• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Flight Chart Update 8-20-10

Blake_T1

* Ace Member *
did the throwing for the new flight chart today. i'd guess the new charts will be ready in 5-14 days.

ratings (rng hss lss pwr):
hurricane 5.5 -2 +3.5 6
ninja 5.5 -3 +3 4
secret weapon 5 -2 +2.5 4
ascent 4.5 -0.5 +2.5 4
td rush 4.5 -2 +2 3
northman 4.5 -1 +3 4
river 4.5 -0.5 +3 4
flying squirrel 3.5 -2 +1 1
mission 3 -1 +1.5 1
MD1 3 0 +2.5 2
MD2 3 -1.5 +1 1
fuse 3 -1.5 +1.5 1
swan 2 -1.5 +1 1
money putter 1.5 0 +2.5 2
P2 2 0 +1.5 1
P1 2 -1 +1.5 1

adjustments:
ion (new rating average after throwing the medium) 2 -1 +1 1
moved apache, savage, and scream max to range 4.5
slight tweaks to banger, magnet, omega, titanic

debated a few other changes but decided to axe them last minute but they may happen in a future revision

do you keep copies of your old charts. I still trow the z x2 and would love to see where you rate it because I have been looking for a replacement for a couple years that is not OOP. I got a northman and a river the same day and found them very similar as you did.

i think the x2 was already discontinued when the chart popped up.

the Z would have been:
RNG 4 HSS 0 LSS ~3.5-4, PWR 4.

the actual LSS would probably have been like 3.8, but i don't get that specific :p

keltik said:
you rate the River the same as an Eagle-X?
Not far off...the only argument I could make would be a couple decimal points less HSS and as well as LSS. Probably not enough to get to a whole or half number for the chart so it looks the same.

the ratings aren't complex enough to capture all of the subtle differences between the two.

also, that's a composite average for the eagle-x across plastics, while the river was relatively similar across gold and opto (was diff of maybe 0.25 on the hss). dx would be -1 +3, champ -0.2 +3.6, star -0.6 +3.3, etc. i weighed it more heavily towards dx since that has been in production for ~9-10 of the past 12 years whereas champ and star combined have only been run for around half that.

it's sort of like a beaded putter or mid vs a non-beaded putter or mid. while the numbers might be similar you have a diff batch of characteristics that go along with the beaded putter, similarly with how a notched wing driver has its own set of characteristics.

e.g. the eagle x is more apt to recover from a turn and starts fading in earlier in the flight than the river.

Blake_T said:
i think the x2 was already discontinued when the chart popped up.

the Z would have been:
RNG 4 HSS 0 LSS ~3.5-4, PWR 4.

the actual LSS would probably have been like 3.8, but i don't get that specific :p
Thank you. you have the best chart for judgeing discs before you buy them. I wish the companies would adopt it then they could pay you royalties.

Blake: What MD2 did you try out? Your ratings suggest S-Line. In my experience the others have been more HSS than that (with C also being more LSS). But obviously the discs vary and neither can I say for certain that my P-Lines aren't freaks nor can you try all the variations of the disc, so it's a moot point.

Blake_T said:
did the throwing for the new flight chart today. i'd guess the new charts will be ready in 5-14 days.
Awesome! Your and Dan's efforts on the flight chart are greatly appreciated.

Did you correct the Dart? It was listed twice on the last chart, as 2.5 -0.5 1.5 1 and 2 -0.5 1 1.

the dart problem was because a rough draft of the chart got posted rather than the final copy but the correct chart did eventually get posted.

jubuttib:

all we have access to right now are S's and one was domey and one was flat (they were similar weight).

it may see an adjustment when more plastics become available.

tend to mix up the weights if at all possible.

depends on what's available and what the mold is. usually go for a wider spread for drivers and lean heavy on mids and putters. overall it shouldn't make a huge difference and run variance usually is responsible for more than weight stability.

the assassin, groove, and star katana are three molds that come to mind that were way more overstable in the lighter weight that we threw than the heavier due to run variance. like, the groove @167g was a 0 +4 while the 174g was -2 +2. had to average them out and guess what they were going for on that one heh.

basically, if i can visually see a difference in shape between runs i try to grab 1 of each variant. e.g. 1 super flat and 1 super domey.

I have been looking into trying the Aftershock/Shockwave combo out and from my readings, it looks like the numbers are switched for these two (?).

i just looked at DGA's descriptions and saw they had them as opposite. when we threw them the shockwave was definitely flippier than the aftershock but i will see if we can retest them with the next update (after this one) to verify it.

Blake_T said:
i just looked at DGA's descriptions and saw they had them as opposite. when we threw them the shockwave was definitely flippier than the aftershock but i will see if we can retest them with the next update (after this one) to verify it.
Some say that the first run Shockwave was the mold that later became Aftershock. Second run Shockwave should be significantly more stable.

Spike's got it right on... Early first run Shockwaves were slightly less stable than current production Aftershocks (Though very close). A regular production shockwave should test out to be more stable than either listing. (or at least have a higher power requirement because my puny arm can't get it to flip easily.)

good to know. the shockwaves we demo'd were first flights.

it only flipped when thrown > 325', but that was enough of a flip to give it a -0.5 HSS and not a 0.

the aftershocks we threw were quite stable though... more stable than rocs and torques... closer to a wasp with cro flare. those were also early run, will that make a difference?

i don't mind tweaking things as we go.

one thing is that when dan and i go test them i get to see how they fly at all speeds. on 250' throws i thought the shockwave was more stable than a roc but on a 380' throw rocs are still stable and the shockwaves were tracking like 10-15' left to right.

the ninja was sort of the second coming of the archangel. hit it right and boom. miss it at all and flub. the problem is the flubs are more common than the booms.

there's a few pluses and a lot of minuses.
it's throwable with 270' of power... but it's so wide winged and nose sensitive that most people who throw 270' probably don't get enough nose down to throw it well. lay on it and it will turn and roll, but it's too understable to be a great roller.

file under: uphill tailwind drives.

note: to grip a ninja well you should be able to palm 2 basketballs with 1 hand.

Latest posts