• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy with questions.

cotharyus

Hello folks. I've been playing for about 2 weeks now, I started on advice from a friend that throwing could help with a shoulder problem I was having, and so far, so good. I watched a bunch of videos about proper driving technique and putting technique, but I still have some unanswered questions.

Most of the driving videos I watched were pretty consistent in major points of advice, and I've settled on a grip, feel like I have a solid stance for a standing (no run-up) throw. Messing around in my back yard, I can stand in one corner, and throw a putter at a tree that's in a neighbor's yard and get 170-190 feet pretty consistently with reasonable accuracy (which is to say, no really wild throws). One thing I couldn't find much information on was run ups. I saw a lot of advice about just getting a standing shot down before working on a run up. So I guess my first question is, does it sound like I have a standing shot down pretty well? And if so, does anyone have any advice on run ups? Is the best way to decide how many steps you want to take, assume your throwing stance, then work backwards through that many steps, then reverse for your run up? (I thought that up myself, by the way - but I'm not sure what good run up technique is, so I could be way, way off base and don't want to develop bad habits)

Second, I've joined a local DG group on facebook. These guys seem pretty active, but they seem to like to play for money or discs or ....bag tag? I don't know what that is. Is playing for money pretty common? I've basically got no interest in it. Is there a thread around here (I've looked a little) that breaks down common game types like...bag tag?

Third - I see a lot of courses here on DGCR and other places listed as private. What I don't see on most of them is any sort of contact information or web sites, yet they are marked on a map, have pictures, and in some cases very nice course maps. Are these private like country club courses are private (membership required) or private like on private land and open for tournaments and such, or pay-per play....or does it vary by course, and if so, how does a person go about finding out which type of private course one is if there's no information available anywhere?

Forth - throwing when it's cold. How do you deal with it? Gloves? Hand in pocket except when throwing? If you use gloves, which ones, and how much getting used to throwing with gloves on does it take?

And finally, what you all knew was coming, a disc question. I'm curious, because many videos made a lot of "seasoned" discs and how they change. But, that's about all they said about it. Seasoning changes discs. So, how does it change them? I bought new discs, what can I expect from them over time? Also, some of my discs (putters) feel less sticky when it's cold outside. Is that pretty common? Having not thrown in warm weather, will they be stickier when it's just plain hot out?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a new guy.

cotharyus said:
Third - I see a lot of courses here on DGCR and other places listed as private. What I don't see on most of them is any sort of contact information or web sites, yet they are marked on a map, have pictures, and in some cases very nice course maps. Are these private like country club courses are private (membership required) or private like on private land and open for tournaments and such, or pay-per play....or does it vary by course, and if so, how does a person go about finding out which type of private course one is if there's no information available anywhere?

Usually the private courses will mention if you need to contact someone for permission. You can also read through the reviews and see what ppl who have played them say about it. Some are contact first only... some are donation to play... some are just available to play whenever.

Private courses are pretty great... these are taken care of by the property owner, a local Disc Golf club, or something like this... park courses are on public land. Some private courses are truly businesses... in that the owner(s) are looking to profit from it... some are just someone who had the land, likes disc golf, and so put two and two together... voile

Last edited:
Forth - throwing when it's cold. How do you deal with it? Gloves? Hand in pocket except when throwing? If you use gloves, which ones, and how much getting used to throwing with gloves on does it take?

Yes... also hand warmers such as the Hot Hands things...

gloves... yes, any glove that you have and like... I've seen ppl use thick gloves down to simply inserts... whatever works for you

Second, I've joined a local DG group on facebook. These guys seem pretty active, but they seem to like to play for money or discs or ....bag tag? I don't know what that is. Is playing for money pretty common? I've basically got no interest in it. Is there a thread around here (I've looked a little) that breaks down common game types like...bag tag?

lots of ppl play for some ca$h... usually a few bucks or so.
You don't have to if you don't want to, but if playing in a league it is pretty common to play for a few bucks. There is also a tradition of putting in a few bucks for anyone who gets an ace. Not everyone does that, but it is common. Even when just playing for fun with your buddies, lots of folks have an unspoken rule that if anyone aces, they get a buck or something like that.

If you don't want to play for money, then playing in a league is probably out (check with your local leagues on how they do)... casual (your buddies) rounds are whatever you guys agree to...

