• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

As my first post, I want to thank you guys for the heads up on Embark backpack. After I saw the original post I ran to my local Target and picked up the Grey with neon trim. I decided to try my Innova Deluxe divider insert as a temporary fix instead of the PVC frame. Two courses down and it has worked like a charm. It's light weight, sits nice and high on the back, and sits upright on the ground without tipping. And best of all my back doesn't hurt when hiking the big boy courses. Only con would be a bit more storage but at $100+ cheaper I say I scored! DGCR rocks!

Saw about 15 of them at target today. They were in the clearance area but they WERE NOT marked down! Bummer. Glad i got a cheaper one online. Still jealous of those guys finding them marked down to 7.50

They're all full-price at my target. I saw the deluxe one, too, for $35 and was tempted. I'll wait and see, since they had about 5-6 of the charcoal colored bags.

I got the same bag as OP and put it all together. Great stuff! I spray painted my PVC grey cause I thought that looked better inside the bag.

I'd also recommend grabbing a can of Pasti-Dip while you are at your Lowe's/Home Depot and treat the bottom of the bag since there is no weather proofing on the bag to begin with. I put some masking tape at the stitch line on the bottom and three coats later, no concerns about this bag at all.

Mine should be here today or tomorrow. :hfive: I will also pasti-dip the bottom of it. Not sure if I will build a frame or not.

I'm digging the deluxe edition i got for 35. My innova dividers work like a dream, and i am plasti-dipping the bottom today. Thanks Tizzor! The bag also has a 1 year warranty on it from defects, and is supposed to hold a ton of heavy books, so i think it should hold up nicely

Got this bag this afternoon, I can't wait to do some work to this thing! Might make it my glow bag since it has great room for LEDs

Played a round today on a 7000ft+ course and was no worse for the wear. The straps didn't tear and no obvious problems. I'm carrying 17 discs total, all in the main compartment, and over a liter of liquid between the two holders. I'll be taking it out again Thursday hopefully.

Played a round today on a 7000ft+ course and was no worse for the wear. The straps didn't tear and no obvious problems. I'm carrying 17 discs total, all in the main compartment, and over a liter of liquid between the two holders. I'll be taking it out again Thursday hopefully.

What's a liter?

Took it out for two more rounds on the long course Thursday, no problems and no tears. I picked up a different one in a better color today and I'll be keeping the blue as a backup.

I also looked at the Elite version of the bag, but the bag is deeper and it would seem more difficult to get your discs in and out. The depth of the regular is perfect imo, although the elite seems like a nicer bag overall. The shoulder straps seem to be the same in terms of stitching and material.

I grabbed 2 of these one for me and one for the woman (who has been complaining about her starter bag not being enough). Found a few of the feminine patterns in the clearance section for $7.50-11.50. Most of the more masculine colors were for 19.99 in a different section of the store.

Put 1/2" PVC into the frame, used T's and a running elbow instead. I have two rarely used discs that sit on the outside of the frame giving a nice flat wall to the outer edge. With the 1/2" it still stands just fine.

I had some plasti dip from a couple previous projects, so I applied that to the bottom of each of the bags, currently drying...
But I am curious, as to if it would benefit to plasti dip some of the interior fabric to keep it a bit more waterproof. The material seems like it would not hold up long in raining weather. Seeing if anyone tried this, or tried another alternative to this bag.

Side note: If anyone is still curious about this bag, just go get it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

So far $36 for 2 bags, that I would consider a serious upgrade to my discarrier, is an incredible deal.
With a few tweaks, this can be a fantastic bag.

I grabbed 2 of these one for me and one for the woman (who has been complaining about her starter bag not being enough). Found a few of the feminine patterns in the clearance section for $7.50-11.50. Most of the more masculine colors were for 19.99 in a different section of the store.

Put 1/2" PVC into the frame, used T's and a running elbow instead. I have two rarely used discs that sit on the outside of the frame giving a nice flat wall to the outer edge. With the 1/2" it still stands just fine.

I had some plasti dip from a couple previous projects, so I applied that to the bottom of each of the bags, currently drying...
But I am curious, as to if it would benefit to plasti dip some of the interior fabric to keep it a bit more waterproof. The material seems like it would not hold up long in raining weather. Seeing if anyone tried this, or tried another alternative to this bag.

Side note: If anyone is still curious about this bag, just go get it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

So far $36 for 2 bags, that I would consider a serious upgrade to my discarrier, is an incredible deal.
With a few tweaks, this can be a fantastic bag.

Never happened without pics :p

Never happened without pics :p

I changed the frame a bit on the interior. Seems the bag stands up fairly well on its own, so I decided to eliminate the side posts and create a center divider. I think the next part to upgrade is to add corrugated plastic to the exterior of the PVC frame. Then going to wrap it in material.

Both bags have been plasti dipped on the bottom, played a round with it after I applied it last night, seems to hold up well. After about 36 holes today, I can say this bag feels LOADS lighter than my Innova Discarrier.

In pictures the bag is currently holding 24 discs.
Main Compartment:
10 drivers | Divider | 3 Drivers, 4 mids, 1 putter
Back Pocket:
2 drivers, 2 putters
Putter Pocket:
2 putters

Likely would take out 2-3 discs to add more storage in the back pocket, but if needed can fit the 24. Putter pocket also has a perfect slot for a mini and a couple pencils.

Loops on the exterior hold Ace Race scorecard and the other loop holds my keys on a carabiner.

Things contemplating on it:

-Adding 1/4 wood dowels on the edges of the interior, just sewing them in to give it exact shape.
-Cutting top pocket out (It seems the pocket on top could be much larger, don't see why they put a much smaller pocket there)
-Plasti Dipping interior sides to make more durable (not positive on this yet, but would like to add a durability to it.

Attachments

• IMAG0458.jpg
    IMAG0458.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 495
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 565
  • IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 504
Very nice and thanks for the pics! I hadn't seen anyone else do the pvc down the middle in this fashion, does it hold it together better? The capacity seems great. I usually carry around 20 discs myself plus 3 putters. This would be right up my alley. Does the part that touch your back while mounted have any padding at all? is it comfortable when on for an extended amount of time? Thanks again for the pics.

Very nice and thanks for the pics! I hadn't seen anyone else do the pvc down the middle in this fashion, does it hold it together better? The capacity seems great. I usually carry around 20 discs myself plus 3 putters. This would be right up my alley. Does the part that touch your back while mounted have any padding at all? is it comfortable when on for an extended amount of time? Thanks again for the pics.

After looking at pics, I shortened the divider too so its just above the top of the discs, I may go shorter. The divider seems to work just fine. It holds well and sits perfect. As I said before the design of the bag naturally holds the discs fairly well, so the inner frame is kind of just a bonus but it does improve the bag's purpose. Once I put the plastic with it and fabric over the top it should blend right into the bag and be a nice rigid lightweight frame.

It has some padding, pretty lightly padded. It produces a small buldge that feels natural when on. It really seems lightweight and is very easy to play multiple rounds with.

I wish the straps were a bit longer, but that's just nitpicking. The bag feels very natural while using it on the course.