• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

I am late to the party, but wondering if the front pockets would hold a 6 pack of beer? I like bringing 6 cans with me to play when I go, but would like to know if this bag would be okay holding that?

Also, I decided that I am going to make a middle and side divider only, not both sides with the PVC pipe. SO it would look something like this ____|____| In this way, my midrange and driver discs would all fit on the right side, and I could put an ice pack with 6 beers on the other side. Thoughts?

I am late to the party, but wondering if the front pockets would hold a 6 pack of beer? I like bringing 6 cans with me to play when I go, but would like to know if this bag would be okay holding that?

Did you grab the $25 or $35 bag? I have the $35 bag and you can't easily fit a 6 pack in that front pocket - not that I'd want to - its my putter pocket. You can cram em in though if you separate the pack and shove em in tight. 4 in there do work easy enough but you obviously lose the putter slot in doing this.

If you got the $35 bag I would make the raised PVC divider (specs earlier in this thread) and you'd easily get a sixer underneath your discs.

Also, I decided that I am going to make a middle and side divider only, not both sides with the PVC pipe. SO it would look something like this ____|____| In this way, my midrange and driver discs would all fit on the right side, and I could put an ice pack with 6 beers on the other side. Thoughts?

One other consideration I'd worry about was the weight. I've only had mine since april but have used it a TON (~125 rounds in) with a lot of weight in it - 18 discs plus 2 24oz waters. I just recently starting seeing some heavy wear on the top of 1 strap and the end is near till it rips through. The plasti dipped bottom and everything else is holding up perfectly.

You guys got me excited about making a bag!

I started one tonight using a Army Recruiting backpack. I am hoping tomorrow evening to finish it after I get home from work. (And I'll get some pics then) The only thing I will probably need to add is a drink holder.

Pretty much finished with my bag. I just need to add some caps to the bottom of my PVC pipes. I am pretty satisfied and will be posting pics tomorrow. Thing has quite a bit of room for discs and anything else you might need!!!

I got the Embark Elite, the Jartop was too small IMO.

I used a 3.5'' tall pencil box in the bottom and carried 19 discs in the main pocket and 3 putters in the front pocket.
IMG_20140716_222324016.jpg

IMG_20140716_222230360.jpg

Last edited:
I cut a piece of vinyl floor tile to fit the bottom of the bag and wrapped it in foam. I set the pencil box on that and added one more layer of foam on top to help protect the discs and bag.

The foam pieces can be easily removed when they get wet. I will probably end up vacuum sealing the foam parts to avoid the hassle of having to keep them dry.

Anything in the pencil box is almost completely safe from water unless the bag is submerged. No more worrying about my phone getting wet. I will be looking for an airtight box soon just to be 100% sure everything stays dry.

:hfive:

Did you grab the $25 or $35 bag? I have the $35 bag and you can't easily fit a 6 pack in that front pocket - not that I'd want to - its my putter pocket. You can cram em in though if you separate the pack and shove em in tight. 4 in there do work easy enough but you obviously lose the putter slot in doing this.

If you got the $35 bag I would make the raised PVC divider (specs earlier in this thread) and you'd easily get a sixer underneath your discs.

One other consideration I'd worry about was the weight. I've only had mine since april but have used it a TON (~125 rounds in) with a lot of weight in it - 18 discs plus 2 24oz waters. I just recently starting seeing some heavy wear on the top of 1 strap and the end is near till it rips through. The plasti dipped bottom and everything else is holding up perfectly.

I have the smaller one and have the raised PVC frame. I can fit about 18 discs in the main pocket and have a divider. I'm pretty sure I can fit a 6 pack under my discs without much problem. I would have to remove some discs to access the beers, but it's no big deal. I can't try now cause I'm away from home, but send me a pm if you want some pictures and more information.

Ok, so I am about 80-90% done with this I believe. I need to learn how to Sew! Anyways, used PVC to build the box for the bottom half, then added plexiglass to create a seperate compartment in the upper half. These bags were standard recruiter bags for the Army. (You can find these for roughly 25-35 on ebay.)

I also used an old uniform on the inside to try to make the inside look a little better.

Main compartment could probably hold about 20-22 discs. Putter pocket could hold up to 5 discs, the additional upper pocket could probably fit 3-4 more discs, but going ot try to use that as a makeshift cooler. :)

Outside of the bag
TsEpJg4.jpg

With most of the pockets unzipped
UGWDzkk.jpg

Bottom pocket (still needs work)
3ymFEnz.jpg

Putter pocket, plenty of space and may add something to make the pocket a little more durable.
jrloGVi.jpg

The upper half
http://i.imgur.com/QEyZI59.jpg

The upper half with some ice packs to keep some beverages cool hopfully (Still needs work!) But the bottom half actually has velcro to keep the smaller packs in there so I can use my second ice pack.
http://i.imgur.com/ZC7oNgp.jpg

Thanks for looking! Also I think the only thing I need to add to this bag really is a better place to stash some of the smaller stuff, but overall I am very satisfied with how it turned out and appreciate the inspiration from everyone else doing it DIY!

I apologize for the huge images. I have sent a message to the mods and hopefully I can resubmit my images at a smaller res. I also have them at this link if anyone would like to check my new bag out! I am pumped!!!

http://imgur.com/a/BnhYs

The back to school season is starting at Target. That said, they have new color options in stock. Still $25 for Jartop and $35 for Elite.

Will probably grab an Elite this week. Really want the discs as high as possible, even if it means I can't close the top. I'll probably have to experiment with the PVC. Also like the feet idea. May use a bunch if I find the right kind. No looking forward to the PVC work though.

Definitely put the pvc in the elite to raise the discs as it makes them easier to get in/out and also gives you some much needed misc storage (energy bars, off, etc).

I initially followed the instructions in this thread but then later changed it around a bit going through some iterations. The 1st was because if I was light on discs they could turn sideways and fall down into the gap. So I put an extra middle divider in which was just like the outside edge walls giving me 2 sections for discs. This held the discs nicely and worked as intended but I eventually filled it up and needed some room. I decided that if I left the middle divider in I didn't really need the 2 outside ends. This freed up room for 2 more discs, which was very nice. Here is my poor attempt at showing the versions (from the side view):

Attachments

• PVC.jpg
    PVC.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 78
The bag doesn't need the outer support of the first two versions?

Nope, a few things I noticed that help make it a non-issue:
- the bottom is still a solid structure out to the full width, so it holds the shape very well (it is fairly tight side to side).
- I carry a tall drink in each side which pushes back into the discs a bit

Very happy with how it is now, I typically have in it:

- 3 putters in the front pocket
- 4 mids
- 5 fairways
- 6 distance drivers (I have done 7 w/o issue)

so 18 or 19 total. I don't think I could get a 20th in there unless I changed the makeup (less mids/putters).

Then throw in 2 20 oz waters in the sides, snacks, off, sunblock, etc in the bottom and it is loaded up pretty good.

Here are some pics - empty and then fully loaded with 19 as outlined above. 4 mids, 5 fairways, 7 DD (right of divider), 3 putters up front.

What are the dimensions of the innova divider?

Only downside there would be accessing the bottom storage. As it is now if I need to get in I just snag the DDs out real quick to get in. Pulling them all out may suck.

Attachments

• Bag1.jpg
    Bag1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Bag2.jpg
    Bag2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 197
So Timeetyo,
Have you thought about cutting into the front pocket to access the items below the frame, and sewing it so that the putters are still in a "pocket" ?

How does this backpack feel with all those discs and the majority of the weight in the upper half? How's the stability and ride in the back and sitting in the ground? Thanks.

Latest posts