• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night golf/glow golf strategy discussion.

Sewer bill

Eagle Member
Besides the obvious and having some discs that actually glow, what are you doing differently when the sun goes down? Or are you doing nothing different?

I played a very unprepared round of night golf and the locals put on a clinic and whooped me. It was really fun so I'd like to hear some ideas on how to improve.

One of the things I wasn't prepared for was having glow tape on the disc be the brightest point of light while teeing off. Does this affect anyone else it felt like I almost was closing my eyes to not have it work me.

Another thing that kind of threw me off was putting, is there any kind of half glow or sort of glow blends of plastic? I was almost trying to cover my putter with the other hand to get it out of my sight line.

Also shut up and throw the glow disc is an acceptable response.

Some people just don't use glow putters to putt. Depending on where you're playing that may or may not work (someone at league had one roll down a hill after he airballed a 15 footer, it rolled about 60 feet into the woods and had NO glow...took a while to find). There are LOTS of ****ty glow plastic blends...a lot more than the good blends lol. If it isn't Kasta or MVP, there are probably glow blends of the putter that aren't very good at glowing (current ones might be good, but there will be some 3-year-old glow discs out there somewhere with terrible glow properties).

I tend to use glow discs, then put super bright tape/vinyl on the disc as well (the glow disc even with poor glow helps me follow it in the air better, and the tape/vinyl helps me find it when I get up to the point I'm looking for it). I'm fine with the added glow, but I do make sure that I light the disc up without really looking directly at it, and I look away from it before throwing. I just don't want the "burn" of the glow in my eyes when I'm throwing. I like a super bright disc as I feel I can just get it in my peripheral vision when I throw, but I never really look directly at my disc in the light, so no issues there.

One tip to lessen overall glow if that's your goal...your flashlight will directly impact the level of glow. A great flashlight will light it up like Christmas. A lesser flashlight may not quite so much, and tossing your disc on the ground and casually glancing over the disc with your light from your hand may barely even light it up. Lots of little tricks to play with in terms of how bright you want it and how far away to position your light to get your optimal glow.

Shut up and throw the glow disc.

Just kidding.

I don't know what kind of magical discs you have but nothing I own glows bright enough to distract me. My putters and base plastic glow definitely don't glow bright.

I did pick up a few new discs for the upcoming season and one of them (an RPM disc) is probably going to glow like crazy. I have an eclipse 2.0 Envy sitting on top of it in the laundry room and if I go down there for just a couple of minutes when I turn the light off the Envy isn't glowing but the RPM disc below it is glowing like crazy.

A cheap mini Leticon flashlight from Amazon is awesome.. Almost too good. I have three of those things, one for the disc bag, one for the yard and one for the boat. The lower brightness is handy and so is the ability to focus the beam so you can really see the basket down a tunnel. It also has blacklight so it's awesome for looking for discs that charges them up like a mother f-er!

You could try just glowing a tiny flashlight sized portion of disc quickly, single dot. Just enough to catch a stray bounce but not enough to blind you. Buy some innova glow plastic :D it sucks :D. Haha I use MVP and a stray Kasta Svea, I use them as nightlight or a shield for my flashlight so it isn't too bright walking around but fully charged they throw a disgusting amount of light, I will still give the glowfly the nod for brightest glow disc ever made, MVP 2.0 is second (with blacklight) and kasta close behind. Kasta charges better with a crap light or ambient dusk but MVP holds a full charge forever, like 6 or 7 holes in without a charge. The glow on a Prototype electron envy is absolutely awesome, better than proton 2.0, feels sexy, throws sweeeeet

Just throw, find the tunnel and don't think about trees just a nice clean stroke and release. I have traditionally done well when I can't see the trees it gives you the chance to really focus on the throw.

Find a point in the sky that's lit up between the trees or a star on your line, it will still be there after the flashlight is gone. That's where you need to throw.

There's also a tactical advantage to using a non glow putter, it doesn't mark the basket for the next guy haha :D

Last edited:
Some of this comes down to what you mean by glow round. Some have lights on the basket so it is visible--doesn't sound like that's what you are doing.

