• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie disc weight question!

When you are developing your form and throwing discs above your skill level, you end up actually hurting your form as you spend more time trying to force the disc to do what you want it to do vs throwing discs that will naturally do that matched to your skill level.
So, I don't try to force discs to do what I want at all. I do field practice, throw the best I can, and find the discs that work best for me. I bag the ones that fly the best - far, straight/accurate, consistent. I work on form all of the time, and as I improve, I go to the practice field, throw everything, and see if there is anything I already own that my improving form allows me to do better with. IDK completely and exactly why, and so many people here try to tell me I need to disc down, throw only max weight discs, etc., but I know FOR ME, the 145-150g distance bombers go further, and are fairly straight, with some S curve to them. I still can't throw mids worth a damn - they go left, right, crash into the ground or up into the sky. Putters - I throw with fan grip only - with power grip, they fly same as mids. On the up side, I keep improving - getting my form a little better, and adding a little distance here and a little there. Just today, jumped my max distance up on multiple holes at my regular course - I will get into details in another post here.

Last edited:
Discing down is solid advice. I don't like the Max weight suggestions though. You get better feedback with light discs, and most people get more fun results. I think a light disc that you can flip and one you can't are essential to start with. I play all woods golf with minimal wind.

Now the max weight in your speed class was a neat suggestion I haven't heard before. I like it. I guess I'm a 7 not a 3 dressed up as a 9. (Insert song)

Just keep doing what you're doin Chris, you are at the best stage in your disc golf career, constant gains. Enjoy and throw what you want. Trying to crack 300' is fun. Personally I enjoyed this thread

I am sure I throw mostly arm and very little body - 5 months playing, making somewhat small steady gains. I just rewatched some videos last night, and have two tips I am anxious to try out for that very reason - try to get more from my body into my throw! My battle to improve my form/technique is always ongoing! The two tips: one, on reach back, focus instead on my left shoulder, to get better curl and try to keep my right (throwing) arm more relaxed. I did that once a long time ago, and it seemed to help, but it didn't stick. Two, on the last step of my x-step, slide my plant foot forward (no lift), and keep my weight more over my back foot longer. Come on, give me some improvement! On the light weight discs, I also find Fission Wave, Katana and Corvette do well for me.
So, I tried out these tips spending an hour at a practice field throwing drivers yesterday. Not much happened. But, then today I played 3 rounds at my local favorite 9 hole course, and suddenly I found gains! On the reach back, instead of focusing on my reach back and my right shoulder, I just let that happen, and focused on my left shoulder, almost winding it up as far as I could comfortably, and I could tell I was getting more body rotation/spin on my throws! I could also tell it transferred some gains to my discs. I was maxing at 265', with decent throws regularly at maybe 225-250'. Playing rounds, so I don't have a new measured max, but guessing I was hitting my old 265' max on most decent throws, and maybe extended my max to 285'? I had personal distance bests on multiple holes, overshot short holes with the same disc I was just barely reaching them with before, and as the rounds progressed, I started using a little less disc on the shorter holes. Oh, that was fun, and I can't wait to play again!

Just keep doing what you're doin Chris, you are at the best stage in your disc golf career, constant gains. Enjoy and throw what you want. Trying to crack 300' is fun. Personally I enjoyed this thread
Thanks Envy! Yeah, making gains is definitely the most fun! Not long ago it felt like 300' was nearly impossible, but now it seems like just a matter of time and a bit more work! Exciting!

