• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie question!

Rickcin

Bogey Member
Just getting started, I purchased a 6 disc started set & bag and threw a few discs for the first time today for 5 holes in order to view the course for the first time.

First question, how do most players keep track of their score, a phone app or a pocket score card, what's best?

What is the best way to learn how to throw for distance? I was amazed at just how short my throws were, Proust a tad more than 100 feet and they always hooked left! I'm over 6 foot about 190 pounds with decent strengt, why are my disc flights so very bad?

thanks

UDisc is what many people use—it's an app. I used it for a few years, but now I just remember my score and leave the phone alone. It was good to see improvement at first, and it uses geolocation to help you find your way on courses.

There are a bunch of form resources here. Most everyone makes the same mistakes at first. Typically, throwing nose up. You'll want to practice learning to throw with a slight nose-down release. Good to word from a stand-still shot at first until you start to understand bracing, weight shift, timing and some of the basics.

I've learned more from other people's form threads than about anything else besides practice. Cheers

UDisc is what many people use—it's an app. I used it for a few years, but now I just remember my score and leave the phone alone. It was good to see improvement at first, and it uses geolocation to help you find your way on courses.

There are a bunch of form resources here. Most everyone makes the same mistakes at first. Typically, throwing nose up. You'll want to practice learning to throw with a slight nose-down release. Good to word from a stand-still shot at first until you start to understand bracing, weight shift, timing and some of the basics.

I've learned more from other people's form threads than about anything else besides practice. Cheers
Interesting about finding your way on the course, that was a major issue for me this afternoon. Many of the signs were worn out with no lettering whatsoever and besides for the concrete driving pads, the red or blue ones were non existent for the most part.

Thanks for the tip and advice to practice throwing from a stand-still position. That would definitely help with getting some consistency, thank you❗

Interesting about finding your way on the course, that was a major issue for me this afternoon. Many of the signs were worn out with no lettering whatsoever and besides for the concrete driving pads, the red or blue ones were non existent for the most part.️
The first time I played my closest course, I started on a random hole and played what I thought was a full round. Ended up playing 10 holes because I missed a bunch. The next time I played, I found hole 1 and took a picture of the map so I could figure it out. If hole 1 doesn't have a map by it, try finding your course on this site. It will help navigate.

Also, Udisc is not only a good score keeper, it has a map that can help you find your way.

What do the crowns and medals next to peoples' names mean?
Crowns are for Premium Members (paid membership), the medals are tiers of trusted course reviewers (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond levels) These are attained by writing a lot of course reviews, and members giving those reviews a thumbs up of approval. There can also be thumbs down given for poor reviews. The more reviews you complete, the more thumbs up you get, and the more unique members who thumb up your course reviews, allows you to advance levels as a trusted reviewer. For Instance, I am a premium member, currently a Silver Trusted reviewer with 100 course reviews, over 1100 thumbs up, and over 70 unique voters who've thumbed up my reviews. (We laughingly call all people with enough course reviews and thumbs up to qualify for Diamond level, but are missing the required number of unique votes, the Cubic Zirconium club, of which I am a member. lol)