So, a few more details about how the round is played would be useful.

Nothing fancy. Throwing slower, glow discs (RPM, Kastaplast, and recent MVP glow the brightest). You can putt with a normal putter. We usually illuminate the basket with a mobile phone flashlight. UV light (or we use "glow roller" boxes) to charge the discs. Stay out of trees as you can easily get a branch in the eye. No white lights ... they blind everyone.

Having the option of highlighting the basket is why I asked.

In casual play, you have options. But, in DG, it could be friendly rules or draconian.

You want to find your disc.

I use a UV flashlight to charge the disc and UV tape top and bottom in the center of the disc.

I bought 2" wide glow tape that works well on Amazon.

Note, tape on top of the disc makes it illegal for normal play. Per PDGA rules.

I don't put tape one my putter, but, the times of played in the dark, I haven't thrown my putter other than close in putts.

Ultimately if you are playing glow rounds, it is best to build a glow bag IMO and have a separate day bag.

I like to trim the glow tape in to circles and try to place it in the center of the disc to minimize imbalance. When done properly, I don't detect a flight change—but I'm not a bomber YMMV

I love glow golf, but it jacks my putting up because I cannot feel out the distance to the basket.

I love glow golf, but it jacks my putting up because I cannot feel out the distance to the basket.

Putting over 20 feet could be 25 feet or 60 feet and I can't distinguish the difference without lighting up the area, walking to the basket, etc. Upshots might be even worse.

It isn't difficult in areas with some ambient light, but one of the places I play is away from all light and in a state park. Wooded, little/no moonlight, it's just black. Awesome experience, terrible for depth perception.

Putting over 20 feet could be 25 feet or 60 feet and I can't distinguish the difference without lighting up the area, walking to the basket, etc. Upshots might be even worse.

It isn't difficult in areas with some ambient light, but one of the places I play is away from all light and in a state park. Wooded, little/no moonlight, it's just black. Awesome experience, terrible for depth perception.

"Lighting up the area" is strictly prohibited in ALL casual and tournament glow, that I have played. It ruins your night vision and that of all your cardmates. We use specific designed basket lights or simply hang a small, 5 bulb LED flashlight down the pole.

Anything other than blacklights are discouraged. NO SHINING THE FAIRWAY OR BASKET. Glow really requires the attention of the entire card on each throw. Keeping the hunting for disc to a minimum, makes for a far more enjoyable experience. Previous knowledge of the course is a plus. I have found that, even in wooded courses, with cloud cover and lack of ambient lighting, you can see pretty well in the dark, given everyone keeps the lights to a minimum.

Cold weather is a MAJOR consideration, here. Most use a LED light, https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?lsf=seller:151786389,store:4059634419399048063,lsfqd:0&prds=pid:14943496081719150641,oid:14943496081719150641&q=flying+disc&hl=en&ei=MnwkY_bxBumD0PEP3rGoqAc&sts=14&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajsZpp_eXBy5gxz0ZtjBLbTTwrL2B5SYSwCRlBIEOxXLzWy6WQRYrisaAjpAEALw_wcB taped to the underside of a disc. The proper tape, applied to room temp disc is paramount. Often hear of players using a blow dryer to set the adhesive.

Some of this comes down to what you mean by glow round. Some have lights on the basket so it is visible--doesn't sound like that's what you are doing.

So, a few more details about how the round is played would be useful.

Baskets are lit by dim led strip lights. Everything else is pitch black except the discs with glow tape or glow discs and it seemed like everyone made an effort to use UV lights to charge discs so as not to blind anyone.

Thanks for all the good replies everyone thinking it over it seems like I'm having a me problem and not necessarily an equipment problem. I'm going to fiddle around with a couple different glow discs and charging them differently to find that balance of being able to still find them yet not work myself by holding the brightest point of light.

Also much of the play is in the woods so I think making myself more familiar with the course in the daylight may lend to slightly better shots in the dark.

