• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] new gator?

and the whistles go woooo

62099.original.png
Thank you for this.

But back to the topic at hand. The first and only Gator I've had is Beadless Star. I just can't deal with the beaded mold, and I don't think the Zone is similar enough to call it a sufficient replacement for a Gator. I throw both and feel that there's room in my bag for both.

I went to my local shop last week, and noticed that they had a beadless star Gator (weight was low, so I passed on it). I asked the owner about it because I know that they can be kind of hard to find, and he said that they get in beadless Gators every so often from Innova and that he'd put in a request on the next order for some in higher weights for me. He usually just drives up to Innova to pick up the order to save on shipping, so I should know before the middle of next week if the request was honored and Innova has some available. I'll report back here when I know what the deal is.

If you still can't get one, check out the cro, I believe it has a similar profile to the gator, but has a more rounded nose, and has a minute bead.

Beadless Gator, huh? Is it just as overstable as a beaded Gator? If so, I'd be extremely interested in trying to find one. But I usually stay away from hard to find discs that will cost me more money and be inconvenient to replace... So what mid is in regular production that has overstability like a Gator, but no bead?

If I'm unable to get another beadless Gator, I'm either going to be moving to Hornets, Drones, or making Zones work.

The Obex and Wasp are also supposedly close, too. But I have little experience with either of those. (And I believe Wasps are beaded, as well.)

Obex has a bead. And I actually prefer the flight from an Obex compared to the Gator, just recently have been developing some distaste for beads, especially on non- putters.

If I'm unable to get another beadless Gator, I'm either going to be moving to Hornets, Drones, or making Zones work.

The Obex and Wasp are also supposedly close, too. But I have little experience with either of those. (And I believe Wasps are beaded, as well.)

i'll let mine go for any zish zone! i just like them better.

Love the beadless Gator. I have a beadless Star and a CFR Champ Gator w/ a bead. For the most part they fly the same, different feel though. Beadless do skip quite a bit more. I prefer the beadless because of the way it feels in my hand.

I have beadless gators at my store. They are all about 169g

Oh you are tempting me to get another backup . . . I already have 3 backups right now but they are all somewhat used. A nice new one might be in order since I came home with one from Florida last year for Aaron Q. He was soo pumped I brought that home for him. Does he know you have them??? If not make sure he does, he will buy one for sure too.

Anyone else who has thrown an Obex and a Gator think they are vastly different? The Obex seems to actually turn right early on while the Gator never will do that unless into a headwind. InBounds disc flight chart has them as the same flight ratings as is the Zone.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else who has thrown an Obex and a Gator think they are vastly different? The Obex seems to actually turn right early on while the Gator never will do that unless into a headwind. InBounds disc flight chart has them as the same flight ratings as is the Zone.

Any thoughts?

Gator is type 1 overstable, it fades right out of the hand. Obex is type 2 overstable, it goes straight for a good part of it's flight before fading. That being said, I have always felt that the Obex doesn't have as much high speed stability as most overstable molds. It doesn't handle itself in headwinds as well as I feel like it should and on really good rips I have felt that it tracks right some, but even though I never saw flutter, I always thought it was probably OAT. I still love the Obex for my overstable slot, I just don't really trust it for stiff headwinds (which is while I'll sometimes still pop a Gator in my bag).

So I've been looking at the Cro because I heard it has the same bottom as the Pig... I love my Pigs and am looking for a slightly less complement. Is the Cro basically a beadless gator? Anyone know how much hss they have?

Beadless Gators are still pretty common, even if they are pop, you can still get them easily so for now they are just stock for prices

The Cro isn't as blunt-nosed as the Gator...and it will actually throw straight, not just meathook out of the hand. Like a Hornet ... except just a tad less overstable and with much less glide.