I have a used Champion Sidewinder that crashes early left every time on me (RHBH). It is supposed to be understable! I try it every time I improve some - so far still always hard crash early. I figured it is a fluke - most of my understable stuff is opposite of that - I have to try to keep them from turning right and flipping over on me, or fight to find and consistently hit the correct amount of hyzer release angle.
Typically. Champion plastic is just going to be more overstable. And/or true to what the flight numbers suggest it will do with that 9 speed getting thrown correctly. What weight is it that you are throwing? Go lighter than that. 5 - 10 grams lighter.
Personally, I have very few champion plastic discs above speed 7. Big reveal here is the ones I use are firebirds, and an orc. For me. They are useful in their being the overstable approach disc my actual 4 - 5 speed approach disc is not, most of the time. They finish. The others typically go over. Other than that. They are a go left on a hyzer in the 220-260 with some skip on the finish disc. And the when I need a disc to tombstone. I do keep them around, because when they work. They make my putting that much easier.

it's weird but 5 and 6 speed understable discs just don't work for me no matter how much I try. 7 speed and above...understable is the main way to go. I really, really want my MVP Uplink (5/5/-3/0.5) and/or Axiom Paradox (5/4/-4/0) to work for me, but so far - no go. And there are times when I could really use their understability.

The slower discs really make you focus down to control them. I was struggling a bit with the fairways for a while because I was scared of them. Now its just spin and pop. I still gotta focus on not over powering them, but my power control is changing a lot. But for the most part its making sure to get good spin on them so they don't burn. and they punish you WAY harder for off axis torque throws.

As for paradox.....

As far as discs go the Paradox is goofy but I know a guy that throws it well, I like my uplink but a 155 reactor has been a little more forgiving.

I can do some crazy stuff with a paradox. People get so confused when I throw 250 foot spike hyzers with it.... It's a huge spin control thing though. The paradox is honestly just crazy when it comes to being a flippy mid. The vertex was pretty nuts, but they were like "lets turn the vertex up to 11" but then completly destroyed the Theory.
The uplink is good, but I think the theory was better and easier for people to manage. You really have to commit to the uplink over the theory which was a bit more forgiving on helping you.
I run the lobster for that slot.

But again, the key to a lot of this is spin control. Same with a lot of these light weight discs. Gotta get them ripums in there. And that lighter disc is going to allow you to really get more spin on the disc easier. Moment of inertia science stuff.

You make me want to try a Photon!

They are great, but its one of MVP's more devious flyers in run to run flights.
The ones were all bragging about are really hard to obtain, and when you do see them up for grabs its in the 50-100 dollar range. Otherwise the newer ones are nowhere close to the numbers, but still good fliers. Just gotta know you're getting a meathook that flies good.

So, I don't try to force discs to do what I want at all. I do field practice, throw the best I can, and find the discs that work best for me. I bag the ones that fly the best - far, straight/accurate, consistent. I work on form all of the time, and as I improve, I go to the practice field, throw everything, and see if there is anything I already own that my improving form allows me to do better with. IDK completely and exactly why, and so many people here try to tell me I need to disc down, throw only max weight discs, etc., but I know FOR ME, the 145-150g distance bombers go further, and are fairly straight, with some S curve to them. I still can't throw mids worth a damn - they go left, right, crash into the ground or up into the sky. Putters - I throw with fan grip only - with power grip, they fly same as mids. On the up side, I keep improving - getting my form a little better, and adding a little distance here and a little there. Just today, jumped my max distance up on multiple holes at my regular course - I will get into details in another post here.

I think you kind of missed my main point of that. But I do write a lot, so sometimes it's hard to grab it all. And take this with however many grains of salt you want.
If you're trying to throw a disc designed for 400+ feet, and you're only getting 280 feet from them on a good rip, you're forcing the disc flight. You actually hurt your form progression trying to punch up to hard when it comes to disc speeds. Instead of 11 to 13s, you should probably be throwing 8/9 speeds. Especially if you're only throwing those big discs 250-280.
You are actively working on improving and asking good questions. And were actively trying to give good answers in return to help you get there easier.

This is really where its at. If you're enjoying what you're doing, keep doing it. It's what I always advocate even if it drives me nuts. Because enjoyment is the key to success. But, it's important to remember that when you're asking for help, and people help, and you kinda say "well, yeah, I'm not going to do that even though I asked for advice to get better." ... people gonna kick you in the shins a bit over it.

Everyone was fawning over Bodanza disc golf there for a bit...
I watched a few of his video's and was like "oh hell naw."

