• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie!

nabjab

Hi Everyone, I am new to disc golf! We are going to Co in 3 weeks to visit my son, who is taking us disc golfing, he loves it and says we will too, any advice for us? We have no idea what we are getting into. :\

I dont think so, he never mentioned it, I just came across it looking to find out how to play so we dont make fools out of ourselfs.

Well - if it's your first time playing and your son doesn't have extra discs I would go purchase some DX discs (they'll be the cheaper ones, 8-9$) from the closest place that sells disc golf stuff. Maybe a DX teebird, Roc and Aviar. Those should be enough for you and your wife to have some fun. Also, bring a lot of water, maybe some insect repellant, and wear a hat, maybe some sun screen too b/c it may take a few hours to play 18 holes. Other than that, just enjoy playing an awesome game.

Welcome aboard :thmbup: Hope you enjoy your time on the course!

The Roc and the Avair in the DX plastic, that is really all you will need for the first couple of times out. If there is a longer open hole and you want to let loose, your son should have a driver that you can try.
Bottom line, enjoy the experience...it is totally addicting!

Do not buy a champion boss, for the love of god.

And do NOT buy a Groove. It is the worst disc Innova makes. But if he has much experience, your son should be able to help you pick discs. In the beginning, keep in mind that "midrange" and "putt & approach" discs will fly better for you than "drivers." For best results, keep the nose down, and throw low and flat. And expect to become addicted! :D

Last edited:
shoot man don't even bother the last thing we need is new checkers at the course!!!! JUST KIDDING!!!
you will have a blast it is hiking with a purpose. Don't worry about looking like fools there are plenty of fools out there so that will not matter. Even good dgers can be fools too.

just remember to try not to throw hard throw smooth. watch some youtube instruction videos and get out to a field and throw back and forth with a putter or a mid, drivers hurt!!! have fun and smile and laugh with your son that is what this thing we love is all about

Welcome to the site and to the sport.

Safety is the first rule.
Do not throw when you can ever hit anyone and yell lookout if it comes close to anyone. If someone yells lookout Cover your head with your arms.

Play to have fun.
The second rule is "whoever has the most fun wins".

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the tips! We went to check out a course yesterday and found out that a store across the street lets you show your liscence they will let you use the discs to play, we didnt have time yesterday to play so next weekend we are off for a round of disc golf! Wish us luck.

Well we went to play our first game of disc golf the other day, we had a blast! I don't think we were the best ones on the course, our par was about 10, I don't know how anyone can get par 3 when the hole is 265-350 ft!! Gonna take a lot of practice. We leave in 12 days to go see my son, so hopefully we get to go out a couple more times before that.

Well we went to play our first game of disc golf the other day, we had a blast! I don't think we were the best ones on the course, our par was about 10, I don't know how anyone can get par 3 when the hole is 265-350 ft!! Gonna take a lot of practice. We leave in 12 days to go see my son, so hopefully we get to go out a couple more times before that.

What course are you playing? You should come play Bellamy Park in Dover, NH! It's a good course and it's free, plus the locals (myself included) are always happy to offer tips and advice. Feel free to PM me if you want to play a round sometime!

advice , use the search feature , get in on another newbie thread
Seriously? Did you even see when this thread started? This is the one thing I really hate about this site, everyone is ready to jump on people for "starting a new thread" rather than trying to be nice and offering advice/assistance. :wall: