• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] New Putter Prototype (Chief)

My Chief turns more and fades more than my Shaman. I was told that the Chief would be significantly more overstable in premium plastic, but as it is, I wouldn't really call it overstable at all. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Chief, but I really enjoy the Shaman.

Yeah they're really kinda odd discs. Shaman is such a straight flyer, whereas the chief is kinda eagle like if that makes any sense for a putter...

After giving them both a good trial, I'm leaning towards keeping a chief around for low ceiling approaches where the wiz doesn't quite have enough legs.

Any thoughts on using these as an outside the circle putter? I love my wizards but that extra speed seems like it could be helpful when 50'+ out.

Would this disc be a good replacement for my Rhyno/Pig slot ? It would be nice to lose the overlap and carry less putters. I also carry a Wizzard/Voodoo for pure putting and might keep the Nova also. So it would be nice free up a spot.

Would this disc be a good replacement for my Rhyno/Pig slot ? It would be nice to lose the overlap and carry less putters. I also carry a Wizzard/Voodoo for pure putting and might keep the Nova also. So it would be nice free up a spot.

Not even close. I too thought the chief would fill that slot but it is much closer to wizard stability than a pig. If you're wanting to consolodate molds I would lose the voodoo & nova. Beat up a wizard or buy a used one. I carry 3 wizards (2 drivers & 1 putter) & now a SP Breaker. Really a nice one-two punch. The chief is faster, straighter and less reliable than a wizard even. I would roll rhyno/wiz and you should be set.

Just got two of these from Phantom Discs in the mail today. Both are SS, one is lime green with a flag stamp the other is off white with a black and flag double stamp. The green feels a little stiffer.

Haven't thrown them yet (will do so later) but these feel great in the hand. Board flat, very shallow with a sizeable bead. Very eager to try these out. Hope they come out in HPP....

Got to feel a Chief a while back, very unique disc for sure. I thought it was a bit too shallow for a good BH grip but I could see these being a deadly FH flick putter. Definitely not as OS as advertised though...

Just got two of these from Phantom Discs in the mail today. Both are SS, one is lime green with a flag stamp the other is off white with a black and flag double stamp. The green feels a little stiffer.

Haven't thrown them yet (will do so later) but these feel great in the hand. Board flat, very shallow with a sizeable bead. Very eager to try these out. Hope they come out in HPP....

They're already out in evo. I have some if you'd like to try them. They all domed up though.

Just did some serious practice putting with a pair of cheifs. Love them. They are a lower flying and farther flying low profile wizard in my opinion. For me they go a bit farther before fading out. Might just kick out my wizards.....shhhh.

I plan to make a review video as part of Hucking Aces' Putter Week. We'll also be giving away TWO Chiefs.

I really like this disc. I hope they can figure out how to get this flat in Evo. Would make an amazing driving putter. It's quite a bit longer than a Wizard, though Wizards can straight bomb in the right hands (not mine). Anyone looking for a good driving putter should try the Chief. I'm eager to try the Shaman as well.

As promised, here's a link to my review video of the Chief. Hucking Aces is giving away TWO Chiefs at the end of the week, so if you like this disc that would be something to check out (link to the Hucking Aces page is in my sig)

Hucking Aces Chief Review

I got 2 chiefs and a shaman in the mail today. Wow! They are both great discs. I thought I'd prefer the chief for driving but the shaman is really nice. Both are fast putters and release really smooth. Didn't really do any putting with them but really like them for throwing and driving. The shaman is a hyzer flipper right out of the box and glides out for huge turnover drives. They work for me. Now need to get some more

I do, my primary putter. What you wanna know?

-Do you have any problems going too long past the basket if you miss your putt?

- How well can you range it?

-How long does it stay straight before fading out?

-What other shallow putters would you compare it to? What makes it better than those putters?

-Why do you like it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
-Do you have any problems going too long past the basket if you miss your putt?

- How well can you range it?

-How long does it stay straight before fading out?

-What other shallow putters would you compare it to? What makes it better than those putters?

-Why do you like it?

Thanks!
Caveats to start. I've been putting with chiefs for years now, specifically because I like the shallow feel of them in my relatively small hands. This has limited my experimentation with other putters specifically for putting for a long time. I also rarely use a chief for driving or upshots. Gateway putting plastic beats up too fast for my preference, and I never gelled with the disc in the diamond/hyper diamond plastics. So take this all with a few grains of salt.

I dont feel that it has a serious problem going past the basket, which I think will be explained more as I move along.

I dont feel like I have much trouble ranging chiefs, but I don't have a lot of references at this point because it's been so long since I used any other disc as my primary putter. I'd also be lying if I told you I'm a world class putter, there's another grain of salt.

On a spin putt straight line I feel it'll stay straight before starting to hyzer at maybe 20 feet, maybe a bit more if I put a little leg into it. Once it starts to hyzer it tends to head to the ground pretty quick. It's a fast putter, but not necessarily floaty/glidey. The bead slows it down near end flight.

Before chiefs I tried aviars, wizards, wardens, pures, ions, some others. Not necessarily in that order though, it seems like I started gravitating towards shallower putters and just kept getting shallower. Other very shallow putters that I like but not as much include shamans (beadless chiefs) and mirages, which are beaded like chiefs but glidier and more understable. Both have presented the same problem for me, in that they WILL go past the basket a good deal further, giving me a potentially tricky put back. I still bag a star mirage though and will use it to putt when I feel the range is just a bit too far for my chief.

Depends on putting style. It would take a pretty firm spin putt for the added speed of a chief to go much further past than anything else. They don't have exceptional glide at lower speeds and are stable enough to not carry flat past the basket.
IMO putting a chief isn't much different than putting a proxy, reko or voodoo. Just a touch shallower.
I have messed with putting them in the past. They are amazing wind putters. I need something with a touch more glide and/or less stability for putting at elevation.

Depends on putting style. It would take a pretty firm spin putt for the added speed of a chief to go much further past than anything else. They don't have exceptional glide at lower speeds and are stable enough to not carry flat past the basket.
IMO putting a chief isn't much different than putting a proxy, reko or voodoo. Just a touch shallower.
I have messed with putting them in the past. They are amazing wind putters. I need something with a touch more glide and/or less stability for putting at elevation.
Ime, the shallowness shows up most on (windy) pitch putts. Deeper putters seem to catch the air differently

Found a used sure-grip Chief in the used bin at the local DG shop. Love it! Used it as an off-tee or flick approach shot. If I throw it with some power it will turn some and come back. The first time I saw it do this I was shocked. Going off the numbers I think it shouldn't do this. Due to the heat this summer, I ordered a Dimoned Chief and it works just as well as the other one. My only complaint is the underside is slick. I pull it out more than my Nexus Ryhno lately for a longer approach (Better glide) Almost had a 150' throw-in yesterday. Banged it off the band.

Last edited:
Found a used sure-grip Chief in the used bin at the local DG shop. Love it! Used it as an off-tee or flick approach shot. If I throw it with some power it will turn some and come back. The first time I saw it do this I was shocked. Going off the numbers I think it shouldn't do this. Due to the heat this summer, I ordered a Dimoned Chief and it works just as well as the other one. My only complaint is the underside is slick. I pull it out more than my Nexus Ryhno lately for a longer approach (Better glide) Almost had a 150' throw-in yesterday. Banged it off the band.
Do you like the Chief for putting?

Latest posts