Most of the driving videos I watched were pretty consistent in major points of advice, and I've settled on a grip, feel like I have a solid stance for a standing (no run-up) throw. Messing around in my back yard, I can stand in one corner, and throw a putter at a tree that's in a neighbor's yard and get 170-190 feet pretty consistently with reasonable accuracy (which is to say, no really wild throws). One thing I couldn't find much information on was run ups. I saw a lot of advice about just getting a standing shot down before working on a run up. So I guess my first question is, does it sound like I have a standing shot down pretty well? And if so, does anyone have any advice on run ups? Is the best way to decide how many steps you want to take, assume your throwing stance, then work backwards through that many steps, then reverse for your run up? (I thought that up myself, by the way - but I'm not sure what good run up technique is, so I could be way, way off base and don't want to develop bad habits)

Probably good to start with standstill. And you'd help us a little with some more information, especially past injuries or general athletic ability. If you have some shoulder issues, that might be good for us to know and some of the folks on here have experienced similar issues.

To be honest, I see guys all the time who have the weirdest looking run-ups. Sometimes, they throw better than I do, but I think they could improve a lot. Other times, it's obviously not a good rhythm. You'll want to get an X-step down eventually, where your back foot (left, if throwing RHBH) slides behind your front one. That allows you to shift momentum forward while properly rotating your hips and upper body. When it's done right, it's pretty fluid/smooth, and done fast enough that you can't really feel each individual movement. I'm not sure how to help beyond that, but if you go in the form analysis section, you can post a video and others will be able to help in your particular case. Here is a thread from sidewinder22 in that forum, with some tips for filming form. He's probably the main form guru around here and is very helpful.

I'm with you. I've only played one local "mini-tournament" where I paid a small entry fee. Of course I didn't win anything, but it was worth it to play with some players that were better than me and to play a "competitive" instead of casual round. A lot of times when you play casual rounds, however, you can meet some of these guys just by being friendly and social. Sometimes you'll meet up with a guy that can throw a 400' standstill bomb or obviously has very smooth/consistent form. Take advantage of those opportunities to learn from those guys. Find out what discs they're throwing, what tips they might have, etc. Just realize they might not want to talk the whole time they're with you, so ask some questions but be ready to back off if they're not welcome.

Like noillgolf said, it varies. Usually I can find that information on DGCR, but sometimes it's vague. There's a course near me on a private Christian university. I haven't played it yet, but I get the impression it's available for anyone to play. However, it's marked as private to help remind disc golfers that they should be particularly considerate while playing there. I've also played a cool course on someone's private residence that I found on DGCR. There was a contact phone number and they guy was awesome and had a great course.

I'm generally in the "hand in pocket" category. But I'm also from a warmer climate.

And finally, what you all knew was coming, a disc question. I'm curious, because many videos made a lot of "seasoned" discs and how they change. But, that's about all they said about it. Seasoning changes discs. So, how does it change them? I bought new discs, what can I expect from them over time? Also, some of my discs (putters) feel less sticky when it's cold outside. Is that pretty common? Having not thrown in warm weather, will they be stickier when it's just plain hot out?

In general, discs become less "overstable" or more "understable" as they're used (i.e. hit stuff). You probably already know about the early "turn" phase of flight (to the right if throwing RHBH) and then the late "fade." Basically, as they get used it's easier to get that turn, and there tends to be less fade. Premium plastics like Discraft's Elite Z or Innova's Champion, as well as Discraft's ESP or Innova's Star, tend to take longer to wear in than the companies' baseline plastics, such as Pro D or DX.

As far as putter stickiness, that's quite common. Some players use completely different discs (in grippier plastics) during the colder months. When it's really hot outside, some of the super grippy plastics can almost melt. In other words, don't throw away the discs that aren't grippy enough right now. They'll feel nice in a few months.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the site and to the game of disc golf. Enjoy!

Hey, welcome!

Keep working on standstill throw but also watch some videos and try to incorporate xstep. I also do a one step throw a lot, especially for long upshots, short teeboxes, etc. I don't know that there are tons of videos that focus on the xstep alone. It's mostly about watching a ton of video and trying to emulate what the pros are doing wrt weight shift, reach/turn back, width of steps, body position, etc. I'm certain the form gurus (which, sadly, does not include me) here will weigh in with some helpful stuff, too. This board helped me a ton early on and is still helping figure things out.

Some private courses list a number for you to call to schedule a round. I played one here in my area a few months ago. Great course and the owner was super nice. I just left a donation in the box at #1 tee to help him with upkeep/maintenance. The DG group you joined has probably played some of the private courses in your area and would be a great source of info.

