recently redesigned.
- Eastway's course is being built
- JAARS in Waxhaw is being expanded from 9 to 18.
- There are private, unlisted courses that have recently reopened/are undergoing redesigns.
- In addition, there are plenty of courses within an hour or so's drive that are being designed or have recently opened.

Re-rereading your original question, I think you simply meant to ask, 'are new courses being planned for Charlotte?', instead of the way it was actually written.

Nope, I asked just what I intended. It's a simple question that you struggle to give a straight answer to.

Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty of more knowledgable folks with better perspective than yours.

Scooby, this is not really the place for your questions. Go meet up with Stan and some of the others in the area; put in some work and you will be sharing answers...(DiscGolfCraig is actually a pretty knowledgeable dude, as shown by some of his direct response...even if he's not the best communicator in the world) :)

Scooby, this is not really the place for your questions. Go meet up with Stan and some of the others in the area; put in some work and you will be sharing answers...(DiscGolfCraig is actually a pretty knowledgeable dude, as shown by some of his direct response...even if he's not the best communicator in the world) :)

I don't live near Charlotte, or I would gladly get involved there.

I've visited there once on a side trip and played two courses. I didn't have the time to play more.

I started the thread because Charlotte is known as a disc golf mecca, and if the opportunity to relocate presents itself (and it might later this year), Charlotte would get top consideration.
I was trying to get feedback on whether or not new courses will continue going in around the city.

I don't live near Charlotte, or I would gladly get involved there.

I've visited there once on a side trip and played two courses. I didn't have the time to play more.

I started the thread because Charlotte is known as a disc golf mecca, and if the opportunity to relocate presents itself (and it might later this year), Charlotte would get top consideration.
I was trying to get feedback on whether or not new courses will continue going in around the city.

Using DGCR's map feature, there are 56 18-hole courses within 50 miles of downtown Charlotte. If you expand that out to 150 miles, you can easily triple that. Whether there are new courses on the horizon or not, you've got plenty to play. There are courses on the other side of the county (Bradford, Robbins, and Bracketts) that I haven't played in a long time as there are so many more convenient options.

New to Charlotte

Newer to Charlotte area , transplant from NE- love it here, courses are great , as those in surrounding areas of the Carolinas. Great place to be , love it ! But I'm with Craig. Very busy here; not a bad thing , just a a victim of its own success... you can never have enough options. I think it's needed here., and that's not a bad thing.

Newer to Charlotte area , transplant from NE- love it here, courses are great , as those in surrounding areas of the Carolinas. Great place to be , love it ! But I'm with Craig. Very busy here; not a bad thing , just a a victim of its own success... you can never have enough options. I think it's needed here., and that's not a bad thing.

My OP asking if the city is oversaturated, wasn't a question of are there to many courses currently. I was asking if the city will continue allowing new courses to be installed, or cap installations at some point.
As disc golfers, we can probably all agree the more courses, the better.

I'm not from there, but I think the local club has a good relationship with the parks department and city. I can only assume Charlotte will allow more courses to be installed. Unfortunately, not all cities allow the growth of the sport like Charlotte, Minneapolis, DFW, Austin, and others.

My OP asking if the city is oversaturated, wasn't a question of are there to many courses currently. I was asking if the city will continue allowing new courses to be installed, or cap installations at some point.

I'm not from there, but I think the local club has a good relationship with the parks department and city. I can only assume Charlotte will allow more courses to be installed. Unfortunately, not all cities allow the growth of the sport like Charlotte, Minneapolis, DFW, Austin, and others.

You're correct that there is a great relationship between the club and Parks & Rec. Mark Huether (1978), Pat Bowles (BraveThrower), David Weaver (DavidW), and a host of others have worked tirelessly on building and maintaining the relationship that was forged by Stan McDaniel. Within the county, there are a handful of larger parks that seem as potential spots (Mallard Creek Park, McDowell Nature Preserve, Francis Beatty Park, Stevens Creek Nature Preserve, Boyce Park, William Davie Park, etc.) where the club has either been told 'no' or 'no ... for now.' In the meantime, cities in surrounding counties are expressing more interest to install courses. Knowing the local club, it's just as likely to redesign a course (see Elon Angry Beaver or Cornelius Road Park) if it goes too long between new courses. That said, RL Smith should be getting the green light within the next 12 - 18 months on its new installation.

I'm with Craig, I read:
'oversaturated' = 'too many', and was wondering wtf was wrong with OP.
If asking whether all available spaces had been looked at already or not, I would've gone with something like 'already saturated'.

You're correct that there is a great relationship between the club and Parks & Rec. Mark Huether (1978), Pat Bowles (BraveThrower), David Weaver (DavidW), and a host of others have worked tirelessly on building and maintaining the relationship that was forged by Alan Beaver and Stan McDaniel

FTFY. ;)

There is always talk of growth behind the scenes. Currently the focus is on strengthening what we have and getting back Eastway this year and RL Smith hopefully next year though they will be very different courses with the construction. Eastway in fact has 0 holes from the original layout.

Other than that I currently only know 1 small 9 holer in Meck county that is 100% being installed this year up in Huntersville. It's going to be targeted towards kids and beginners and is on a very small piece of property.

Believe me there is constant talk of future projects and I'm sure we will be seeing new courses in the future especially with the uptick in traffic on the disc golf courses around town.

I'm not missing the point, you've been evading the question until now. And why do you have an issue with someone asking about the disc golf scene in Charlotte? This is a forum for discussing disc golf.

I enjoyed my time there and would love to return or possibly relocate there if given the chance.

It's a weird question in the first place. Usually such a question would have some kind of basis around it. Just out of the blue like this insinuates there is something wrong with the Charlotte scene and is usually asked by someone for which it has some relevance.

Has Charlotte become oversaturated with courses, or are there plans in the works for new courses in undeveloped areas around town?

No. The difference in Charlotte and a lot of other clubs is Charlotte has point people to discuss courses with municipalities and it appears club members respect this approach. Many other areas have clubs with renegades who lack contacts and occasionally social skills to develop relationships with decision makers. Over the past several years, guys that have played twenty courses locally with the same terrain feel they can design a course that may be completely different than what they are familiar with. Many also are just trying to put courses in the ground for the sake of adding a course regardless if it will be maintained or consistently played.