• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next Tee Stickers

Anyone have any leads on the OP's question though? What about the stickers? I have seen them on a couple of courses too. I like them personally. I think that for a local city park type of course that only has one tee and one basket per hole and where navigation is generally pretty straightforward, either these stickers or the DD clip-ons that R-Ogre posted are perfectly adequate.

(I agree that if I'm rating navigational signage: permanent signs are better, and the hanging arrows on baskets/notes on previous tee signs are worse, and the DD clip-ons are about the same as a sticker).

Anyone have any leads on the OP's question though? What about the stickers? I have seen them on a couple of courses too. I like them personally. I think that for a local city park type of course that only has one tee and one basket per hole and where navigation is generally pretty straightforward, either these stickers or the DD clip-ons that R-Ogre posted are perfectly adequate.

(I agree that if I'm rating navigational signage: permanent signs are better, and the hanging arrows on baskets/notes on previous tee signs are worse, and the DD clip-ons are about the same as a sticker).

I think my first suggestion was a custom sticker. I didn't explicitly explain though, because you might have differing opinions about where to put the sticker, width of band, etc.

To be more explicit, look at this:

https://www.mysafetylabels.com/cust...YMCyvx2IJI3mF2pNTSFcZLLwgk1dvSrRoCSYkQAvD_BwE

This is one of probably hundreds of options where you could add the text "next basket" or whatever. Put another way, this sort of sticker is so common and used for so many applications that you are more likely customizing an existing product or creating a custom sticker to meet your needs.

I think my first suggestion was a custom sticker. I didn't explicitly explain though, because you might have differing opinions about where to put the sticker, width of band, etc.

To be more explicit, look at this:

https://www.mysafetylabels.com/cust...YMCyvx2IJI3mF2pNTSFcZLLwgk1dvSrRoCSYkQAvD_BwE

This is one of probably hundreds of options where you could add the text "next basket" or whatever. Put another way, this sort of sticker is so common and used for so many applications that you are more likely customizing an existing product or creating a custom sticker to meet your needs.

Oh, yes!! Something like this is what I remember.

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 5
Not sure which brand of basket it is but one of my nearby courses has little metal arrows that are welded into the bottom of the basket. I assume they came that way because they seem to be powder coated like the rest of the cage.

Disc Golf Park baskets have these, not a good basket though.

Couple of ideas I had for inexpensive and adjustable arrows. Just concepts I was playing around with.

This is about 24" of #8 galvanized wire. 30" and it would make a nice arrow point. Could bend it into just about any number. Copper wire would be easier to work with, but someone would probably steal it.

attachment.php

Piece of PVC pipe with hooks and carabiners.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8517 (2).JPG
    IMG_8517 (2).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 44
Custom? Wouldn't cost much. I have also seem plastic arrow signs attached to bottom of basket by zips. These seem to be very clear in terms of wayfinding.

I've seen these on numerous courses.

I'm a fan of a paint stripe on a spoke pointing the right direction: red for the short, wait for the middle, blue for the long. Simple yet effective, cost efficient, and low maintenance.

The caveat is, none of those basket based directional aids work particularly well for rotating pin placements. :\

I am with Bogey here. Taped or painted tines are the easiest, best and most replaceable way to direct me from the basket to the next tees. Tee signs themselves are an important part of the navigation solutions, IMO. Hole number is one of, if not the most, important piece of info on the sign. MAKE IT LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE FROM DISTANCE! Better yet, consider the sign positioning and facing when planting. Many signs can be given a position to be seen from the last basket or path.

At Hiller Park in Biloxi, I used a reasonably inexpensive method for Next Tee Markers. I did this almost 10 years ago, so the cost will have gone up, but the Tee Markers are still there and holding up pretty well. I hung them under the bottom of the basket, pointing in the general direction of the next tee.

Cut 1 inch Schedule 40 PVC pipe into 5-inch lengths, drill a hole on each end, and use aluminum fence ties as hangers. I already had the vinyl lettering, as far as numbering them and the directional arrows. I think I spent about $20 to do 22 baskets (at the time).

The PVC pipe stands up to the weather and the sun, the aluminum fence ties do not rust and are easy to bend. If the basket is moved, the next tee marker can easily be rehung to point in the correct direction. Discers saw these and used the same or similar methods to do most of the courses here on the coast.

Attachments

• Next Tee Marker.jpg
    Next Tee Marker.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 12
I am with Bogey here. Taped or painted tines are the easiest, best and most replaceable way to direct me from the basket to the next tees. Tee signs themselves are an important part of the navigation solutions, IMO. Hole number is one of, if not the most, important piece of info on the sign. MAKE IT LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE FROM DISTANCE! Better yet, consider the sign positioning and facing when planting. Many signs can be given a position to be seen from the last basket or path.

In a best case scenario, you would have a small sign on top of each tee marker sign that could be positioned to face the previous basket, and allow the actual tee sign to face the back of the tee pad.

What I do and what most people I suspect do on a course where they don't know the layout is take their disc out of the basket and visually scan for the next tee. I know on a course I'm not familiar with, I often walk to what appears to be the next tee but it ends up not being the right one. If I could have seen a number standing at the previous basket, I'd know not to walk over.

I'll also add that there's a whole science of wayfinding that has it worked out how large a letter form needs to be to be read from distance X at speed Y. There are also type faces specifically designed to be legible from distance. The only job I've ever walked out on was for some temporary navigation signage for a museum. They were demanding I make signs that I knew well would not be legible at the posted road speeds and height. I knew it was a violation of code and could potentially cost someone their life. All that is to say, there's much that is known that can be drawn from to improve the way the courses function.

Go buy some adhesive vinyl from a local craft store long with corrugated plastic and make them yourself. Oracal 651 permanent is the best. Or if you can get your hands on it 3m retroreflective sheeting is great too especially for courses with glow rounds. Just make an arrow pattern to your liking and start tracing out arrows on the sheeting and start cutting out with a scissors. The corrugated plastic can be cut with a utility knife of some sort. I did these roughly the size of my iPhone - 3x5 inches I think? Drill 2 holes to hang them off the bottom of the tray with small s-hooks or similar. I put an arrow on each side FYI so I ended up cutting out 36 arrows.

It's a little time consuming but we've had them up for a little over 6 months and they seem to be holding up really well. Hecka cheap way to go and don't worry about making them perfect. I didn't and I think they look pretty dang good.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but once you get into a rhythm it goes surprisingly quick.

Attachments

• 287438539_10224731244840922_8555256567227930808_n.jpg
    287438539_10224731244840922_8555256567227930808_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: