• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY $25 Backpack Bag.

So Timeetyo,
Have you thought about cutting into the front pocket to access the items below the frame, and sewing it so that the putters are still in a "pocket" ?

I thought about it but there isn't really a way to do it that makes sense. To get into the bottom from the sides is a no-go due to the drink holders which I can't lose as I use both. To get in from the front means I'd either lose the putters or have the access be through the putter pocket. That would mean I'd still have to pull out discs to get in and it'd likely be awkward. As it is I can grab all my DD's on the right side in one hand and access w/ the other easy enough.

How does this backpack feel with all those discs and the majority of the weight in the upper half? How's the stability and ride in the back and sitting in the ground? Thanks.

To be fair here I am not very sensitive to the feel on the back and I know others are - so if you are more sensitive with your back your mileage may vary. For the ride on the back I don't mind it at all. One thing I haven't mentioned here is that I added padding into the laptop section. I added 1/4" foam board I had on hand from other hobbies. Without this I think I would feel the PVC frame which would not be good. Also I do have a lot of weight down low with 2 20oz waters which ride low so that may help. With that said - I'm sure it is not as nice as a quality back pack bag like a grip....but its $35 so....

For stability on the ground I haven't had issues. Set it sideways if on a hill and it'll be perfectly fine. The frame bottom gives it a nice solid base and it really isn't that high. Mine does get tipped over a lot but that is only because I use it to tether my dog who sometimes gives it a tug. :doh: Without the dog "helping" though I've never had it tip on any reasonably sloped ground.

Here are some pics - empty and then fully loaded with 19 as outlined above. 4 mids, 5 fairways, 7 DD (right of divider), 3 putters up front.

What are the dimensions of the innova divider?

Only downside there would be accessing the bottom storage. As it is now if I need to get in I just snag the DDs out real quick to get in. Pulling them all out may suck.

Not sure on the divider dimensions. I do not plan on using the lower portion of the bag for storage. Between the pockets and that first layer(laptop area) I'll have plenty of room for what I carry.
Really want something like

image.php

Got mine built last night. Main compartment does not hold the number of discs I expected. Large midst seem to cause a problem. I am going to use it a while in it's current config, then maybe try a different frame that does not have the PVC on both sides. But then, I fear I will lose the rigidity the tall frame provides. FlexSeal is drying now. This bag design is so close. If only it were smaller at the bottom, and larger at the top.

Wanted to throw out an update on this. So far I made 4 of these bags (3 black and one blue/gray) for friends with matching zipper pulls and birdie beads (beads were done by a friend but matched pulls). Only thing I added to the bag extra was I put Never Wet on the bottom of each of the bags. So far, after a lot of rounds, all of the bags are holding up fine and haven't had any rips or any issues at all. I have pictures but not with me at the moment. I can post them later by request.

I cannot get to anything while walking. This is huge.
Even a gimme requires bag removal from back.
Way too many full removal of bag during play.
Just inconvenient in every way compared to a single strap bag.

Very interesting. I got some quad shocks at Disc Golf Center for a good price while vacationing in FL this past February. I was really happy to get them.

I put them on my bag and just couldn't get adjusted to feel right. I know that this isn't actually a backpack, but the two strap vs. one concept is the same and I still prefer the single strap bag, myself. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

I might try to borrow a friends backpack for a round or two just to see, but I'm leaning towards sticking with what works for me.

I do enjoy this thread, though!

I just removed the sides of the frame. I bought a 6 quart Sterilite container and cut material from both the top and reservoir. The top part is sitting on top of the remaining PVC. The reservoir section is sitting on top of the top as a disc holder. I had to cut away almost all of the front for discs to fit. I can now fit 18 discs up top. I plan to eventually cover the Sterilite with some thin foam from Hobby Lobby.

I just removed the sides of the frame. I bought a 6 quart Sterilite container and cut material from both the top and reservoir. The top part is sitting on top of the remaining PVC. The reservoir section is sitting on top of the top as a disc holder. I had to cut away almost all of the front for discs to fit. I can now fit 18 discs up top. I plan to eventually cover the Sterilite with some thin foam from Hobby Lobby.

Pictures please! Sounds interesting. Still adjusting my bag and that's an interesting idea.

My bag has held up perfectly, I really like how there are 2 places on the bag to hang bagtags or towels.

Pictures please! Sounds interesting. Still adjusting my bag and that's an interesting idea.

I ended up putting it in storage. I just do not enjoy playing with a backpack.

The Sterilite container can be found at Target. The material is very difficult to cut. It cuts a bit, then shatters. I am not sure I would really recommend doing this unless you are really not happy with the PVC cage.

Cheap and Easy

I got a similar bag from target.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_135412352.jpg
    IMG_20140803_135412352.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20140802_173850510.jpg
    IMG_20140802_173850510.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20140802_173925475.jpg
    IMG_20140802_173925475.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 233
I just ordered this Oakley Bag for $30 ($40 after upgraded shipping and Tax) and hope to build a PVC frame and turn it in to a disc bag. It looks similar to the jar top from Target but I'm hoping the build quality is a little higher. I'll update with pictures once it arrives.

I had been messing with this old Ogio laptop bag I had sitting around. It kind of worked but it was frustrating when the discs would start twisting around as you took them in and out. Plus, it wanted to tip over.

So I saw the frame pic from KillaKPaz and thought I'd give it a shot. After a little trial and error, I'm really happy with the result. Now it really stands up. I guess it's time for some plasti-dip or something now. I'm really amazed what a difference the frame makes.

The frame in the bag. The bottom had to be a little shallower than the top. And the base is set a little forward.
GHKoKWP.png

Loaded with 11 drivers and 6 mids in the main compartment and two putters in the outside pocket:
d4aaKzj.png

Plus there's room under the discs for things like clothes, golden retriever, etc. The top, orange pouch is fleece-lined and perfect for phone, sunglasses, etc.

The large side compartment can hold a smallish water bottle. That would be my biggest complaint so far, it's not really ideal for that.

Trizzor, just wanted to say thank you for this tip. I played my first round with my new backpack and PVC frame today. I have 15 discs in the main with a towel and 1L water bottle, two 1L waters in the holders and 2 putters in the front. Great find!
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/7PE2nzl.jpg)

Currently using a soldier bag with the DD / Ogio straps, but have 3 older Ogio laptop/backpacks laying around. Do you feel you are maxed at 17 discs + Putters? I don't use the dividers in my soldier bag and have quite a bit crammed in there, most of it is probably unnecessary for every day use, but I like to have it just in case. I have been toying around the idea of using one of the bags I have around for something different, this maybe my motivation.

Latest posts