• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the game

If you look close in the bag you can see a newly added elbow brace...I hurt something yesterday

Oh boy...

When you first start out, I will say that you can expect a little soreness. Especially if you're trying to chuck them as hard as you can, which we all probably did when we first started. Your using muscles in a different way than your bodu is used to, so expect a little tightness.

I'd also recommend looking at some of the youtube videos that show how to throw distance drives. Using better technique means you can get great distance without using as much effort and without putting so much strain on joints and muscles. :thmbup: I watched a few videos of long drive instruction and have been able to get a great improvement in my distance and im "arming" the disc alot less. (Using the whole body instead of mainly your arm to throw).

Will do...the course is on my way home and I considered stopping off today but am thinking maybe a days rest and a few Youtube videos and then go fling a few tomorrow

This website is pretty damn cool...very informative...glad it exists...

Most players that don't start off that way eventually end up going that route at a later date, only with bad habits and incorrect muscle memory from throwing faster discs that they have deal with.

This. Holy crap am I trying to un-remember how I threw high speed discs. It has taken me a bit of money and adventuring into the world of mids and fairways (which, to a new player, aren't as sexy as being able to go out and bomb), but it is so worth it. You'll be shocked at how good it feels to see your distance increasing with slower speed discs.

Also, don't be afraid to go out on a course and ask people for advice. The guys in the local club around me have been a great resource in helping me improve.

Good luck!

I think the biggest misconception about dg is that you need a distance driver to throw far. Good form will allow you to throw your putters as far as most people with average or poor form can throw their drivers.

I played with Mashnut (moderator on this forum) this weekend and he was bombing a Zeppelin (putter) father than I was getting my drivers on a lot of holes. :eek: :eek:

That's because his form is smooth and clean. He doesn't need to put a lot of arm strength into it, he just knows the exact time and place to put "snap" on the disc. Hardly looks like he's throwing at all. :thmbup:

That's what you want to try and achieve. Typically if you're throwing super hard (arm-wise), you're doing something wrong. ;)

I also would definitely warn against strong-arming. I just started 6 months ago, and wish i knew about this site before i had thrown 5 rounds and trashed my elbow. I had a big driver, no form or follow-through and tried to muscle everything. Fortunately, with a little rest, Advil, Ice and this forum, i have stuck mostly to everything under Speed 9 (Valk is my fastest disc). I love the Star Mako, Cheetah and Leopard and i'm learning to get them to do my bidding. Be patience, have fun and welcome to the sport!

That's a nice starter set! Leopard was the first disc I was given, it's still one of my most used drivers. I might leave the Valkyrie at home until you get the hang of the Leopard. You won't be able to throw the faster discs as far as the mids when you first start (they just magnify errors it seems), so the Valk might frustrate you more than anything. I don't think I've heard anybody bad mouth a Leopard, it's easy to throw like a mid, but it is longer.

That's a nice starter set! Leopard was the first disc I was given, it's still one of my most used drivers. I might leave the Valkyrie at home until you get the hang of the Leopard. You won't be able to throw the faster discs as far as the mids when you first start (they just magnify errors it seems), so the Valk might frustrate you more than anything. I don't think I've heard anybody bad mouth a Leopard, it's easy to throw like a mid, but it is longer.

Thank You

Latest posts