Guy actively was going around asking all the coaches for advice, then jumps on youtube, talks about it then flat says "Yeah, well i'm going to do it my way."
like.. you just wasted peoples time bro. A strength training coach told you to work on the exercises for 2 to 3 weeks, and you're online going "yeah, i'ma do it like 5 days."

So, yeah.
If you want to ask for advice, make sure to try and put some trust into what people are helping you with.
When we talk about discing down, its because it's really the smartest thing to do. But I'm not going to sit here with the retarded suggestion that some people have (none of you in DGCR that i'm aware) of "only throw putters till you hit 300 feet."

You will learn a LOT from only throwing putters and mids more. But you will hinder yourself throwing discs WAY to far above your skill level. Even if you "think" they are working, they are actively working against you.

There is a happy medium in there that makes life easier and the progression go faster.

I have a used Champion Sidewinder that crashes early left every time on me (RHBH). It is supposed to be understable! I try it every time I improve some - so far still always hard crash early. I figured it is a fluke - most of my understable stuff is opposite of that - I have to try to keep them from turning right and flipping over on me, or fight to find and consistently hit the correct amount of hyzer release angle.

Yep. My experience as well. You might want to try a DX, Star, or GStar one of them in the 150g range. I can get good distance out of them while still keeping them low, which is essential in our woods courses. The ability to throw a long, low anhyzer shot was really a game changer for me and the Sidewinders really do it well. If it doesn't work out for you, I'll take it off your hands.

Yeah those 155 gstar sidewinder are pretty awesome. Paradox are fun but I'm more of a flat thrower than a hyzer flipper. Oooh yeah those old runs of fission photons and teslas are $$$$$ they punched out some magic first runs then have failed to achieve that soft understable (but still stable) goodness ever since.

I throw waves decent occasionally overpowered them, the 143 photon was a close but stable twin, crazy easy distance especially uphill, I acquired a 155 fission photon (same run) and it was a sobering experience why I shouldn't be throwing 11's. Hahahaha. That's when I grabbed a unicorn fission tesla and committed to that instead. At least I can throw plasma and Neutron up to 165g in teslas.

TLDR The wave is a magic disc, there is a huge gap between it and a photon.

If you leaf through Discing Down Adventures you will see my old posts haha. Been there, done that sunshine. I think one of my last posts a year or two back was that I've finally disced down successfully due to age and injury, I've been hucking since the 90s and that thread was 2010ish if BroD was still an active poster.

Every disc you throw will help you learn, this whole putter only to 300 or only heavy, or only understable is stupid. Newbies need results to stay interested, I often set people up with a stable mid, an understable putter and a lighter neutral driver. Stable is accurate and some crappy flex shots at 180' are better than chasing understable putters into the deep woods when you're starting out. There needs to be a balance between fun and progression.

Last edited:
The slower discs really make you focus down to control them. I was struggling a bit with the fairways for a while because I was scared of them. Now its just spin and pop. I still gotta focus on not over powering them, but my power control is changing a lot. But for the most part its making sure to get good spin on them so they don't burn. and they punish you WAY harder for off axis torque throws.

I'm finally learning to trust my understable mids. My issue was learning what range bands worked for them and learning to throw them with a consistent amount of spin. I think that comes more naturally for the overstable mids, but it feels a little awkward for the understable discs. My brain knows that if I throw a good, level shot with a normal amount of spin I'll get a nice right turn through the trees. My brain over-ride still sometimes jumps in with "no, you need to aim further right and make sure to add some anhyzer..." resulting in a power roller into the creek.

You will learn a LOT from only throwing putters and mids more. But you will hinder yourself throwing discs WAY to far above your skill level. Even if you "think" they are working, they are actively working against you.

Yep. That special disc that got me over 250' reinforced a lot of bad habits. I'm just glad I realized it after only a few months instead of years.

If you leaf through Discing Down Adventures you will see my old posts haha. Been there, done that sunshine. I think one of my last posts a year or two back was that I've finally disced down successfully due to age and injury, I've been hucking since the 90s and that thread was 2010ish if BroD was still an active poster.

