• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course for Rush Township Pa.

rshrevo

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
There is a new course scheduled to be constructed in John M Ryan Memorial Park in Rush Township Pa. We are currently getting sponsorships for each hole. The park sits on 26.44 acres and all that is on this property currently is a tennis court, a bench, and a picnic table. We have room for 18 holes in the main park area and 3 alternate holes just across the one way road into the park. The township supervisor is excited about this project. The course will be Wooded and very hilly. We are working on installing 9 holes with 2 pads each to get the course up and running and then start installing the back nine holes and at least 3 alternate holes. Future additions to this park are in the works like walking trails, playground, sledding hill and a small pavilion. I will post more about future park cleanup dates and course work dates as we move ahead with each stage of development. anyone who would like to help or would like more information about this course can pm me here.

Thanks

Randy Shreve
Park Steward for John M Ryan Memorial Park, Rush Township.

Update

We are Purchasing the Baskets from the former Villas Crossings Disc Golf Course and Installing them at John M Ryan Park in Rush Township Schuylkill County Pa. Course Construction is Scheduled to begin by mid September. Course Completion Date should be by end of September or early October. Anyone willing to volunteer to help with installation can message me here and i will give you the details of when the work days will be.

Randy Shreve

Park Steward John Ryan Memorial Park.

Update

We have officially taken Possession of the baskets from the former Villas Crossings Golf Course. the Next step is to place them into their new home at John Ryan memorial Park in Rush Township in schulykill county pa. When construction Starts I will post work dates for any interested party to come help put this course in the ground. If you would like more information about the course you can contact me here.

Randy Shreve
Park Steward for John Ryan Memorial Park.

thank goodness winter is finally over. we are currently designing hole layouts for the course we have the holes pretty much set will hope to have them finalized and assigned hole numbers by the middle of next week. this course will have some unique challenges as far as hole locations are concerned and maybe even as creatures are concerned since we saw bear tracks on the property tonight.

hole description

top photo will be hole 8 up the path.

photo with the stream. tee pad will be a little farther left giving everyone the choice of a hyzer line or anhyzer line to the basket.

last photo is hole 9 downhill run to basket in middle just past the down tree. with water in behind.

We have finally started doing fairway trimming and clearing areas for throwing lanes on the holes. We currently have about 14 fairways cleared with 4 more holes that will need some work on clearing all the brush. Basket placement is hopefully going to be next week on Friday August 30. Once the course is open there will still be some clearing going on to open up alternate throwing lanes and clear areas where we want to put a long tee from. Pics will be of hole 4 downhill run to the right tree at bottom in sun basket will be right of there. 5 up the path to the left black disc golf bag is in fairway about 40 feet from basket location to the left and behind large boulder. Hole 10 the line is right of the tree with the yellow pruners hanging on the left side of it. between the next to trees basket will be tucked in near drainage stream.

Attachments

• 0820191802-00.jpg
    0820191802-00.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0820191824-00.jpg
    0820191824-00.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 17
  • 0816191852-00.jpg
    0816191852-00.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 17
Basket install

Baskets are going to start being installed later this week. I have a couple more fairways to clear but course should be playable soon after basket install. the last holes to be installed will be holes 1,2,3. only because of the work he needs to do in order to get his equipment to place the baskets in. attached is the proposed course map of the area.

Attachments

• new course layout.jpg
    new course layout.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 20
Just got word on Friday from the township supervisor that the bases for the baskets are being installed. the baskets should be installed next week sometime. Holes 1,2,3 might be a bit since they need to make a access point and install a gate to prevent off road vehicles from entering that section.

Baskets are in.

The Baskets are in. We are currently working on creating tee pads. tee signs after we finish locking in where the pads will be the next step. also a lot of tree cleanup is in process as well. there are a number of downed trees that need to be chainsawed. with the logs being used as seats for some of the tee pads.

Possibe hole redesign

We are currently looking into moving a few holes around. The holes that we are moving are the 3 holes on the south side of the property. We plan on moving them into the main park area. In order to add these 3 holes into the main park area we are also moving current hole 13 and hole 17's basket to accommodate the flow of the course. The new layout will make old hole 4 now hole 1. the new holes will now be hole 10,11,12,13, and hole 16. as of right now no changes to the current layout. I will post as soon as baskets are relocated. right now you can play them in their current location. the course is listed on udisc and discgolfscene. I have not posted here yet since they want tee signs in place first. We have tee pad material on order and a plan is in place to have a few bridges put in to cross the stream in the middle of the park.

Attachments

• temp new layout.jpg
    temp new layout.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 18
Finalized Hole Layout

We have finally got all the holes currently in the main park. the pic is a rough drawing of the course layout. I have the layout also posted on Udisc. I currently working on making temporary tee signs. Hope to have most of them installed by the middle of next week. We should have mats placed for the tees soon. we are getting with the city to find a day to have them installed. We have all the supplies just need a day for them to help put them in.

Attachments

• Hometown course 2020.jpg
    Hometown course 2020.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 8
We have finally got all the holes currently in the main park. the pic is a rough drawing of the course layout. I have the layout also posted on Udisc. I currently working on making temporary tee signs. Hope to have most of them installed by the middle of next week. We should have mats placed for the tees soon. we are getting with the city to find a day to have them installed. We have all the supplies just need a day for them to help put them in.

Is it this course: Hometown Hollow DGC (clicky)?

Ryan Memorial Park

didn't know anyone posted it online. we were trying to hold from posting until tee signs and holes were finalized. The Park name is John Ryan Memorial.

Last edited:
on Udisc and discgolfscene it is listed as John Ryan Memorial.

You can probably contact timg if someone posted inaccurate information, such as the course name.

For instance, the map at the link above seems to differ from the one you posted.

no its ok. I think I know who posted it he is helping build it with me. Just didn't know he did it. the map listed is the one he just sent me. we need to update it a bit. like i said on my drawing it was a rough drawing. from the pic and the tree cover it is really hard to find where the tee starts and holes are. i do have it mapped out on udisc though. I posted the numbers from udisc for the hole distances.

Just got word Saturday the 17th will be the first tee pad day. they will be trying to install the rubber mats for the tees. hopefully i will have the temp signs up by then. i have them done but on lockdown due to exposure at work.

I am cleared to leave the house finally. I will try to get the temporary tee signs in place on Monday or Tuesday.

Latest posts