• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie looking for help with drive, inc video

Radian

Hi all!

I've been bitten by the disc golf bug and have been playing for about 2 months now. I'm hoping you guys can provide some criticism on my technique.
I play at Westmoreland in Eugene, OR. And I practice at a local field where I also walk my dogs.

Currently I have a Star Leopard and a SuperSoft Wizard, and am borrowing a champion Beast, which I'm throwing in this video. I've been trying to come to grips with the x-step, and making sure the drive is coming from a proper base and hip action. I've tried being more on my toes, hopping vs stepping etc. The throw here went about 260 with the Beast.

Comparing this to the pros, it looks like I'm not getting enough rotation upon release... any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fZIEBLHTo

thanks,

Okke.

It's hard to analyze in full speed but I think I may have noticed a few things.

I think you may be throwing with the nose slightly up. When you hold the disc out before your throw you're holding the disc kinda high.

Also, on your pull through (once again, it's hard to tell) it looks like you pull slightly down and then come back up again at the snap.

Another thing is your last step looks like it's too long. You're not getting as fast of a weight transfer as you would with a shorter last step and if your body is not over your leading leg then that also contributes to having the nose up.
Very smooth pull-through though.
I noticed after you throw you can hear a "ding" sound like you were hitting something with your disc.

You're correct, you're accelerating too early. Your hand should be moving faster after the hit than before. You're actually slowing down at the hit. You don't really need to worry about accelerating hard until your hand gets to your right pec. That's when your elbow and shoulder will slow down and your forearm and hand will speed up (sometimes called "elbow chop").

Two other major things I noticed were that your weight is not forward at the hit and that your hand isn't passing by the right pec. Right now you're starting your pull high and ending low. You want to do that the other way, start lower and pull higher. Both of those things will help get the nose down and add D.

I really like how you line up your throw. You also start your pull at the right time and don't have a lot of unneeded movement. Those are three things that tend to make it hard for new players to throw correctly and you're already doing them well.

If you haven't already, watch this video and do the drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo&feature=related

It will help with several of the things I mentioned, mostly the weight shift and pulling close to the right pec.

All in all, really good for someone who's only been playing 2 months! Keep up the good work and keep asking questions.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I saw that Discraft video last week... great info indeed. I should watch it again ;)

Traver, I think you're right on with the high release... it's something I've been having an issue with. I'll also try a shorter last step and making sure I'm not leaning back upon release, which would make it go nose up.
I checked the video for the `ding`... that's actually the skatepark right nearby. Must've been a kid doing a grind or something ;)

Garublador; thanks for the suggestions! Yeah in my youtube search I had come across that Dan Beto video. I'll practice those drills... and will get another video up in a bit to check on progress :) Also, I'll see if I can make a video with slo-mo...

Garublador; thanks for the suggestions! Yeah in my youtube search I had come across that Dan Beto video. I'll practice those drills... and will get another video up in a bit to check on progress :) Also, I'll see if I can make a video with slo-mo...
The funny thing is that for his video was the first one under the "related videos" section when I watched your video. FWIW, that video is the method he was taught to learn to throw fairway drivers >420'. IMO, it's the best way to build a throw from the ground up.

Comparing this to the pros, it looks like I'm not getting enough rotation upon release... any thoughts?

You're just working out some classic issues...

- Delay the start of your arm pull until you get your plant foot down and start your hip/torso/shoulder rotation forward (these should lead, not follow, or coincide).

- Your arm is aiming at a good spot but you're actually dipping lower on the pull through and then releasing nose up, so the disc will stall out in flight. Keep the disc higher through the entire pull, and keep your wrist rotated forward in a nose-down orientation.

- Your maximum pull effort now seems to be occurring when your hips are pointing at right angle to the target, which is not good for power. Don't put any effort into pulling through until the disc reaches your chest (keep the disc close to your body in the pull, it will force a snap eventually if you do), and then hit it hard like you're bitch slapping some imaginary foe.

- Try a friendlier disc on your drives (stay away from the Beast until you're throwing 350 ft or more consistently) and work on throwing it over and over again. Roc, Panther, Cobra, Stratus, etc. are the range of discs you should be training with now, and learning to shape lines, adjust nose angle, etc..

Looks to me like you need to work on transferring your weight forward. Something that goes along with this is to continue your swinging motion instead of stopping it once you release the disc. Weight forward and follow all the way through.

im not going to tell you how to change your style cause not everything works for everybody but before you change anything start aiming the disc lower , let the disc rise on its own dont make it rise.

if you need help learning to throw it low go on top of a big hill and throw the disc down and learn to let it rise , if you do that youll learn how to not waste your speed .

Today I practiced some of the Dan Beto drills... can definitely feel the difference. No added distance yet, but I was mainly practicing the hit from the right pec with the 1 and 2-step. It does feel better having my weight more forward (over the disk). I was still throwing it a little high... will keep working on it :)

did you try throwing without the x-step like beato does in the vid ,that might help you focus more on your swing . once you get it down put the x-step back into the rotation

Yep I found that even with a simple 2-step I got some pretty good distance. It does make sense to get the fundamentals of the `hit` down, before trying to throw in extra stuff like the X-Step. Btw, technique appears to be very different between Dan Beto, and the technique in the Discraft video. Dan Beto keeps the disc pretty high across the chest, and stays sideways in the steps. While the Discraft pro recommends almost stepping backwards, and reaching down & back. They both throw insane distances, so I guess whatever works :)

Btw, technique appears to be very different between Dan Beto, and the technique in the Discraft video. :)

I also noticed the differences in these two vids. I have practiced both, and have been trying to imitate Beto's more, but using the "keep loose" mentality and other pointers from the Discraft vid.

After watching the two vids, I find myself a bit skeptical about the Discraft video. The Discraft vid technique is probably okay for wide open courses, and the Beato vid gives a good technique for better accuracy and consistency.
If you recall, the Discraft vid had several drives go wide left.
Tried both, like the Beato "hit" technique much better for the above stated reasons.

After watching the two vids, I find myself a bit skeptical about the Discraft video. The Discraft vid technique is probably okay for wide open courses, and the Beato vid gives a good technique for better accuracy and consistency.
If you recall, the Discraft vid had several drives go wide left.
Tried both, like the Beato "hit" technique much better for the above stated reasons.

I agree with this completely. Their large anhyzer flex shots are only usable in certain situations. The Dan Beto video has helped me a lot on backhand. Just go to a field and try it with putters or midranges. Work your way up and don't skip steps.

Also I've slowed down my throw a lot, the only thing that's fast is the pull through. Been helping me reach 275-300' with my midranges. I haven't thrown a driver yet backhand for distance.

Garublador's and skurf's posts on page 1 are excellent advice. Don't just accelerate up to the point of release. Accelerate through it. To do that you have to be willing to transfer your weight forward. Ideally your momentum should carry you out over and beyond your front foot, with your rear foot coming to rest way around in front of it as your whole body uncoils. Might want to take some time to work up to that point, but your body uncoiling like a loaded spring is the ultimate goal.