Depth perception is a common issue in low light conditions for pretty much everyone. Been too long, but it was part of training in boot camp. One of the things they told us was to look more more generally at the area of interest as opposed to trying to stare at the object of interest. Not sure if that makes sense, it just means you can't see S##t in the dark!

"Lighting up the area" is strictly prohibited in ALL casual and tournament glow, that I have played. It ruins your night vision and that of all your cardmates. We use specific designed basket lights or simply hang a small, 5 bulb LED flashlight down the pole.

Anything other than blacklights are discouraged. NO SHINING THE FAIRWAY OR BASKET. Glow really requires the attention of the entire card on each throw. Keeping the hunting for disc to a minimum, makes for a far more enjoyable experience. Previous knowledge of the course is a plus. I have found that, even in wooded courses, with cloud cover and lack of ambient lighting, you can see pretty well in the dark, given everyone keeps the lights to a minimum.

Cold weather is a MAJOR consideration, here. Most use a LED light, https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?lsf=seller:151786389,store:4059634419399048063,lsfqd:0&prds=pid:14943496081719150641,oid:14943496081719150641&q=flying+disc&hl=en&ei=MnwkY_bxBumD0PEP3rGoqAc&sts=14&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajsZpp_eXBy5gxz0ZtjBLbTTwrL2B5SYSwCRlBIEOxXLzWy6WQRYrisaAjpAEALw_wcB taped to the underside of a disc. The proper tape, applied to room temp disc is paramount. Often hear of players using a blow dryer to set the adhesive.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lighting up the area"...I'm talking about shining my blacklight in the direction I'm looking (i.e. toward the basket). We have to do it anyways, because the basket is only visible via the glow tape on it.

I like glow, but not the way my local club plays it. No illumination for the baskets and everyone runs around with their 1.21 gigawatt white LED flashlights ruining your night vision.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lighting up the area"...I'm talking about shining my blacklight in the direction I'm looking (i.e. toward the basket). We have to do it anyways, because the basket is only visible via the glow tape on it.

Shining any flashlight, at anything but your disc, should be highly discouraged. You should never shine any flashlight down a fairway or at a basket. (It is actually discussed in player meetings and against the rules) Glow tape for basket demarcation is a poor plan. Glow sticks or lights are the best way to go. It does take a bit of prep. Someone has to go out and attach lights or glow sticks and then collect them. We sometimes in casual play, just walk down each hole and place the light, grab it when the hole is complete and do the same for the next hole. A bit more walking and time. In organized play, we have 18 lights or a box of glow sticks. We prep the course ahead of play. Minimizing the use of any lights is such a huge part of the enjoyment and success of glow.

Public service announcement. Clean up your glow sticks!! It is litter and nobody want to clean up after you!!

I found these Solar Leds that I've mounted on some of my baskets for better night practice.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MD632MD?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I like them because they are round, so they light up the basket evenly, relatively low profile, and the solar panel is on top so the LED is pointed down.

No good in deep woods without regular sunlight and of course they don't last all night, but when they are on, they work well.

Shining any flashlight, at anything but your disc, should be highly discouraged. You should never shine any flashlight down a fairway or at a basket. (It is actually discussed in player meetings and against the rules) Glow tape for basket demarcation is a poor plan. Glow sticks or lights are the best way to go. It does take a bit of prep. Someone has to go out and attach lights or glow sticks and then collect them. We sometimes in casual play, just walk down each hole and place the light, grab it when the hole is complete and do the same for the next hole. A bit more walking and time. In organized play, we have 18 lights or a box of glow sticks. We prep the course ahead of play. Minimizing the use of any lights is such a huge part of the enjoyment and success of glow.

Public service announcement. Clean up your glow sticks!! It is litter and nobody want to clean up after you!!

Why I asked my original question. I know what I've done/seen, but unless it is some type of sanctioned play, people could be doing all kinds of different things.

Why I asked my original question. I know what I've done/seen, but unless it is some type of sanctioned play, people could be doing all kinds of different things.

For sure. It boils down to a courtesy thing. Shining a flashlight around in any glow round would probably get you chastised and made fun of around here. Different areas and groups might see it differently.