Buy chemical handwarmers and keep them in your pockets. The "Little Hotties" brand work well. I also wear a glove on my non-throwing hand.

Most plastic is less grippy in cold weather plus your hands are dryer generally which, though it may seem counter-intuitive, seems to make the disc more slippery. Some plastic blends are made specifically for winter play; one example is the aptly-named Frost plastic from Latitude 64. It's their Opto line basically but with enhanced grip and is a bit more flexible. Lat 64 makes some great discs, if you are interested.

Have fun, ask questions, contribute to the conversation. This is easily the best resource for DG that I have found on the web!

The only thing I have to add to any of the above info is that if we knew what discs you were talking about seasoning we would be able to tell you what to expect. As a general rule discs that have a 0 turn rating usually lose LSS (fade) before HSS (turn). Discs with a negative turn rating usually lose both HSS and LSS which would mean a disc with a turn and fade rating of -2, 1 would probably season into something like -3, 0.

plastic type has a lot to do with it too... base plastics will tend to season much faster than premium plastics

it's been discussed ad infinitum around here...

popular discs to be seasoned... Rocs... that's all I remember :|

I'm practically as new as you are so everything I write should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Still cold up here in Sweden so I bought a couple of gstar discs, love them but are curious how they will behave during our 2 month summer... :)

The X step (3 step run up, middle one being the x) felt fairly easy to learn, the trick being to time your throw with your heel planting on the last step. Step, x-step/turn almost away from target with hips while reaching back with the disc, step front foot again while carefully accelerating your throw, move your weight to the front leg and when it's fully planted you throw.
Advices I picked up and think is very important for your shoulder is to get a good follow through, don't stop that arm, spin on your heel and let the arm go around. I already have a sore shoulder from practicing driving but not focusing on follow through.

As for discs, understable (-1 to - 3 turn) works themselves into nice glide. I already really like my balanced discs however Vroc, Tl3 and nova.

Hope you get as hooked as I did. :D

BTW, don't put too much into the x-step in the beginning. Just do a careful short run up to learn the timing and turning. This short version I still use for ambitious mid range throws.

To add regarding early disc choices is the fact that you should think of the speed of the disc as difficulty as much as speed (high speed needs fast throw to fly as intended). With this I wanted to point out that you might be doing well with an overstable slow disc almost instantly but probably will want to stay away from drivers that isn't understable for a while. Mid range discs fall in between the two.

I started with an Aviar and an Roc3. The Roc3 was useless before I got quite some spin and speed in my throws. I still have better results with the Stingray I bought for my girlfriend... :)

Also when you get some speed worked in I find it easier to get a straight flight with and understable disc by throwing with a hyzer angle rather than anhyzer a overstable disc.

Thanks for the responses folks, all very helpful.

Regarding the shoulder injury, for what it's worth, a friend of mine who is a physical therapist and fairly familiar with my health and activities advised me that a new pain was likely due to specific over/under use issues with particular muscles, and that throwing a disc would likely sure up the underused side of the equation against my other activities/work (mountain biking, trail building) in a way that would be beneficial and without putting my in a gym, which he knows I'd hate and slack on, because I'd rather be outside somewhere.

Disc wise, I seem to be running against the grain some, but I found a bunch of Discraft discs on sale (for example, Surge ESP for $4) at my local Academy and picked up the 7 they looked to be blowing out, two putters a Buzz X and 4 drivers. I've been pondering buying some extra putters to practice putting, as that does seem to be the weakest part of my game, but I'm not sure I'll get that serious about this. Of course, it's an excellent opportunity for me to be outside on days when it's too muddy to mountain bike, so there's no telling.

Discs:
Challenger X-soft
Magnet Pro-D
Buzz X
Avenger SS X
Cyclone Pro-D
Heat X
Surge ESP

I think $7 was the most I paid for any of them, and so far the only disc that really gives me trouble is the Cyclone, it has a bead on it, while the rest have a flat lower edge that seems easier to get a clean release on.

Thanks for all the answers! Glad to be part of what looks like a great community here.

I don't care who ya are. An ESP Surge for $4 is a deal. I don't know that your discs are "against the grain," but Discraft simply isn't winning the popularity battle right now. That probably makes me like them more.

Those aren't bad discs for a beginner, for sure. If you're not looking to buy more for now, you probably don't need to. I bought a bunch of extra putters myself, and I'm not sure it helped all that much. Just get out and practice/play, and enjoy!

Latest posts