• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice for new caddy

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
I'll be caddying for the first time at the Dynamic Discs Open in the MPO field this year. I've never caddied before. Any advice or information on etiquette would be more than appreciated.
Question? Am i allowed and is it normal to use a disc golf cart or do mostly everyone just bags? My plan is to be quiet, use my range finder and bring plenty of water for my friend, and to stay in the background unless he needs me.

I would certainly have a conversation with your friend, as to what their expectation of your role should be. You could be carrying a bag or pulling a cart.

My wife caddied for me at Masters Worlds this year and was a 1000 rated caddy. She would get to each hole and be ready at the tee sign. She would give me water [it was HOT] and provide me any information on the hole, that we had acquired via practice rounds. ie....past the fallen tree was your landing zone here, the approach to the pin was way more open on the right, steep fall off on the left. She would also make sure she pointed out any OB on the tee sign. She offered snacks...frozen grapes were OUTSTANDING on the hot days. She stuck pretty close, so she was able to spin and offer a disc once I arrived at my lie. She had a towel for drying off and my sports sack ready all the time. I don't really use distances, so a rangefinder would not have been helpful. She occasionally spotted for the card. Between shots, we would chat...lighthearted. Of course, it is a bit easier for us, we play together a lot and she has a real feel for what I do and how I play.

Be sure to stay back from everyone's shot. Keep quiet, as to not disturb the card. If you are super outgoing, caddying is a tough gig. You really kind of have to stay in the background.

Give other players lots of space. When you drop the cart/bag before the hole starts, make sure your plenty of distance away from the teepad.

I would certainly have a conversation with your friend, as to what their expectation of your role should be. You could be carrying a bag or pulling a cart.

My wife caddied for me at Masters Worlds this year and was a 1000 rated caddy. She would get to each hole and be ready at the tee sign. She would give me water [it was HOT] and provide me any information on the hole, that we had acquired via practice rounds. ie....past the fallen tree was your landing zone here, the approach to the pin was way more open on the right, steep fall off on the left. She would also make sure she pointed out any OB on the tee sign. She offered snacks...frozen grapes were OUTSTANDING on the hot days. She stuck pretty close, so she was able to spin and offer a disc once I arrived at my lie. She had a towel for drying off and my sports sack ready all the time. I don't really use distances, so a rangefinder would not have been helpful. She occasionally spotted for the card. Between shots, we would chat...lighthearted. Of course, it is a bit easier for us, we play together a lot and she has a real feel for what I do and how I play.

Be sure to stay back from everyone's shot. Keep quiet, as to not disturb the card. If you are super outgoing, caddying is a tough gig. You really kind of have to stay in the background.

That sure beats my caddy. She just complains a lot, I guess rightfully so. 🤣

Download and read the Competition Manual, particularly Section 3: Player Code of Conduct.

Remember that caddies are subject to all the rules and regulations set out in the rulebook and the Competition Manual, and that infractions by caddies are charged to the player they're caddieing for.

CnB3yPqXYAAvDlJ.jpg:large

At DGPT events, caddies have been dismissed before the round because they were not following the dress code. Make sure you read the new section 4 in the Competition Manual if you are caddying at a DGPT event.