• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Next step for driving disc

centervolume

I wanted to ask for some opinions on a new distance disc. I am a new ('covid era') player and have been working my way up, disc-speed wise, to develop strength and understanding. Generally, have been progressing by gradually transitioning along these parameters

lower speed to high
understandable to more stable as I am able to generate more torque,
using lighter weight then getting heavier to find the right spot

After outpacing my fastest / longest driver (a Big Z Heat which is a 9speed, -2 turn iirc) I'm turning it over consistently at higher power. I want something like that but a touch more stable to help me build strength.

What disc makes sense as the right next step transition to higher speed or less under stability?

was thinking of DM TD even though it's still a -2, the speed is higher (10) and I think C-line is less under stable?

The TD is really basically a 9 speed. It has a RR bottom (1.8 rim). Not a bad choice though. Seedlings list is good, maybe throw in a Vandal too as another option.

Valkyrie, that disc is a less US disc that will have this smaller S shape flight, get premium or Pro as newer DX wears in rather quick, about one season of playing 1-2 times a week. If wanting to stay with Discraft get a Mantis which has the same flight as a Valkyrie.

Okay so I'm going to try to be as constructive as I can here....

You're getting more efficient pulls and increasing your efficiency with power. That doesn't mean you can't throw "flippy" discs, you just need to adjust your form. They will teach you more than just finding more torque resistant discs...

That said. I DEFINITELY can't help but give some suggestions to grow into...

I'm a BIG understable fairway fan... I've also tried most of the popular options...
Current Fave - Discmania Essence (from the Evolution line). The glide on this disc is for REAL. Gives a true turn, but enough stability to finish flat or gently left.

For Distance... Get something slightly more stable than you might need, and start cycling. I recommend a Star Wraith. It will likely be a little more overstable at first than you're looking for, but it will last a LONG time in it's sweet spot once you season it a little and get used to the feel.
That, or something a little more approachable for lower arm speeds, pick up a thrasher.

Something in between the two... Glow Shryke.

Last edited:
How far are you throwing that Heat? Not your best throw ever, but what's your consistent, reliable distance?

Also, if your Heat has seen a lot of wear, I agree with the suggestion of a fresh, max weight Heat.

Agreed with previous posters that it'd help to know how far you're throwing. In general terms though, I think you'll eventually find four basic stability classes for fairway drivers:

1. Hyzerflips/turnovers/roller discs (such as your Heat)
2. Neutral discs with a little turn and a little fade; also known as the "holds any angle" discs
3. Straight-to-fade/overstable but not too overstable discs
4. Utility overstable/glideless bricks

You've already got a disc in the first category with your Heat. I would NOT make the jump to the fourth Firebird-esque category yet. So really it's just a matter of what type of disc you're looking for when you say you want something more stable.

Do you want a versatile disc that will really help you learn release angles? Then a Stag, or Escape, or Saint, or Valkyrie would fit the bill.

Do you want a true straight-to-fade disc that you can throw hard and flat? Then a Teebird or Explorer would be great in the 7 speed range, or a Getaway or Thunderbird in the 9 speed range. If you go the 9 speed route, I'd probably err on the side of a less stable plastic and lower weight so that it isn't *too* overstable. Personally I'm a huge fan of 165-168g Biofuzion Getaways.

Agreed with previous posters that it'd help to know how far you're throwing. In general terms though, I think you'll eventually find four basic stability classes for fairway drivers:

1. Hyzerflips/turnovers/roller discs (such as your Heat)
2. Neutral discs with a little turn and a little fade; also known as the "holds any angle" discs
3. Straight-to-fade/overstable but not too overstable discs
4. Utility overstable/glideless bricks

You've already got a disc in the first category with your Heat. I would NOT make the jump to the fourth Firebird-esque category yet. So really it's just a matter of what type of disc you're looking for when you say you want something more stable.

Do you want a versatile disc that will really help you learn release angles? Then a Stag, or Escape, or Saint, or Valkyrie would fit the bill.

Do you want a true straight-to-fade disc that you can throw hard and flat? Then a Teebird or Explorer would be great in the 7 speed range, or a Getaway or Thunderbird in the 9 speed range. If you go the 9 speed route, I'd probably err on the side of a less stable plastic and lower weight so that it isn't *too* overstable. Personally I'm a huge fan of 165-168g Biofuzion Getaways.

I have a 15Xg Air Getaway. When that develops it's -0.5 turn, I will be in a happy place!

Seconded. I'm of the same era as OP, and I transitioned from a Jade to a Sapphire, expecting a slightly faster but similar disc. That's not what the Sapphire is. For me I'd rate it as a 10, 6, -.5, 1.5. If I really crank on it (or if there's some headwind), I can get a bit of turn, but generally I'm throwing it straight for distance with a bit of fade. It's my primary driver right now and I'm loving it. The Sapphire thread is a good source of info on this one.

If you aren't getting a Teebird out to 350', keep working on your form.

Ok that definitely makes me want to get the tee bird. I can just barely crack 335-350 last time I did field work.

I'm definitely not of the opinion that I don't need form work I'm much more of the student of life always trying to get better perspective.

It's a funny game form wise guys who look like they are not making effort out throw those who are straining / appear to be overpowering.

Okay so I'm going to try to be as constructive as I can here....

You're getting more efficient pulls and increasing your efficiency with power. That doesn't mean you can't throw "flippy" discs, you just need to adjust your form. They will teach you more than just finding more torque resistant discs...

That said. I DEFINITELY can't help but give some suggestions to grow into...

I'm a BIG understable fairway fan... I've also tried most of the popular options...
Current Fave - Discmania Essence (from the Evolution line). The glide on this disc is for REAL. Gives a true turn, but enough stability to finish flat or gently left.

For Distance... Get something slightly more stable than you might need, and start cycling. I recommend a Star Wraith. It will likely be a little more overstable at first than you're looking for, but it will last a LONG time in it's sweet spot once you season it a little and get used to the feel.
That, or something a little more approachable for lower arm speeds, pick up a thrasher.

Something in between the two... Glow Shryke.

Great advice... thanks man

How far are you throwing that Heat? Not your best throw ever, but what's your consistent, reliable distance?

Also, if your Heat has seen a lot of wear, I agree with the suggestion of a fresh, max weight Heat.

About 300 consistent, my goal is 400-450... I'm 48 and not used to thinking about age but I guess it's a factor now. Anyhow distance is just one part of the game but I really enjoy trying to push that part and understand the physics, my form etc. It's just really cool part of an awesome sport