That's a really fun thread, thanks for pointing it out.

As for paradox.....

I can do some crazy stuff with a paradox. People get so confused when I throw 250 foot spike hyzers with it.... It's a huge spin control thing though. The paradox is honestly just crazy when it comes to being a flippy mid. The vertex was pretty nuts, but they were like "lets turn the vertex up to 11" but then completly destroyed the Theory.
The uplink is good, but I think the theory was better and easier for people to manage. You really have to commit to the uplink over the theory which was a bit more forgiving on helping you.
I run the lobster for that slot.

But again, the key to a lot of this is spin control. Same with a lot of these light weight discs. Gotta get them ripums in there. And that lighter disc is going to allow you to really get more spin on the disc easier. Moment of inertia science stuff.

They are great, but its one of MVP's more devious flyers in run to run flights.
The ones were all bragging about are really hard to obtain, and when you do see them up for grabs its in the 50-100 dollar range. Otherwise the newer ones are nowhere close to the numbers, but still good fliers. Just gotta know you're getting a meathook that flies good.

I think you kind of missed my main point of that. But I do write a lot, so sometimes it's hard to grab it all. And take this with however many grains of salt you want.
If you're trying to throw a disc designed for 400+ feet, and you're only getting 280 feet from them on a good rip, you're forcing the disc flight. You actually hurt your form progression trying to punch up to hard when it comes to disc speeds. Instead of 11 to 13s, you should probably be throwing 8/9 speeds. Especially if you're only throwing those big discs 250-280.
You are actively working on improving and asking good questions. And were actively trying to give good answers in return to help you get there easier.

This is really where its at. If you're enjoying what you're doing, keep doing it. It's what I always advocate even if it drives me nuts. Because enjoyment is the key to success. But, it's important to remember that when you're asking for help, and people help, and you kinda say "well, yeah, I'm not going to do that even though I asked for advice to get better." ... people gonna kick you in the shins a bit over it.

Everyone was fawning over Bodanza disc golf there for a bit...
I watched a few of his video's and was like "oh hell naw."

Guy actively was going around asking all the coaches for advice, then jumps on youtube, talks about it then flat says "Yeah, well i'm going to do it my way."
like.. you just wasted peoples time bro. A strength training coach told you to work on the exercises for 2 to 3 weeks, and you're online going "yeah, i'ma do it like 5 days."

So, yeah.
If you want to ask for advice, make sure to try and put some trust into what people are helping you with.
When we talk about discing down, its because it's really the smartest thing to do. But I'm not going to sit here with the retarded suggestion that some people have (none of you in DGCR that i'm aware) of "only throw putters till you hit 300 feet."

There is a happy medium in there that makes life easier and the progression go faster.
Can you tell me what, specifically, using the light weight distance drivers will cause me to do wrong? But, as I keep improving, and gaining distance, there is some built in "disc down", because I start having to disc down on the shorter holes. The 9 hole course I play most often only has one hole over 300'. It has 2 holes where I disc down a little bit already, and my second shot on the 400'+ hole I now disc down my second shot, but there are a lot of 260-290' holes, and if I gain much more, then I will need to start discing down on a lot more holes. I figured out just in the little bit of extra gains yesterday, there will be a learning curve as I have to figure slight changes in discs and play. I already know the Valkyrie is going to figure more prominently in my bag. I was already bagging and liking two 148-150g Valks, but last night I pulled out a disc I wasn't really using, and added a heavier Valk. I look forward to seeing how I do with it on the course. Also, my next few practice field days should end up being, "break out as many discs as possible, try everything, and see what changes occur with the improving technique". Been through several of these sessions in the past. Sometimes not much changes, but sometimes I discover a disc or two that I used to struggle with, that become good enough to make room for in bag. Thanks for your input, Sheep. That helps. It gets very frustrating just hearing so many guys say throw max weight, disc down, when I am a recreational player, and having fun and doing much better with the light weight distance drivers, and nobody says why that is worse for making progress. Every time I make gains, I try out the mids again - but so far I still can't throw them worth a crap. I try out pretty much all of the discs again - which, believe me, with my growing collection, it takes a lot more time than it used to!!! I keep hoping my heavy Sapphire, Saint, Undertaker, Sidewinder, etc., will suddenly become magic for me. I have two heavy Valkyries - if the one in the bag becomes useful enough, I can bag two of them, and maybe bag one less light weight distance driver. I was throwing the heavy Valkyries reasonably well before, so thinking they could be nice now. Time will tell, but I am thoroughly enjoying the journey (you know, other than on the occasional off days where the discs and course just don't want to cooperate with me - lol).

