• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy in the Des Moines IA area

painted_klown

Hello all,

New guy here in the Des Moines Iowa area. I just picked up my first disc golf discs four days ago and picked up a few more at WalMart. :D

I have played disc golf only two times over ten years ago. I had been interested in the sport, but where I was living previously was extremely rural and I didn't know anybody who played.

I recently moved close to Des Moines and was looking for a fun way to get some exercise. My first thought was disc golf, so I did a quick search and was happily surprised to find out there is actually a course right here in town. :D

I searched the web to find a shop and went down the following day. Being that I have no idea of what I'm doing, or what to buy, I decided that I wanted to get an Aviar3 in Star plastic, and something else to go with it. The Aviar3 I got is 168g.

The guy at the shop recommended I get a Valkyrie, so I also picked up one of those in DX plastic. The Valkyrie is 172g.

My son was with me, and they had a used section, so I picked a random disc for him. He didn't know/care about the disc type, he simply wanted a red one. LOL! I bought a used Discraft Rattler for him. It doesn't say the weight, but I threw it on a scale and it weighs 169g.

After picking up our discs, we headed out to the local course. I realized right away that I had no idea of how to throw the discs, so I really just spent most of the time tossing the discs around, to see what they did. All of them flew roughly the same for me. When throwing RHBH, they all broke right on the turn and faded left.

Oddly, I thought the lower cost Discraft Rattler seemed to have less fade to the left than my expensive new Aviar3. In some ways, I like that aspect a bit more. This might be an odd thing to say, but please consider that I have no idea of how to throw properly, and was probably not throwing them nearly hard enough.

I did find that I could get a lot more distance out of all of the discs by throwing RHFH. When doing so, the flight characteristics of the discs reversed. All of them broke left on the turn and faded to the right.

The next day I stopped at wal-mart to grab some stuff and found they were selling golf discs there as well. I ended up buying a 180g R-Pro Roc, and two 175g DX Teebirds. I also decided to get an Innova starter bag, to put my beginning collection into. :)

I got these home late and wanted to go throw them the next day. Well, I ended up going to the park and it started raining pretty heavily before I could really give them enough tosses to see what they did. However, it stopped raining later on, and I decided to simply throw them around the yard a bit, since I wasn't even using the baskets at the park anyway.

What I found was that the Roc is probably not my cup of tea just yet. I had really high hopes for this disc, as I have read about its popularity among players. However, I found I wasn't very accurate with it, for whatever reason...most likely a combination of poor technique and not throwing hard enough.

On the other hand, I found myself REALLY liking the Teebirds. I was using a dome cover for a drain (on the ground) for my target, and found that I consistently had better luck landing these discs where I wanted them to go. I think I found my first favorite disc! :D:p

Anyway, if you made it through my novel of an introductory post, I thank you for reading. I plan to read and learn as much as I can about the sport, as well as get out and throw discs as much as possible. It may be the excitement of a new hobby or whatever, but I find myself hooked already! :)

Welcome to the sport!! It's amazing! You'll get a ton of disc recommendations and form advice, if you ask for it. My only advice is to watch a lot of video and practice constantly; putting, especially. That did more for me, so far, than any other thing, even though putting practice is not nearly as much fun as throwing. Good luck and, most of all, enjoy!

A lot of courses and disc golfers of all skill level in the Des Moines area. They have a pretty big presents on FB and I'm sure you could find someone to play a few rounds with.

Nice! I just started playing myself. We have tons of courses around here! Just discovered this site and app. Played three times now and looking forward to many more!

Hello all,

I recently moved close to Des Moines and was looking for a fun way to get some exercise. My first thought was disc golf, so I did a quick search and was happily surprised to find out there is actually a course right here in town. :D

Anyway, if you made it through my novel of an introductory post, I thank you for reading. I plan to read and learn as much as I can about the sport, as well as get out and throw discs as much as possible. It may be the excitement of a new hobby or whatever, but I find myself hooked already! :)

Hey, welcome to Des Moines! There are actually several good courses within the area, and most within a fairly short drive regardless of what side of town you're on. You can find on the course search forum on this site - feel free to pm me if you ever want a recommendation or have any questions on the courses or anything.

I hear you on getting hooked. I've been playing regularly for about a year now and it's kind weird how I just sort of got addicted one day and haven't looked back.

Have fun

Latest posts