• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Newbie- Purchased Several Discs, any other recomendations?

The best four beginner discs I have ever seen are as follow:
Mamba (Champion, have not tried Star yet)
Leopard (I love the Star version, but Pro might be better because it has insane glide and goes nice and straight)
Mako (Star - straightest midrange you will ever hear of. Despite popular belief, the Buzzz goes nowhere near as straight)
Aviar (they're all good, but the Yeti Pro, R-Pro, or DX would be my picks)

If you already have good discs (which you seem to), you should start by simply learning how to throw them. Keep it simple; don't use more than three per round. Any combination of your current discs will work, but I'd recommend the Leopard, Comet/Meteor, and Aviar personally.

I agree with everyone. you clearly did your research and picked up a good set of discs. I don't think you need anything new until you start moving up into faster drivers.

I also think the fade crunch is a better buy. Keep the divider in and use one side for discs and the other for a sandwich and a couple of molsons/labatts.

Huge thanks to everybody who has posted, you've been a huge help. I've finally got 3 nine-hole rounds in using the Leopard, Comet, and Aviar. Definitely liking the Aviar so far. A tree branch managed to snag my Comet, but I managed to knock it down with a pinecone. Might throw some lacrosse balls in my bag to help me out with this later. I think I'll take everyone's advice and just stick with these three discs for the time being and then switch to a different three once I'm comfortable with the ones I'm using now (chucked the Meteor a few times after my last round yesterday and I'm looking forward to using it).

Using an old duffle bag for now, but I can definitely see myself getting an actual disc golf bag in the near future. The Nutsac looks really appealing to me practicality-wise. I'm playing on a short course so I don't exactly need a huge array of drivers. The name is hilarious imo, though it does look an awful lot like a purse.

I'm from Yorkton, small city about an hour and a half south east of Regina. We just had our course put in a couple years ago. It's not used very often and it's free, you pretty much have free reign over it to do what you want. It's very well maintained as it is in a city park. Perfect layout for a beginner.

Cool! I was only aware of the one course they have in Saskatoon in Saskatchewan. Just did another quick search on here and it looks like there's a couple more out there now. Your Yorkton course isn't on here yet though. Snap some pics and post it up. :thmbup:

Cool! I was only aware of the one course they have in Saskatoon in Saskatchewan. Just did another quick search on here and it looks like there's a couple more out there now. Your Yorkton course isn't on here yet though. Snap some pics and post it up. :thmbup:

I'll be sure to when I find the time. It really is a nice little beginners course, opened up in 2011. Nice to hear from another Canadian disc golfer. It's a shame there are so few courses around here, the province is ideal for them in the summer time. Tons of open unused space.

Last edited:

Latest posts