Can you tell me what, specifically, using the light weight distance drivers will cause me to do wrong?

I'll give you an example from my own dumb-assery. I picked up a "magic disk" this Summer. Before throwing it I was lucky to throw 200' and suddenly I was breaking 250' and my shots were looking like Calvin scaled to 40%. Only problem was that I was still rounding (even exaggerating it to get more distance) and throwing nose up. Because the disc was massively understable and light it would flip wonderfully and then instead of crashing right did a sort of glide forward. Of course when I started to use it out on a course it was a disaster. Any wind would destroy the flight. I hit every tree in Kentucky three times I think, because the giant disc eating monsters are everywhere here.

Frankly, it sounds like you are doing things right by working on your mechanics and working higher speed discs in as you go and your form improves. I think the message is "just because you CAN throw X disc doesn't mean you SHOULD throw X disc." It sounds like our experiences are a bit similar. I added the Sidewinder to my bag because it got me into range where I could play a number of local courses with a decent chance of a birdie on most holes instead of just hoping for a par on every hole.

The course I play regularly definitely has a high % of holes in the 270-290' range, where that little bit more distance improves birdie chances significantly. More 15-30' birdie tries wins out big over too many 40-60' birdie tries. But, I don't just say I throw the light weight distance drivers better - I actually throw them better. More distance, of course, but also reasonably accurately. I can't throw mid ranges worth a crap. Putters, I can only throw decent with fan grip. The 7-9 speed stuff, I am always paying attention, seeing if I find one I can throw super accurate and consistent, but so far not much can compete with how well I throw the lw Terns, etc. The ones I do throw decent, are no more accurate and consistent than my lw stuff, but significantly less distance. But, as long as I keep improving, and having fun, hopefully the disc selection stuff will sort itself out. I shouldn't need to gain too much more before the heavier discs start to be more useful for me, I hope. I am already reaching a point where discing down is needed on some holes - what an exciting new challenge!

I'm just between the jobs and coming through for a minute. I will go back and read things more carefully later haha.

One of the best moments I started to experience while I was discing down was when you're just trying to throw a nice smooth shot to the basket and you blow past it accidentally by 40 ot 50ft because it was just so smooth and you don't know how you managed to get it that far with so little power. The Accidental Connection.

I'm just between the jobs and coming through for a minute. I will go back and read things more carefully later haha.

One of the best moments I started to experience while I was discing down was when you're just trying to throw a nice smooth shot to the basket and you blow past it accidentally by 40 ot 50ft because it was just so smooth and you don't know how you managed to get it that far with so little power. The Accidental Connection.
I actually had that once a week ago or so. 225' hole, downhill, where I normally throw my 150g Valkyrie, kind of easy, but I was tired and I decided to use my 150g Tern and just throw it real easy. It sailed WAY past the basket. Felt very smooth. I tried for the same thing several times since, but haven't repeated it yet. Maybe it was the reduced effort - maybe it was just that I relaxed my arm more? Guessing sometimes even though I try to repeat the 'throw it easy', it doesn't work, and maybe it is that I can't relax my arm? IDK, but I'll keep plugging away, trying to figure it all out.

I think it was about two or three months of me discing down to a comet and an ion. I went for an easy Loft at 200 the comet went like 250 deep in the bush I was incredibly happy with the shot even though I missed the comeback putt.

