• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Newer innova metal flake

Nothing but cage

Birdie Member
So I'm finally trying out some tried and true older innova molds and I see that they've started a semi-production run of metal flaked champ plastic for their more popular molds.

Has anyone had a good amount of experience with this plastic? I assume it's more over stable than regular champ. Does it seem to lose some glide?

Never really gave innova a fair shot because I liked throwing some smaller companies but I'm jumping on the mold minimalist bandwagon and using innova's selection of plastic types and inconsistencies between runs to do it.

In my experience, Innova's discs are so inconsistent that the differences caused by metal flaking are well within the margin of variation on normal run Champ plastic. That is, you wouldn't be able to identify metal flaked from normal Champ based on their flight characteristics. Some people may have 1 metal flake disc that's more stable than 1 Champ disc, some people will have the reverse.

So I'm finally trying out some tried and true older innova molds and I see that they've started a semi-production run of metal flaked champ plastic for their more popular molds.
Has anyone had a good amount of experience with this plastic? I assume it's more over stable than regular champ. Does it seem to lose some glide?

I have a Metal Flake Roc3 (good looking disc, too) as well as Champ Roc3, Star Roc3, GStar Roc3, McPro Roc3, and DX Roc3. I would say that it is fair to call the Metal Flake just a bit more overstable fresh out of the box. But it soon throws like the Champ and Star Roc3s: straight with some dump fade at the end.

The Metal Flake glides about the same as regular Champ in my Roc3s, so for me there was not a lot of difference. Others may have a different story based on their own discs...

I see no difference in the current metal flake. Same stability for everything I've tried.

Hmm. This whole thought process was brought on by me buying a buddies old super gummy glow teebird. Just the perfect workhorse. Tiny bit of turn with a very forward gliding light fade. I'd like to get a more and less stable compliment. Was hoping there'd be an easily defining factor where I wouldn't have to worry about plh or done if I decide to buy online. Well, prob going to the local pias and fondling some birds.

I bag a metal flake Roc3 and Gator. Also when I'm not throwing FDs I'll bag a Teebird 3. The general census is that yes they're more stable then regular champ, but as we all know PLH rules all when it comes to stability. For instance I've thrown other metal flake Roc3s that where more stable then champ Roc3s but the 176g MF I bag is less stable then my slightly domey Champ Roc3. It seems like most MF Roc3s are more stable but this particular one may have a slightly lower PLH.

Now my MF Gator is ever so slightly more stable then my flat ring o gators that's in jolly launcher, but both are hogs. And the Metal Flake teebird3 reminds me of my old 11x Cal mold champ Teebirds. Feels pretty much identical and is flat and beefy.

I don't think i've thrown enough variety of the same mold to say. But have a MF Teebird and I don't see much difference off the shelf between Star regular Champ and MF. If it stays more stable longer with use remains to be seen.

Other than that I like the look and want more.

We got a run of CFR metal flake firebirds made last year and they are total meathooks. I got a few that are FAF in the 170-171g range. They are on par with the CE and 11x FB's I've thrown in terms of being glideless, and even my most broken in one still doesn't flip like my CE started to when I decided to retire it.

I also have a metal flake mini. It's pretty neutral.

From what ive seen of friends throwing MF, the older cfr stiff blend tends to be more OS than regular champ, and are more or less indestructible. The newer "production" blend seems to be a tad less stiff and more like a normal champ in terms of flight.

I feel like most people who have thrown old school MF would agree.

I love the new Roc3 and Teebird I've gotten in the new MF. The Roc3 is more stable than the 2x Roc3's I used to throw and flies a lot like a USDGC Roc(without the dome) or a VIP Bard.

The Teebird is similar to a Brinster but not quite as OS, more than a Champ standard but I think it will beat into perfection and stay there for a long, long time.

Ironically I'm not bagging either of these discs right now. But I easily could.

I threw a friend's metal flake PD and it was extremely overstable compared to its other plastics. I bought some metal flake Thunderbirds assuming they too would fly more overstable but they were just like any other run of Champion... maybe even less stable.

Metal flake discs tend to be more overstable than their couterparts. I had a metal flake Destroyer that I basically couldn't throw because it was so overstable. I would need to throw it on a huge anhyzer in order to get it to fly.

Also I saw an ITB video with a pro (I think Barry Schulz?) who said that metal flake discs tend to be overstable.

In general buying TB's blind you will get more stability from a heavier disc and less from lighter. In the past MF's are usually more stable also then Champ versions. Of course you could always get an outlier but I've got a bunch and they seem pretty consistent, much more so then high speed drivers.

Saw these in GGGT. Curious about the MF Katana. They appear to be quite domey (so do the other MF fast drivers BTW)

I have a MF Ape that was absurdly domey. So much so that I reduced it with some hot water and weighting. Now has a very slightly concave middle of the dome but flies much better.

I just ordered a production run MF Roc3 looking for a Roc3 a bit more OS than my Star. Despite being 5 grams heavier (175) and brand new the MF was very similar in stability. The difference being the MF had fade that was a bit more dumpy with the Star having smooth forward fade. Compared to my 180g 2x champ Roc3 with a chunk taken out of the rim it was, once again, very similar in stability.

The only thing keeping me from being completely disappointed was the fact that the orange MF production run was nice to look at and easy to find. Also as said before, this run of MF isn't super stiff and for what it's worth it has a very, VERY mild dome.

I wondered about the MF Katana because with that disc dome does not usually equal stability. Pro are pretty domey and understable, I've got a flat GStar that is truly overstable. Could be the way the wings form more than anything though.