• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New World Record (again) Disc Golf holes in 24 hours--1305

djschnabel

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
http://redrockonair.com/news/topstories/2011/06/29/schnabel-suprasses-previous-disk-golf-record/

I went and played this course Tuesday and Wednesday, I had great caddies, volunteers, supporters, etc, and almost perfect weather. 75 on Tuesday, no wind at all, 83-85 Wednesday but the wind picked up to almost 20 MPH I'd say. Course averages about 195 feet per hole, and the distance to play a complete round is .45 miles, meaning I walked 65.25 miles.

I passed 1035 (our old mark) just inside of 18 hours, I passed Tim's 1201 with about 2:45 to go. I almost quit when got to 1214 (finished the round to break the record, plus one more), but I wanted to play as long as I could. With about 2:30 hours to go, after that break, I played 10 more rounds, still playing a round in about 11-13 minutes average. The wind was HOWLING by this point, and 15 foot putts became 25 footers quit regularly. I just started shooting at the base of the basket after I shot a round of 3 over, and then it wasn't so bad.

I finished at 1305, which is just under 55 holes played per hour (54.375). I played 81 the first two hours, then 72 the next couple, and once the six hour mark came, I was still playing 7-8 rounds an hour.

I ended up with three aces (third, fourth, and fifth in my career), and I was about 624 under par, with 4-5 rounds at 8 under.

I was able to get support from my friends at GGGT, I had friends and family as caddies, the locals in Pine City were awesome too. They seemed almost more excited about the event than I was! Rob, the course designer, was there for 13 hours of the event. He was cheering me on, he shared the news of my event with others, and he picked people out of the crowd to help caddy for me. He is the guy who is out on his course day in, day out, picking up sticks, garbage, primping foliage, sharing his wealth (29 years) of knowledge with others, and spreading the joy of disc golf in this small community. I was very overwhelmed by the local support, it was absolutely remarkable.

Wow!
Congratulations!

*My quaint southern paternal voice* Now go home and get some well deserved rest.

the iron man of disc golf.. congratulations. i'm glad your hard work payed off.

of course you realize before long the blood doping accusations will rise and lance armstrong will give you a call in support.

Every time this record is broken it is even more impressive. It takes some real fitness and dedication to do it. If you haven't done one before, I am pretty sure you qualify as an Ultramarathoner now! I hope you recover quickly from any aches and pains. ;)

*Awaiting nasty picture of his feet after the round*

:popcorn:

Great work, I love seeing people go for this record, it's been pretty amazing to watch all the attempts over the last year or so.

Wow, I needed a nap after playing Eastway and Renny this past weekend. If I were to ever attempt a record it would have to be sometime in October or November :D.

Great job and grats on the record, and the aces :D. You should put every round in your scorebook on here :D.

Congrats Dan!

Kind of funny how this record stood for so many years and now it's been broken numerous times in the last two years.

After my 14 round, 252 hole, 12 1/2 hour, 15.4 miles of throwing distance, 22 miles of walking marathon a couple of weeks ago, I don't think I could possibly do anything approaching this. Funny thing is, I can do 3-4 rounds like its nothing now.

Dan,

CONGRATULATIONS! You are THE Iron Man of Disc golf! Totally awesome that you broke 1300! I'm in awe that you've broken this record twice. I know how much planning, motivation, and endurance this took. The course that you played looks (almost) ideal for this record. But you were really cooking to do that many holes on a course that averages 195 ft/hole.

I've updated the World records so that you're back at Number 1!

A hearty "Well done sir!"

Lowe

P.S.-The news coverage was great. But I have a question-- in the "Ongoing World Record Attempt Happening In Pine City" video it looked like you had to walk ~200 ft to get to a next tee. Is that really the case? If so, that's like adding 1 more hole of walking per round, and that makes your record even more remarkable!

Dan,

CONGRATULATIONS! You are THE Iron Man of Disc golf! Totally awesome that you broke 1300! I'm in awe that you've broken this record twice. I know how much planning, motivation, and endurance this took. The course that you played looks (almost) ideal for this record. But you were really cooking to do that many holes on a course that averages 195 ft/hole.

I've updated the World records so that you're back at Number 1!

A hearty "Well done sir!"

Lowe

P.S.-The news coverage was great. But I have a question-- in the "Ongoing World Record Attempt Happening In Pine City" video it looked like you had to walk ~200 ft to get to a next tee. Is that really the case? If so, that's like adding 1 more hole of walking per round, and that makes your record even more remarkable!

Yes, after hole 9, you walk about 250 feet back towards hole # 1. I asked Guinness if I could play hole 3 again, which is in line with the walk from 9's basket to #1's teebox, but they said no. I figure the distance of this course is .45 miles, based on a slight reduction from my brother-in-laws GPS measurement. That puts the total walking at 65.25 miles, about 2.5 marathons.

I feel 'better' after this one, but that's mostly due to not having 3-4 inches of rain at the beginning. My arm and back started to hurt towards the end, because I only used putters (D Challengers). Hole number 5 and 8 are 201 and 238, and it was painful to drive on these holes the last 10 rounds or so. Legs hurt more, feet (blisters) hurt less.

Latest posts