225' downhill that just screams comet. Throw a comet down there and you'll be getting somewhere haha.

But not a heavy one, stay away from 180s, I'd go lighter like 172g-174, maybe 168 if you got a jiffy pop top crystal, if they're flat go 173g if they have dome (but not a jiffy) go to 171.5g. If it's an older elite x then 177g+. If it's a 2020 MJ light as you can find, metallic z MJ personally like em at 176g.

Hmmm 8g sure makes a difference with Comets 🤔

Last edited:
having fun and doing much better with the light weight distance drivers, and nobody says why that is worse for making progress.

It's all about having fun to be fair, but there's been plenty of great reasoning why throwing slower discs might gonna speed up your progress. We're all different and learn different ways though.

- For me, discing down has only been positive. My putter and mids gives me instant feedback if my form is bad, it flutters, the angle integrity and release feels awful and it rarely goes anywhere. On the other hand, if I hit it right, I'll know it instantaneously. It really helps getting the body mechanics down compares to drivers

- I (focus on the "I") can throw a distance driver like an absolutely spastic and it'll mask MOST of my ugly form (unless it's too nose up), and it'll still go "far". The feedback on drivers is way less, than slower discs in my opinion.

- Slower discs forces ME to focus on being smooth, instead of just yeeting that disc out there. Who knows, maybe lightweight drivers would do they same?

- throwing absolute straight shots that land and just slide instead of skipping right and left. To a certain extend, I can do that with fairway drivers, but there's s lot higher chance that something goes wrong.

I might just take all of my lightweight discs and do some light fieldwork later today - who knows? I might be able to throw further and hit lines better

That's when I grabbed a unicorn fission tesla and committed to that instead.
The answer is; Always Tesla

I'm finally learning to trust my understable mids. My issue was learning what range bands worked for them and learning to throw them with a consistent amount of spin. I think that comes more naturally for the overstable mids, but it feels a little awkward for the understable discs.
The best way to get really good at throwing them is to pick you up some ultimate's. I love the DD Aviators. They are a hair more forgiving than ultra stars. But they teach you to smooth out and throw clean, and how to push a good smooth hyzer as they give you instant bad OAT feedback and give you instant overpowered bad technique feedback.

It's a great training device that is underutilized by players in general.

Can you tell me what, specifically, using the light weight distance drivers will cause me to do wrong? But, as I keep improving, and gaining distance, there is some built in "disc down", because I start having to disc down on the shorter holes.

Basics come down to this. While you get 15 or 20 feet extra with it, that isn't significant improvement, however it is generally the attitude of why people will throw higher speed discs. "I get 20 more feet!" Well of course you do, but that disc is supposed to fly 100 feet further, not 20. You'll have to follow down through my replies as someone else ties into this, as well as one of your other comments.
And remember, I'm not gonna sit here and pound you about stopping it. The goal is to do what makes you happy, were mainly providing feedback that will let you progress faster rather than slower.

I think the message is "just because you CAN throw X disc doesn't mean you SHOULD throw X disc."

This is mainly what a few of us are saying. That extra 20 feet doesn't help you with your form. But I'll touch on that again in a later reply here.
can't throw mid ranges worth a crap. Putters, I can only throw decent with fan grip. The 7-9 speed stuff, I am always paying attention, seeing if I find one I can throw super accurate and consistent.... I am already reaching a point where discing down is needed on some holes - what an exciting new challenge!
Putter and Mid technique are really what will get you to a better level on your swing overall. I'm not gonna say only throw them, but getting them to release clean and on target will get you more power in your driver throw as your form has to be tighter to get them to come out correctly. But also good that you're paying attention and trying new things. Most players wont bother with even doing that. They just keep forcing the same bad form and same bad throw, and calling it good. And you can be a decent scoring golfer this way, but you can never go beyond that position.

And here were at the point of the above comments coming into play. And this is why I advocate against higher speed discs especially when working on your form. In our heads were thinking "faster disc, more distance, throw harder."
What this does is just eviscerates your mechanics as our timing and everything goes out the window as we try and throw harder and faster, but in reality what were doing is hurting our form, throwing slower and with less power.

When we slow down and throw those lower speed discs softer, our timing starts to hit. If you're throwing a 6 speed 350, and you switch to a 12 speed and you're only getting 370. The idea there is "you need to stop throwing 12 speeds." That 20 feet isn't worth it for starters, you're more likely to make a mistake with the 12 speed, and were working waaaay harder to try and throw that 12 speed, cause we trying to umpf it.

So, slower discs, and slower speeds = more power/distance. And its not really by accident, its just that our body can finally waltz and sing, vs us lumbering around like bigfoot trying to hulk smash it. Timing is everything, and thats why you see guys out there who look like they barely throw, but it goes far. It's timing creating a powerful kinetic chain.

I actually had that once a week ago or so. 225' hole, downhill, where I normally throw my 150g Valkyrie, kind of easy, but I was tired and I decided to use my 150g Tern and just throw it real easy. It sailed WAY past the basket. Felt very smooth. I tried for the same thing several times since, but haven't repeated it yet. Maybe it was the reduced effort - maybe it was just that I relaxed my arm more?

See above =)
But yes, it was you relaxing coupled with the down hill and a disc that you didn't over power, but threw fast enough to perform as needed with lower effort. That and the Tern for you probably isn't as flippy as a valk, so that might have helped.
Downhill stuff is weird anyways. whole different conversation.

It's all about having fun to be fair, but there's been plenty of great reasoning why throwing slower discs might gonna speed up your progress. We're all different and learn different ways though.

- For me, discing down has only been positive. My putter and mids gives me instant feedback if my form is bad, it flutters, the angle integrity and release feels awful and it rarely goes anywhere. On the other hand, if I hit it right, I'll know it instantaneously. It really helps getting the body mechanics down compares to drivers

- I (focus on the "I") can throw a distance driver like an absolutely spastic and it'll mask MOST of my ugly form (unless it's too nose up), and it'll still go "far". The feedback on drivers is way less, than slower discs in my opinion.

- Slower discs forces ME to focus on being smooth, instead of just yeeting that disc out there. Who knows, maybe lightweight drivers would do they same?

- throwing absolute straight shots that land and just slide instead of skipping right and left. To a certain extend, I can do that with fairway drivers, but there's s lot higher chance that something goes wrong.

All those things.

Especially the other reason to throw slower stuff, it will really help you improve your bad form quicker and give you better results faster as well. High speed drivers cover up bad form mistakes.

This is why a lot of newer forehand dominant players throw high speed overstable drivesr.
They think they are overpowering the disc and need that stability and speed, but the reality of it is that their form is terrible and the disc is compensating for them.

Which when it comes to back hand, it covers up some mistakes for starters. They are more susceptible to nose angles, Slower discs are FAR more forgiving on nose angles. and as above, we are usually trying to force a flight line out of them by throwing harder, throwing on annie or some other things.

Some of this stuff would be far more fun if we could all get together with some of the discs I have here that I use as training aids for myself, and watch some people throw them as you'll get instant feedback from the disc based on skill level and form.
While I don't throw incredibly far myself, Mostly because of nose angle issues and injuries, I do command a lot of control over some really crazy discs that are almost unthrowable for most people due to how understable they are. Such as the paradox. People trip balls when they see me throw a disc they cannot throw without turning it into a roller, but I'm throwing it 300 feet controlled.

The best way to get really good at throwing them is to pick you up some ultimate's. I love the DD Aviators. They are a hair more forgiving than ultra stars. But they teach you to smooth out and throw clean, and how to push a good smooth hyzer as they give you instant bad OAT feedback and give you instant overpowered bad technique feedback.

It's a great training device that is underutilized by players in general.

I'll give that a try. My daughter and son-in-law were big Ultimate players, so I'm sure they have a good selection lying around. They are way more into DG nowadays. Would a Glitch serve the same purpose? I've used one a lot to work on my forehand short game. And it definitely punishes my overpowered backhand.

Latest posts